Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 09:22 AM
snook
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shifter for 1996 SC300 5 speed

I believe for my year car the only ones available are trd or Cs
they are both over 300 bucks

Do some SCs have one 5 speed trans and others another?
I read that 92-95s have a r154 trans and 96+ have a w58
Is that right and Which trans is better?

Are there any knock offs or any other options for a replacement shifter, I dont want to cut mine that doesn't really help as much or give the feel I want

Thanks
Old 10-08-09, 09:34 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

SC's all came with W58. the later models came with a different style shifter. spend the money on a legit shifter. ive had cheap ebay garbage break off in my hands.
Old 10-08-09, 10:43 AM
roxanne
Pole Position

You'd probably be wasting your money with an knockoff shifter, from what I've seen they're usually garbage. I have the TRD short shift and the throw is very short, but solid. Only problem is it can be a pain to get in reverse sometimes.
Old 10-08-09, 11:25 AM
snook
Racer

the w58 is the weaker trans compared to the r154 right?

I dont know about them being garbage, honestly a short shifter isnt much more than a piece of metal, if they copied the trd or cs it should be the same except for the quality of the material used.

Reverse is hard to get into for me sometimes on the stock shifter already.

I've got to get a short shifter and NA-T this car I'm really missing out I believe
Old 10-08-09, 12:12 PM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snook
honestly a short shifter isnt much more than a piece of metal
ooh boy, you have MUCH to learn about cars

if they copied the trd or cs it should be the same except for the quality of the material used.
Thats why they're cheap; they're made of cheap materials. This shouldn't really be a hard of a concept to grasp.

"knock off" and "lexus" shouldn't even be in the same sentence.
Old 10-08-09, 12:13 PM
snook
Racer

teach me teach me how old are you 20?
Old 10-08-09, 12:19 PM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

its common sense. learn it and apply it
Old 10-08-09, 03:48 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know about them being garbage, honestly a short shifter isnt much more than a piece of metal, if they copied the trd or cs it should be the same except for the quality of the material used.

I've got to get a short shifter and NA-T this car I'm really missing out I believe
you said it yourself...quality is the key word...good quality vs. bad quality..hellloooo. TRD is obviously gonna be better quality over any ebay junk.

and i got no idea what your last few words are trying to say...
Old 10-08-09, 05:25 PM
roxanne
Pole Position

^^ obviously all the boosted sc stories and how much fun everyone has with them on this forum will make almost anyone want to go na-t at least. Me included...i just have no money
Old 10-08-09, 07:49 PM
snook
Racer

Originally Posted by roxanne
^^ obviously all the boosted sc stories and how much fun everyone has with them on this forum will make almost anyone want to go na-t at least. Me included...i just have no money
I've had 2 turbo cars and 1 supercharged

turbo is the way to go, plus the 2jz just sounds so nice turboed, its the coolest sound even better than a v8 for me. Turbos are also more fun than superchargers.

I hope you can turbo yours very soon. I know as soon as I feel safe spending the money I will do it
Old 10-08-09, 08:05 PM
Holtspeed
Driver

Ive seen some people use ebays ver., didnt sound like they were to bad.... obviously c's and trd are going to be a better product
anyone else use ebay??
Old 10-08-09, 08:09 PM
snook
Racer

I've had a short shifter in every car Ive owned, Ive tried probably 10 brands in total on all different cars. Never gone with an off brand, usually look for the best.

But this is my cheapest car so far a daily driver. I dont neeeeed a short shifter so Ill try it and if I like it keep it.

you guys who are bashing a knock off shifter need to look at what it is. Its a piece of metal, if its exactly the same shape as the Cs shifter and tolerances are the same its going to be exactly the same. Only thing I could see happening is the metal breaking or something in freezing weather. I had that happen once on a 300 dollar RX7 short throw shifter. This is not a piston or internal engine part
Old 10-08-09, 08:15 PM
Holtspeed
Driver

Originally Posted by HellFish
SC's all came with W58. the later models came with a different style shifter. spend the money on a legit shifter. ive had cheap ebay garbage break off in my hands.
lol wow that makes me double take on ebay stuff haha you have any pics??
Old 10-08-09, 09:17 PM
Holtspeed
Driver

I've had a short shifter in every car Ive owned, Ive tried probably 10 brands in total on all different cars. Never gone with an off brand, usually look for the best.

But this is my cheapest car so far a daily driver. I dont neeeeed a short shifter so Ill try it and if I like it keep it.

you guys who are bashing a knock off shifter need to look at what it is. Its a piece of metal, if its exactly the same shape as the Cs shifter and tolerances are the same its going to be exactly the same. Only thing I could see happening is the metal breaking or something in freezing weather. I had that happen once on a 300 dollar RX7 short throw shifter. This is not a piston or internal engine part
This was the shifter, i was going to get
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...Q5fAccessories
Old 10-08-09, 09:33 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry for bashing if it even makes a difference.
i guess what i was trying to add to this thread, purely opinion based, is that no body wants their shifter breaking mid-throw...just thinking about it makes me laugh-out-loud.
any ebay items that work should be thrown into a thread especially for the purpose that no one wants to waste money on a cheapo product.
not everyone shops on ebay i know this. yet saving money is always nice, especially if the product holds its own.

edit: that one you put up, d32, looks like a fine product.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter for 1996 SC300 5 speed