SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-02 | 09:46 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Unhappy Frustrated

Ok folks I am seriously thinking about doing something to my SC. After broken promises of forced induction from companies I am thinking the only way to make the power I want is to do an engine swap on my SC400 and replace it with a 2JZ. I have looked at threads before but never saw a definitive answer.

1. How much hardware do you think this would take? Other than the entire drive train. I am talking about mounting hardware or anything else.

2. Do you think it is worth it?

3. Would it be real hard to put in a manual transmission into an automatic SC400,

or hard to put the 2JZ and mate it to the stock SC400 tranny?

Any advice would be helpful. Just getting frustrated over the how few mods there are for our cars.
Old 04-25-02 | 09:59 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

If you want anything done, you gotta do it yourself---cold hard truth. If you were looking into going mod crazy on a car, you should have bought an SC300. It shouldn't be too hard for you to sell or trade-in your SC400 for a compareable SC300 5-speed and get money back. That would ultimately be the wisest choice IMO, if you were serious about performance and aftermarket.

If you want to try and hold out a little longer, Manaray has alluded to a low priced supercharger on the horizon for the 1UZ-FE. Details are sketchy at this time, but it might be worth a wait.
Old 04-26-02 | 09:04 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

hermosa, why don't you drop in a GTE? Otherwise, I agree with lex400sc, if you want 400-500hp or less, trade in for an SC3 and turbo the GE, but if you're looking for big power, and would have gone with a GTE eventually anyway, why not do the swap? It would be the same as putting a GTE into an SC3, except you'd need some extras like the motor mounts, AC lines, etc. $12,000 ballpark and you'd be all set. The automatic is very strong, believe it or not, PF has put as much as 650hp into a stock automatic, not to say it didn't slip, but they're good to 400-450hp generally, which IMO is very strong for a stock automatic. Is there a reason you want to hang on to the SC4? Just curious, there's a couple reasons why I haven't gotten rid of mine yet.
- Jon
Old 04-26-02 | 09:51 AM
Static911

TM Engineering

They are getting somethin going for the SC4. I am trying to get in hold of them for more info.

Stay tuned.

ethan
Old 04-26-02 | 11:09 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Someone is offering an entire 2JZ-GE powertrain for under $1000.
Old 04-26-02 | 03:40 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Static, it'll be awhile before Todd has something ready for the 1UZ, but I assure it'll be top-notch. A TT kit for the 1UZ will be a reality, it's just a matter of time, I personally don't know how long I can wait. Todd also has a wiiild SC4 shop car coming out, twin turbo 1UZ, plus more serious ***** than you can shake a stick at. As of right now, the money is better spent on a 2JZ, but the 1UZ future's so bright, Lex's gotta wear shades....
Old 04-26-02 | 03:42 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

TME
Attached Thumbnails Frustrated-tme-project-sc4-on-slicks.jpg  
Old 04-27-02 | 05:54 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

what year is that?
Old 04-28-02 | 06:42 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Todd's car is a 92 SC4, it got the wheels off the ground, pretty impressive for an IRS car. Wait 'till you see it come back out Bean....
Old 07-03-02 | 04:30 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Who is the person that had the drivetrain for sale? I have cash, and am willing to come and pick it up next week if you have a decent milage 2jz and 5 speed. Step forward and let yourselves be known!!! PM me or email me at camshaft20@yahoo.com
Old 07-03-02 | 06:18 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

I too have agonised over these questions - I nearly bought half a car from Japan with a 1JZGTE complete from radiator to trans and all the bits for $1100 US - then I looked at a 2JZGTE Aristo half cut for $1700 US - then I tried to fit in twin turbos and a supercharger - I have so much extra plumbing around my engine due to the active suspension that TT plumbing would never fit ever.
I had Tex's headers in my hands and I kept putting it off fitting them in case I could get a turbo in there. On my car only high mount turbos and a new front entry air intake manifold would come close with a new hood - stuff that.
So I have now decided to go down the Ferrari/Maserati V8 path to big hp.
This will be exhaust, cams, intake, heads, ecu and trans mods.

SC400 has 175 hp at the wheels
GS400 has 240 hp at the wheels (different intake and VVTi, ECU?)
Ferrari F355/ new Maserati 4.2l V8 has 300 hp at the wheels.

check out these links for more info:
http://www.dynospotracing.com/f355.htm
http://www.geocities.com/ninek13/ferrari/355engine.htm

Check out the dyno graph below to see what a whopping difference this is.

The key to unlocking the power would have to be programmable engine management.

I have seen two examples where the heads on our V8's have been ported to return 20% better flow - this can equate to 20% more horsepower in some cases. I can cost $1100 US to get the heads ported.

In Australia we can get a dyno tuned programmable engine computer (piggyback fuel and timing) for $900 drive in drive out. This has taken a 1UZ-FE from 170 hp at the wheels to 230 hp at the wheels (full exhaust, MAP sensor - so you can through the VAF in the bin).

So add head porting and cams and we may crack 250 hp at the wheels.

Value for money? - perhaps not. But I like it how this method you can do a bit at a time - rather than the whole lot up front.

I have a Soarer transmission guy lives close to me. I can drive in, get a 2750 stall TC, trans cooler, service drive out for $431 US - some of the prices for TC in the US look very expensive - but our exchange rate makes that look better.
Cost is $865 Aud - where a Big Mac meal cost about $5 AUD - so total cost is 173 Big Mac meals - so that may give a better approx real world cost.
He can also fit shift kits - makes the changes much much quicker - full custom - he calls the fastest meanest shift kit the "Dash Cracker" - ain't that a cool name? For 1/4 mile use only. With the higher stall convertor and shift kit you can smoke the tires off the line and chirp them changing gears.

So I get my headers fitted and back today - that's the end of the exhaust for me. Cams are half done - mild. Next is tans mods (no dash cracker for me - but higher stall and quicker shifts yes), ECU, then head porting. One step at a time.
Attached Thumbnails Frustrated-71.gif  
Old 07-03-02 | 08:00 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Peter, as always, great info.
- Jon
Old 07-05-02 | 06:42 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Peter,

Is the torque converter custom made? Are you putting a new TQ or reworking your original one? If you are putting in the new TQ, how much does it cost, who makes it, is that company well known in Australia?

Thanks,
Old 07-05-02 | 01:31 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

My car makes 235 hp at the wheels after all the stuff I've done to it. However, I'm seriously considering a Z06 Corvette... In fact I'm going to try to get a test drive here soon.
Old 07-05-02 | 02:21 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default IF you get the Z06

Hey Max, if you happen to get the Z06, I'd be happy to take that weapon-r intake/ecu off your hands if you are going to sell your car.

Also, if you are interested. My buddy has a non Z06 C5 vette that runs 350hp..but has an intake. Should pull about 375. His lease runs out after 2002. If you want that car, I can contact him about it.

Quick Reply: Frustrated