SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

modding costs too much for these cars!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-02, 10:09 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modding costs too much for these cars!!!!!

Okay, got some pretty hard numbers back from a couple diff places.

The garage that "promised" me a 4K conversion for my engine swap has changed their tune.

THey finally got a hard look at my car and the vvti engine that they would swap and they were like "OH..you want the guages and ALL the wiring too? The steering wheel and keys have to come w/it too..etc etc". So after it's all said and done, everthing that needs to be transplanted is the entire FRONT of the car...
seemingly.

Their labor quote went up to 7k. And 2weeks to work on it.
WAY too much for 50hp at the crank...

So I called around to TOYSPORT down in Southern Cali.
TOYSPORT is what I would call the west coast version of toyomoto. They're basically the samething. Turbo tuners of the supra engine on supras, and lexuses.

Toysports said they'd gladly do a 2jz-gte twin turbo swap for my 1uz-fe. Of course they had to mention it would be easier and CHEAPER if I had the sc300 engine, 2jz-ge instead.
Anyhow...their price was a MERE 12K for the swap w/a 5spd manual..and 15K for the 6spd manual and they'd need my car for 2 months, and also would need to see the car every 3,000 miles for the first six months to see that eveything is OK..

Even if I had the Sc300 engine, they quoted me at 10K and 2 months labor for conversion to the supra engine.

7K? 10K? 12k? 15k?

Man....

if this is what is costs for the STOCK supra swap, IMAGINE, the costs like say on Jeff(Sc300turbo)'s car or Clint's car evenSc300 97 w/the T76 turbo.
Those motors must be 30K or more...

Man, I need a new job. Wish my stocks hadn't gone down the tubes

As for now, I'm staying put, until something substantial happens, Maybe I'll just pick up an intake/ecu

Anthracite.

p.s. Supercharging the 1uz-fe seems like a bargain now...
Old 04-29-02, 10:21 AM
Twirl
Pole Position

Thumbs down

almost makes ya wish ya'd bought a supra =P ALMOST,,but your right, i agree, it costs to much to mod these cars, 7k for a damn turbo? how what kinda hp gains would we be getting for 7k???? it better be damn worth it,
Old 04-29-02, 10:40 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Actually

7k is my engine swap cost for the 300hp V-8 Lexus engine 1uz-fe vvti. That's from a local garage in northern california.

300hp for 7k up from my 250hp.

10K and up are the costs from toysport regarding the swap to a supra engine. 10K for the sc300 to supra swap
12K for the Sc400 to supra swap. 15K for the Sc400 swap plus a 6 spd manual

320hp for 12-15K. Up from my 250hp.

Cost efficient?
I'll let you guys decide.
Old 04-29-02, 11:36 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trade it in for an SC3 and turbo it, I went through the same conundrum as you, and it's still the best option as of right now.
Old 04-29-02, 11:47 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

These are $50,000 cars, if you want cheap spead, there's a million better alternatives, get yourself an 80's 5.0 notch and throw on a used blower and a 50shot, find a CRX or Civic and build a 'Frankenstein' motor with 1.8 LS bottom end and V-Tec top end, or turbo a B16 motor, or find an 80's Regal for 500 bucks and drop in a '86-87 GN drivetrain or a budget stroker, or build up a DSM.........
Attached Thumbnails modding costs too much for these cars!!!!!-compressed-83-t-type.jpg  
Old 04-29-02, 11:47 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Michael, I can get you a hell of a lot more HP than 320hp for 12-15k!
Old 04-29-02, 12:38 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default would that be with

Are you talking about modding the 1uz-fe Clint or going to a supra swap?

