SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

what to do when passenger door doesnt open??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-09, 03:02 PM
Lexscme
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do when passenger door doesnt open??

Ok so i tried to get the passenger door open but no luck the inside handle broke off caused by my older brother,the door used to open but you had to put your shoulder into it to push out.

When you roll the window down itll stop halfway,when you try to open the door with the latch you can hear it tap the glass window?

So I dont know what else to do with this door...unbolt the door from the fender?? i dont what else...
Old 09-19-09, 04:39 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Search friend Search : )
Old 09-19-09, 06:08 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

use the search a little bit like mentioned, this is a common issue..

also quit rolling your paasenger window down, if it hasn't already damaged the rod that goes into your door handle, putting your window down will just make it worse..
Old 09-20-09, 12:41 AM
Lexscme
Pole Position

ive searched before and i know how to fix it.

But i tried takin the rear interior panel out to make room to try and get the door panel to pry open......no luck so i guess my passengers will have to crawl into the passenger seat. :/
Old 09-20-09, 01:26 PM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexscme
ive searched before and i know how to fix it.

But i tried takin the rear interior panel out to make room to try and get the door panel to pry open......no luck so i guess my passengers will have to crawl into the passenger seat. :/
I was in same situation when I bought my car. The passenger door stopped opening after I took it home. I had found a way to get the panel off with less damage than you think. Disconnect the window switches and door light. Pull the black pice of plastic by the door handle (Handle next to the lock mechanism, by the orange button) Then take a screw driver remove the nut. If you look at the lower half of the door, (the part you grab to close the door) look under that and there are two screws, unscrew them. You'll see that the top part wants to hang loose, now this part is totally up to you, you can pull the at the door where you unscrewed the nuts and it hangs low just know that you will break two tabs that hold the door together on the bottom of the door handle, it won't break the door or look that bad. The tough part reaching your hand up in the panel and pushing down on the lever on the door actuator and doors opened. This what you have to do if the metal bar that goes the actuator is broken, trust me, because if that window has been rubbing against that bar chances are it's broken or it will be. FYI window has to up to do this.

Now if is a problem the just the door handles just remove the the black piece of plastic by the orange sticker (Pop it with a flat head), You know the orange you see when the door are unlocked. There will be screw unscrew it. After you've removed the handle there will be two cords (They look like throttle cables) pull on the blue one, open the door. I'm not telling what to do but if I was you, once the door opened pull apart the whole door and take a look at the door actuator, If that bar is bent chances are your door will need a replacement. I just tried to fix myself and unless you know how weld Holla at ALGA he hook me up with one and I done with this in one hour.
Old 09-20-09, 04:21 PM
Lexscme
Pole Position

ok ill give it a try again,i already left the 3 screws off on the bottom of the door panel,just unscrew the door handle,door light,and the screws on the handle.