SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

another cheap exhaust option for the sc

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 05:26 PM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

It sounds louder in person. I guess the camera cant pick up the lows accurately.

Its loud and deep enough to set off 2 car alarms on my street. The stock system couldn't. So that should be a good comparison.

Ill try to upload a better video of the car taking off, and get some more pics. Overall Im happy with the system. Im probably gonna be taking off the tips though, I think it looks better and more classy without them. Im gonna see how much louder it gets when it start to break in. Im gonna be getting 2.5 piping from the cat with resonators removed I think.
Old 11-23-09, 11:11 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any more pics or vids or the system?? Still interested....
Old 11-23-09, 11:19 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
i still cant believe people are willing to pay 300+ for an axle back exhaust.
lol i got turbo back exhaust done for 375 including mufflers, hangers, flanges, piping and 5 hours of labors
Old 11-23-09, 01:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax98
lol i got turbo back exhaust done for 375 including mufflers, hangers, flanges, piping and 5 hours of labors
some people are not as interested in performance and only seem to care about the last 2 feet of their exhaust system. in that regards it looks ok.
I still prefer my dual 3" Zees Catback exhaust system even though its used.
Old 11-23-09, 02:50 PM
soulific
Advanced

Originally Posted by One_jZ_SC3
any more pics or vids or the system?? Still interested....
Ill try to get some up this weekend. I just need to get my hands on another camera.
Old 12-20-09, 10:12 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Got mine. ALot better quality than I was expecting..

Last edited by CP_Ree; 01-06-10 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 10:18 AM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks pretty good. I wish the tips stuck out a bit more though.
Old 12-20-09, 12:52 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
i still cant believe people are willing to pay 300+ for an axle back exhaust.
this is nothing! 5zigens are like a minimum of $700 for axleback! But they sound beautiful.
Old 12-20-09, 01:03 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TomLee
this is nothing! 5zigens are like a minimum of $700 for axleback! But they sound beautiful.
Exactly, $700 and anything around/above that is an absolute rip off. 10"(total) of piping, two flanges and two mufflers for $700? What a joke, and don't try to justify it with the "quality" arguement. Unless it's Titanium or made out of gold, I don't see a reason to justify that...
Old 12-20-09, 01:15 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Ill try to justify it.
From these two pictures, what I don't like is that on the ebay exhaust, it looks like a tip wrapped over a stock exhaust. I hate when you see a small inner pipping. On the 5zigen it's true to its size. Also the metal seems thicker on the 5zigen, which imo at least looks better. I can't compare the sounds so I can't comapre that, but the 5zigen sounds very deep and has no raspy-ness to it at all, which is good.

And your price argument can really be applied to anything. Your arguing about a material to price problem. Well in that sense, why do you have a lexus sc? You could have gotten a ford focus hatchback, it still has 2 doors, an engine, and gets you from point a to point b. It's all in the brand name, the aesthetics, and quality.
Old 12-20-09, 02:11 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Ill try to justify it.
From these two pictures, what I don't like is that on the ebay exhaust, it looks like a tip wrapped over a stock exhaust. I hate when you see a small inner pipping.
You can only see it so clearly because it's brand new and hasn't become black on the inside....

On the 5zigen it's true to its size.
I'm pretty sure the 5 zigen does not have 4" piping to be "true" to the tip sizing.

Also the metal seems thicker on the 5zigen, which imo at least looks better.
I don't think it's a fair comparison to the 5zigen being it's a differently designed exhaust. What I would compare it to is the Greddy or the Tanabe's "rear" sections of their exhausts but the difference seems to be in the tip's styling (simple solution, chop it off and weld on a different tip)

And your price argument can really be applied to anything. Your arguing about a material to price problem. Well in that sense, why do you have a lexus sc? You could have gotten a ford focus hatchback, it still has 2 doors, an engine, and gets you from point a to point b. It's all in the brand name, the aesthetics, and quality.
I didn't buy my SC300 for a "status"/brand-name reason of having a LEXUS...I could give a ***** less if it had a Mitsubishi badge on it(as I've owned many other cars before). It's a 12 yr old car, and it's got great easy power/comfort/styling potential. A Ford Focus does not(but that is to each his own also on that topic also).

IMO, if you're buying a $700 5Zigen for the styling, go for it, but if you're buying it because you're thinking it's gonna make more power than a $260 ebay exhaust, umm no, you've gotta be kidding yourself.
Old 12-20-09, 06:43 PM
soulific
Advanced

Ive thought about all this talked about in the thread after I got my ebay system.

The performance will be exactly the same. this argument is over a axleback system. If performance was the case, people would have to look to a catback system. Since this is only a axleback The only difference is looks , quality, and maybe sound.

The top speed system to me is built nice, the sound is deep, not raspy but the volume is low. Which isnt a bad thing. Whenever I usually see a cop my spidey senses come on. With this exhaust after a couple times passing a cop, Im not worried anymore. The tone is just the right amount of volume.

The looks hands down, I like the 5zigens more. I actually considered selling my topspeeds and getting 5zigens just for the looks. The ebay system looks more racer, the 5 zigens are a bit more classy. On a stock body the 5zigens are just awesome to look at.

As of now the main thing is the price. You cant beat the price of this axleback. Im considering and looking for new exhaust tips to get welded on to fix my complaints about looks.

So yeah,

- if you got money to spend like water and want something to flaunt = get 5zigens

- if you want something that'll do the trick and isnt crappy and dont care about what other people think = get these top speed pro's

Either way both of these are better than stock
Old 12-20-09, 10:23 PM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

well said brotha
Old 12-21-09, 06:53 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snook
wondering if anyone knows how loud do NATs get on stock exhaust? I believe you have to remove the first cat but then the turbo would act as a silencer at idle.

what about removing just the resonators what would that do?
I have not read this whole thread to see if anyone answered your question. My NA-T is LOUD - but it's because my wastegate dumps to atmosphere., other than that, its actually quieter because the turbo muffles it.
Old 12-21-09, 07:12 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blitz Nur Spec and call it a day

Quick Reply: another cheap exhaust option for the sc