SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

For those who don't drive/store their cars in the winter..

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 07:44 AM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who don't drive/store their cars in the winter..

what do you do? Do you pull the wheels off, put it on stands and put a cover on? I need some advice, I bought a truck daily beater and I want to keep my SC3 as nice as I possibly can. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-28-09, 08:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

clean it, put a fresh layer of wax on it. if its outside a cover is a good way to go.
best thing is to keep it in a garage. I don't see why you would take the wheels off.
If you have really nice wheels, you could put your stock wheels back on so the weather doesn't do any damage to them (usually more of a problem with chrome).
Old 10-28-09, 08:24 AM
icy_SC
Driver School Candidate

I washed the hell out of mine then waxed it. Parked her in the garage and covered. I do start her up every couple weeks. I dont pull the wheels off or anything like that either. If you got chrome wheels, put a bunch of wax on them too.

Old 10-28-09, 09:47 AM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

I was planning on cleaning the entire underside of the car, and if I take the wheels off, I wouldn't wanna hassle with putting them back on because they salt the roads in NE, so that would deter me from driving it and risking rust
Old 10-28-09, 09:55 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I park mine in a garage for the winter. I usually give it a really good clean inside and out, a coat of wax, and thorough underbody wash. I start it every few weeks and let it get up to temperature, and will move the car about a foot back or forwards to minimize tire flatspotting. That's about it.
Old 10-28-09, 01:03 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i thought this was a little over the top... but was interesting nonetheless.

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Well, this winter I'll be storing two cars at my uncle's company's warehouse: the IS F and the new addition, the R8. While I've bought a set of winter tires for the R8, I'll only be taking it when weather permits and during those truly frigid months such as January and February, it will be in storage. Here is what you'll need:

- A can of fuel stabilizer. My personal favorite is Sta-Bil, but some use a combination of 100LL and Sta-Bil - never tried it myself.
- A full tank of gas.
- A large blue tarp.
- A good, breathable car cover.
- Some mineral wool if you're really ****.

1. You'll want to get a full tank of gas of the highest octane fuel possible. Fill it right to the top and add in your can of fuel stabilizer. I typically choose a gas station that is closest to where I am storing the car, as 5 minutes is basically all you need to get the stabilizer in all of the nooks and cranies of the fuel tank and the fuel lines. Adding fuel stabilizer will prevent condensation from forming inside the fuel tank and spoiling the fuel. Low-octane fuel typically deteriorates after 3 weeks, so this is why it is very important to add the stabilizer to a fresh tank of gas, or else it won't work.

2. Lay the tarp down flat wherever you're storing the car. The tarp will seperate your car from the pavement, as concrete is notorious for sucking up moisture. This will prevent your tires from drying out and your underbelly from rusting. It is imperative to combine the tarp with a good, breathable car cover.

3. Prior to covering your car you will want to change the oil. Moisture is your enemy when storing the car and old oil typically traps moisture inside the block and will over time cause internal components to rust. You want fresh oil in your car when it goes into storage and when it comes out of it. Some people add an additive such as Z-Max to keep the block thoroughly lubricated during the winter... but such methods are relatively unproven. Also, inflate your tires to the maximum pressure recommended by the tire's manufacturer (typically 51-60 psi).

4. Now you don't have to do this as some consider it more of a hassle than anything else, but you will want to cover any openings large enough to harbor vermins such as rodents. I typically stuff my intake and exhaust with mineral wool, which can be found at any hardware store basically. Rodents will not be able to eat through the mineral wool, as opposed to if you stuff the holes with rags like some people do. Take note of where you put the wool (I take pictures) so that you don't forget any when you start the car up every other week.

5. For those of you who are very ****, here'S a neat little trick. When I took delivery of the car I requested to keep all of the plastic that covers the interior of the car such as the seats and the dash. Every time I winterize the car I put the plastics back on in order to prevent dust from getting on the seats over the winter. The warehouse it is stored in is a partically dusty environment and I was afraid some dust could get in through the ducts.

6. Cover the car with a high quality car cover made from a material that breathes. This will prevent moisture from getting trapped between the cover and the car, preventing premature corrosion. Make sure that it is not too snug and not too loose. Give the car a wash before you cover it... it will prevent you from scratching the finish when you remove and put back on the cover when you start it.

