SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

vibration at about 30MPH

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-02, 06:36 AM
messysc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question vibration at about 30MPH

I get a vibration at about 30MPH I think when the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd. It only lasts for about a second and doesn't happen every time it shifts, any ideas on what it could be?
Old 05-01-02, 06:11 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Default Torque Converter Lock Up

Yes, this is very likely to be the torque converter not locking up and slipping or turbulating. Take a close look at the RPMs. This usually happens at 40MPH exactly and shows up when under slow accelleration when going up an incline. I personnally have not has this problem but it was explained to me by my Lexus service manager. The early sc400's apparently had this problem as well as the LS400's. It commonly showed up on inclined highway entrance ramps. It was described to me as a rumble noise or feeling like your rear wheels are on a washboard. I do not know what the fix for this is. I am sure a local Lexus dealer service manager can fill you in on this. Check it out.
Old 05-01-02, 06:14 AM
messysc
Driver

That is exactly what it feels like...I hope I don't have to get a new torque converter.
Old 05-01-02, 06:51 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, very interesting, i happened to get that this morning.
i was going on a slight hill. and i was in 4th gear and i felt my wheel vibrating, i didnt think too much of it but a bit of my mind thought of this board and remember reading this post...
now that i re-read it, it's the same thing i experienced too
Old 05-01-02, 07:44 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing, what I did was changed 2L of burnt fluid out. It went away immediately. The ATF in the SC400 needs to be changed every 15,000 miles. Most people don't do that, so you'll see this problem often.

here's a link to a little semi-how to a posted.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=45980

Keep us posted.

John
Old 05-01-02, 08:00 AM
messysc
Driver

Get this ******!!

I called the parts guy at the dealer for the type IV ATF fluid, 30 bucks, cool. So I told him to connect me with service so I could ask them how much to change the fluid. The guy told me it would be $200!! I said that's nuts! Th Fluid costs 30 and your just changing it? He said 'yep, those cars are expensive'...whatever...I'll pick it up and do it myself.
Old 05-01-02, 08:36 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Torque Converter Lock Up

Originally posted by Red93sc400
It was described to me as a rumble noise or feeling like your rear wheels are on a washboard. I do not know what the fix for this is.
Exactly what happen to my car. Changed 2 liters of trans. fluid and the rumble is gone. It will ge worse if you do not change the trans. fluid.

So far Carson Toyota sold me the 4L can for ~$20 each. If anyone can get it at a cheaper price let us know.
Carson Toyota 800-908-6968 Ask for Steve or Gordon

Last edited by VQT; 05-01-02 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-01-02, 08:19 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Where is Carson Toyota?

Pennsylvania?
Old 05-02-02, 04:44 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Carson Toyota is in Los Angeles near the airport close to 405 I think.
Steve Ganz is a member of this forum, his forum name is "SUPRATRD".
-Steve Ganz
-CarsonToyota/Lexus Parts
-TRD/L-Tuned
-gonzo4u@earthlink.net
-1-800-908-6968

There are a few more place (dealer) that you can buy at a cheaper price. I just do't remember of hand.
Check some of the post on LS400 forum, I remember someone post the name and phone no. of a dealer in TX.

Last edited by VQT; 05-02-02 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-02-02, 10:01 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Thumbs up Thanks, VQT! OK- Carson Toyota is my next stop...!

I looked it up- it's a bit south of LAX, right on the 405 between the Harbor 110 and Long Beach 710 freeways. In the center of the attached pic.

I have not changed my trans fluid in 5 years and 30K miles, so I guess I should get started. I'd hate to contaminate the old fluid with new, though. Will I get more old fluid out if I drop the pan?

Dropping the pan is uncharted territory for me. Will I need any other part besides a new gasket?

And VQT- doesn't it cost a bit to ship a gallon of trans fluid from Carson, California to Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania?
Attached Thumbnails vibration at about 30MPH-carson.gif  
Old 05-02-02, 11:17 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

PERRYinLA,

It was free shipping at those times. They started charging shipping fee ~Nov-01 on
I ordered a bunch of stuff along with the trans. fluid at those times. Since I found out that it cost everyone $30 a can, I ordered a can each times I ordered parts from Carson. So far, I used up 3 cans already. I haven't took the pan out yet. I don't want to create more problem than what I am facing now. I need my SC to run everyday. (my Vette is down for the last 6 months)

Last edited by VQT; 05-02-02 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-02-02, 02:21 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VQT, u used 3 cans already?!?!?!?

just how frequently should u change it? and wat exactly is ATF ? are we talkin about tranmission fluid here? i have a manual trans. what should i use?
Old 05-02-02, 05:50 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Legends6spd
VQT, u used 3 cans already?!?!?!?

just how frequently should u change it? and wat exactly is ATF ? are we talkin about tranmission fluid here? i have a manual trans. what should i use?
I think manual uses regular engine oil. Check the manual for the manual trans. oil change. All SC400 are automatic ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid). If it not broke, don't touch it.

I bought two SC400 last year. Both develop the rumble after I bought the car. The white had the rumble for at least 5 months before I changed the ATF. I should of replace the ATF by dropping the oil pan because I had to drain the ATF within 4K mi. to get the rumble completely gone. That's more than one can already...
Then the green SC develop the same symptom...
I am too lazy to drop the pan to change most of the ATF, so I just drain 2 liters at a times. To fill the ATF after the pan will take 8.1 liters.
Old 05-02-02, 07:13 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Question A pan drop EMPTIES the trans.....?

quote:

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, VQT, but I thought about 1/2 to 1/3 of the trans fluid is "stuck" in the torque converter and won't drain out, even with a pan drop.

I don't think anyone would need or use those $150 "flushing" services if you could drain all of the 8.2 L of trans fluid by dropping the pan.

But I've never done it, and you have- so I just wanna confirm how much of Type IV to buy if I intend to drop the pan. I'll be using ramps, so the car will be tilted, and I don't mind waiting overnight if it will all drain out eventually (guess I should do this with the fluid warm, right?).

Thanks for all the informative posts!
Old 05-03-02, 05:22 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Default Re: A pan drop EMPTIES the trans.....?

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
quote:

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, VQT, but I thought about 1/2 to 1/3 of the trans fluid is "stuck" in the torque converter and won't drain out, even with a pan drop.
Sorry, don't really know if dropping the pan would drain all 8 liters. My 93 SC400 Repair manual read dry fill 8.1 liters, drain 2 liters. I had my car on the ramps when I drain the ATF too and it took a little more than 2 liters (more than half of the can to refill). If you are dropping the pan, buy two cans.
The manual also read the Toyota Type T-II (T-IV now) help smooth out the shift (changing grear). It didn't read that you have to use Toyota Type T-II. It read type T-II or equivalent. I don't know of any after market ATF that comparable.

Last edited by VQT; 05-03-02 at 05:25 AM.

Quick Reply: vibration at about 30MPH