SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How do you kick the mod bug addiction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 07:00 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's acctually really easy not to have the mod bug when you don't have any money. Also, I don't like body kits or big fancy wheels, I feel if it doesnt have a function other than looks, you really don't need it.
Old 10-25-09, 11:34 AM
omidg89
Pole Position

dont replace anything unless its needed and when you do replace it make sure you dont have to do it that again anytime soon.
Old 10-26-09, 09:47 AM
terrylin
Driver

Not helping with the cause, but wanted to share that I just bought these headlights on the classifieds:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...eadlights.html
Not considered a mod...my passenger headlight has condensation and my driver side has some annoying cracks. Told my wife that headlights are considered a "safety" issue. On a side note, would I be able to get HID's on these way down the road? Or do I need aftermarket heads? If HID conversion kits aren't compatible with these then I will not have to worry about ever going down that route!
Old 10-26-09, 09:55 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by attzor
It's acctually really easy not to have the mod bug when you don't have any money.
true but even if you have money it is still easy it is just self control or another alternative pick up an expensive hobby like golf lol
Old 10-26-09, 10:08 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
get married...
AMEN!!!

actually the issue could be exacerbated if she is into modding as well which is my case.

The main point is you have to set priorities. the issue is not modding a car, it is controlling your spending habits across the board.
Old 10-26-09, 11:47 AM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Keep breaking *****. It's always fun to replace them...... lol
Old 10-26-09, 12:50 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

LOL.. kinda true on breaking ****.. My coilovers were shot, so i bought new ones... and then i also bought the TEAS system to go with it.. but now... my brakes are kinda wearing out.... so might as well upgrade to the TT Supra brake kit.. awww man.. the calipers are too big.. i need bigger wheels... ****.. now i need better tires..... i'm sure you all understand.. hahaha
Old 10-26-09, 01:22 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I did...

I made sure I had a game plan before even buying my car. I had to factor in what I wanted to do as far as mods go vs. what I really needed for the car. I also wanted to build a very simple car, which helps to keep the cost down a bit. I also researched on where I could find these parts the cheapest. The easier it is for you to plan, the better off you'll be because you won't be wasting your time.

I made sure my car was running in tip top shape before I began modifying it. I knew I wasn't going with the forced induction route, so I made sure ALL of my services were caught up. Parts that needed to be replaced were addressed first with aftermarket components. For an example, my car needed new shocks. So why not invest in Coilovers right? I just killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

As far as buying your mods, just take 1 step at a time. A build does not and should not happen overnight imo(Unless you're a trillionaire). Save up enough money to only do each step along the way. I used a credit card on all my purchases to be honest with you. You MUST be disciplined to have just the right amount of money you can afford so that you can pay it off on that statement. I'll be the first to tell you, don't buy it if you don't have the money for it. You have to resist that urge to spend. If you have a goal, work at it. It's not going anywhere. No one is pressuring you. A build is a build, wether it takes 2 years or 10 years. It's the final product is what counts.

To answer your question, if you have the "mod" bug, you won't be able to kick it unless something drastic happens. For me, it will always be in my blood. I'm now focusing on modding my truck. Just be smart when modding. Hope this helps
Old 10-26-09, 02:36 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

im still trying to figure this one out.. =/
Old 10-26-09, 04:39 PM
imarshall
Pole Position

You can't. Everything you start with leads to something else you want/need.

First you say you need suspension. Well, I'll need wheels with that, but wait... I may need to roll fenders, shoot camber kit.. hmmm nice big win lip kit to make that suspension look sick... oh crap.. need to paint those parts... but then headlights will look dull... and the badges... crap whats a good looking car without being fast... gotta work on booost..ldfkjgljdsfgljsdfljkgskldfgklsdf;

it never ends!
Old 10-26-09, 05:34 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Yep , you hit it on the nail ^
Old 10-26-09, 07:37 PM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Well.. Just stop working, stop enjoying cars, and maybe plug your ears..LoL
Or, you can be like me and have a daughter on the way... That definitely helps LoL
Old 10-26-09, 07:40 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

i think all the kids in the world wouldnt stop me from modding me car. its sad.
Old 10-26-09, 07:47 PM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ashtray
i think all the kids in the world wouldnt stop me from modding me car. its sad.
Maybe not stop you but slow you down..

Cribs, strollers, diapers, clothes, bottles etc are pretty damn expensive! LoL $390 for a crib.. $250 for a stroller... yea, hard to get that turbo kit when you're spending money on other quite expensive items...
Old 10-26-09, 08:27 PM
terrylin
Driver

Originally Posted by Justinizme
Maybe not stop you but slow you down..

Cribs, strollers, diapers, clothes, bottles etc are pretty damn expensive! LoL $390 for a crib.. $250 for a stroller... yea, hard to get that turbo kit when you're spending money on other quite expensive items...
make sure your wife nurses - baby formula is super duper expensive! and aint no shame in hand me downs either!

Quick Reply: How do you kick the mod bug addiction?