7. You may use a battery tender or trickle charger. I personally do not. Instead, I start the car once every two weeks and allow it to come to operating temperature whilst varying the revs, never going above 3500 rpm. This typically takes 5-10 minutes at most. I typically do this with the hood open so that moisture does not get trapped inside the engine bay. I let the engine cool back down to room temp before closing the hood. If weather permits, it is best to drive the car in order to further prevents flat spots. Make sure to inflate the tires back to the recommended pressure before driving it around, though. Also, make sure to remove any mineral wool you might've stuffed in any intakes or ducts. The 5-10 minutes of running at idle typically takes care of any parasitic losses the battery might've suffered whilst the car was left unoperated. Driving the car around will also prevent the suspension from bottoming out... but today's systems are less prone to that. What you can do is rock the car back and forth a bit... this will both put the suspension system to work and keep the fuel thoroughly homogeneus.

8. When summer comes around, simply change the oil and put the pressure back to the recommended psi, and you're good to go. I typically have a full inspection done at the dealership to make sure nothing was broken or anything over the winter. It costs about $200 and is well worth it, I think.

That's pretty much it.

If you think I've forgotten something or I'm doing something wrong, feel free to comment. I've been doing this for years, with no problems whatsoever.
Old 10-28-09, 01:25 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by durtysc300
I was planning on cleaning the entire underside of the car, and if I take the wheels off, I wouldn't wanna hassle with putting them back on because they salt the roads in NE, so that would deter me from driving it and risking rust
they don't really use straight salt anymore. the stuff they use now isn't terrible for your car if you wash it off every once in a while. Just hide your keys or something. I wouldn't take my wheels off my car for an extended period of time unless I was working on it. in fact you will be exposing your hubs to the elements more if you take your wheels off. were talking about rusty hubs, lugs, and brake calipers to boot. plus I'm assuming you don't have a garage if you're asking about what to do. would you really leave your nice car outside on jackstands. all it takes is pulling one lever on your jackstands and your car can come crashing down by some kids who think it will be funny or something.
just sounds like a really bad idea. just throw on stock wheels, or if you dont have any, pick some up on craiglist for a few hundred bucks.
Old 10-28-09, 03:59 PM
sbs9
Driver School Candidate

Pretty much everything in the FisforFast list is good, except the plastic on the seats. Leather needs to breathe.

One other thing - put a bunch of dryer sheets inside and close it up. Keeps the mice out.
Old 10-28-09, 04:22 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^dryer sheets... good idea.
my main concern for winter storage is checking air pressure every time i go & warm up the car. flat spots suck....
Old 10-28-09, 04:25 PM
imarshall
Pole Position

Wow, you guys go in! lol I mean, I just clean mine and drive it in the garage. It's on a tarp that's all.
Old 10-28-09, 04:51 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

another thing if you store it in a garage...put a couple moth ***** in the intake box, around the engine bay and the interior. A little trick taught after i had critters move into my engine bay one ****ty winter...ate up a few spark plug wires and destroyed the stock filter, not to mention the array of nuts around my car.
Old 01-30-12, 07:31 AM
WRC460
Driver School Candidate

My '08 LS 460 will sit in the garage for 30 days and I am most concerned about the battery. My BMW also sits but I simply disconnect the battery. What's best for the 460?
Old 01-30-12, 11:01 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

a battery tender is the best way to make sure your battery stays fully charged if you have a garage where you can use one.
otherwise disconnecting is always helpful, but im not sure if your newer LS will have code or alarm issues if you do that.
Old 01-31-12, 06:58 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 118 Posts

agreed. I use a CTEK 7002 battery charger/maintainer. I don't unhook the battery from the car; i just clip it to the battery terminals and wait out winter
Old 04-03-12, 08:09 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old thread but I think its a good one to pop up every once in awhile. Obviously at the end of the storage season but...

No need to use fuel stabilizer if the gas will stay in the tank for less than 3 months. But then again, it doesn't hurt. I also pump the tires to max psi on sidewall. I think it prevents flat spots. It's worked for me with the softer summer rubber on the MB. No need to take off the wheels. If it's an electronically advanced car, I use a trickle charger/battery maintainer (my S550 and I recommend for the LS). I disconnect the battery for my SC300. Before you store it, put in some new motor oil, as others mentioned, this prevents corrosion. Wash, wax, some cedar blocks in the cabin, and wrap the exhaust pipes with a cotton towel and twine. Prevents critters and crap getting into the pipes. Mine are garaged so no cover.

One thing that people do that I highly DON'T recommend is starting the car up for a few minutes every week. Warming up the car for 10-15 minutes only introduces condensation into the vehicle. Remember the temp gauge is for your coolant. The oil takes a lot longer to warm up. It will need a good 20-30 minute actual drive to warm up the oil and evaporate all the condensation. You will do no harm by not starting up your car for several weeks (as long as you put in new motor oil).

I took my S550 for a long drive out to the Hamptons a couple weeks ago when it hit close to 80 here in NYC. Been sitting for close to 12 weeks. Ah, can't wait for summer!