Also, I'm trying NOT to spend 10-15K was more my mind set, and was wondering what I could do w/6K and each option kept getting more and more expensive.
Old 04-29-02, 12:38 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Or you could always buy mine

SR
Old 04-29-02, 12:46 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I would have already bought it wiz, but I'd never be able to register the car here. I'm thinking about picking up a pre-73 Datsun Z and buying a Skyline R34 motor and transmission to put in it. A cage, suspension work, brake upgrade and a good dose of electronics and I'd be in business with a light and super fast smog exempt car.
Old 04-29-02, 02:05 PM
XTC
Driver

Buick Grand National, 7k for car, 7k for upgrades, high 10's when driven right. The budget racer as my mechanic calls it. He has three of them, i am looking for one for myself. **** spending 30grand on a lexus and 15grand on mods to still be slower then an old g-body car. My Lex is stayin stock and lookin slick.

If you cant beat them, join them.

J

BTW- My bmw m3 project is moving along, we pulled the frame yesterday and today and finally all the parts have come in. I would say one week and the car will be up here with before and after pics. Maybe ill take some in-between pics tomrrow and post them.
Attached Thumbnails modding costs too much for these cars!!!!!-pic4post.jpg  
Old 04-29-02, 02:15 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Lex is using those big words again!!!! Did the guy in the SC gallery pics with the vortech ever get it up and running?? I'm assuming he was going to have some computer issues to work out. I don't see how come we can't make 4 to 6 pounds of boost on these motors without having computer problems. Oh the agony!!! Need more horsepower!!!!!

Shane
Old 04-29-02, 02:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for 12-15k I could buy a 92 SC300 and turbo it and still have money leftover
Old 04-29-02, 02:27 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default the point is,

You guys are running away w/this 15K thing.

The point is not how much bang for the buck you can get for 15K. I'm sure there's TONS of things you can do to maximise 15K of modding money.

My point was I do NOT want to spend 15K.

I was stating that 7K, 10k, 12K and 15K were the quotes I'm getting and I found it dissapointing for that amount of money.

I was looking for something below 7K for some real power and NO, trading down to a grand national is NOT an option.
and w/under 7K as the target..getting an Sc300 is not an option either. Sorry guys.

the"ACTUALLY" forum and the "Mods to expesnive" threads were actually supposed to be one. I hope someone can help combine them
Old 04-29-02, 02:28 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default My point was...

You guys are running away w/this 15K thing.

The point is not how much bang for the buck you can get for 15K. I'm sure there's TONS of things you can do to maximise 15K of modding money.

My point was I do NOT want to spend 15K.

I was stating that 7K, 10k, 12K and 15K were the quotes I'm getting and I found it dissapointing for that amount of money.

I was looking for something below 7K for some real power and NO, trading down to a grand national is NOT an option. =)
and w/under 7K as the target..getting an Sc300 is not an option either. Sorry guys.

Besides NITROUS...anything doable?

the"ACTUALLY" forum and the "Mods to expesnive" threads were actually supposed to be one. I hope someone can help combine them
Old 04-29-02, 03:01 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Anthracite, I know you're not looking to trade for a GN, but I thought XTC would get a kick out of this. A few years ago I picked up an '84 T-Type in very nice shape for $2500 from an older gentleman, got an '87 GN drivetrain (minus rear, but I already had the 8.5" 3.42 rear) for $600 (no bull) motor, turbo, intercooler, trans, ECU, harness, sensors, everything, even some chrome hardpipes, silicone connectors, and t-bolt clamps included, delivered to my driveway. Picked up 87 GN bumpers for $150 from a kid in Brooklyn, a set of Welds new in the box from a guy in Queens for $300, etc, etc. Did the install in my driveway (gravel!) over the course of a week, got my buddy Anthony to help my wrench, he didn't ask for a single dollar, just that I picked up a sack for him each night, i'd say I got off cheap. Had a solid foundation, a 13sec car, for about $3500, then I called John at Eastern Performance and started writing cheques. Ended up with plenty of money left over to replace all the 200-R4 automatics that thing used to cook on a 275-50 Hoosier Quick Time. That being said, i'd still rather have a turbo SC, though a legit GNX would be nice....
Attached Thumbnails modding costs too much for these cars!!!!!-compressed-t-type-welds.jpg  

Quick Reply: modding costs too much for these cars!!!!!