SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I'm the stupidest jackass in the world.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09 | 09:16 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

Once I get it fixed up, I'll probably not drive it in the rain anymore, I have an 05 frontier pass down to me from my dad who got a company car, so I always have a reliable car to drive.

As for tires, I'm also suppriswed no one has said anything about them, I thing if I had new tires bigger than the ****ty 275's I had, I probably wouldn't have lost control, while it was my error to try and correct the rear end, instead of just getting off the gas and letting it stop spinning the rear tires then straighten it up.

And if anyone has a driver's side tail light (92-94) that they want to sell cheap, pm me, I seen a pair for 40 over in the fs section but the one I needed had spider cracks.

Grnmnstr: if your in charleson your probably closer than when your in marrietta, lol
Old 11-03-09 | 09:28 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Nothing wrong with driving in the rain, boosted or not. I drive in the rain with my SC all the time with 255 series tires in the rear, and have had a couple close calls with small tail slip, but its just experience..not to mention 400hp is a bit much for being 18, but dont want to sound like I'm judging..my first car was a Caprice with a stroked/bored 383 @ 16yrs old.

What kind of tires are you running?
Old 11-03-09 | 12:25 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

I've got a 92 tail light you can have for free this weekend if you want to drive down to Alpharetta.
Old 11-03-09 | 01:25 PM
Schultino
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by attzor
Today on the way home from school, the roads are wet, but it's not raining, I got on to the highway I take home and I started giving it some gas, got up to about 3000rpm in 2nd and all the sudden it started spinning and I lost control and hit the barrier on the side of the road. I was going maybe 30-35 mph, no one was hurt, just me involved in the accident. The first thing I did was scramble for my phone and call my dad, I got out and the woman who was behind me had stopped and called 911, it wasn't bad enough to need any of the people that came aside from the police, but it was just incase.

I don't think I'm ready for this car. The damage isn't that bad, it will need 1 new wheel, quarter panel work, 1 tail light and a coil over. I don't think I can handle that 400hp that the car has, the second the boost comes in, It's completely different, I think I either need to sell it once I fix it or buy a set of stock twins and keep it on the down low. You guy's don't know how stupid I feel, I've never been in an accident, never had a speeding ticket, never gotten in trouble, so this is a complete shock. I didn't get a ticket either.

Anyone have any advice? suggestions? If you're wondering my age, I'm 18.

Every time I think about it I just feel so anxious about how it started to spin as soon as it got going, It makes me feel sick knowning that I had so little control of the situation, and thinking about how I could have been killed, or worse, killed some one else. I can't amagine that ever happening.

Sorry if that was poorly writen or badly plotted, I'm still a bit shaken. I'll provide pics tommarow.
Poor guy... i think ur taking it serious & that a gud thing.. but take it from someone who is hard on themselves all the time... YOU'RE BEING TOO HARD ON YOURSELF! DRIVING A REAR WHEEL DRVE CAR IN THE RAIN WITH 400HP-TURBO..... ur gona peel out if you not care reguardless of how old or experinced u r ... especially if its wet out side... only thing u can do is be more care playa
Old 11-03-09 | 07:34 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MCG33
I've got a 92 tail light you can have for free this weekend if you want to drive down to Alpharetta.
Really? Cumming to Alpharetta is like 5 miles lol, I'll come get it, are you sure? because I'll come tommarow lol. just let me know a place and a date and I'll come get them!

turbodreamz, I was running some crappy 275's i got for 250$ for the wheel and tire set (all 4). They had decent tread, but seemed to lose traction so easy even in prefect weather conditions. the rear driver's side wheel is toast, its all ripped and bent up and the tire on it is shreaded.
Old 11-03-09 | 10:49 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

stay out of boost..(turn off ur boost controller in the rain) i went from 120hp corolla.. to a turbo integra 280hp.. to a turbo mr2 400whp... dont worry about it too much more experience you can control those slips. Get out in a place where you can play with ur car on a wet surface. I drove my 400whp car in the rain all the time and spun the wheels but quick thinking and you can save the car easy.

when you get use to it next time it happens you will have a smile on ur face because you just spun the wheels and controlled your slip instead of getting scared. sometimes these things happen but they make u a better driver. drive the car dont let the car drive you.
Old 11-06-09 | 03:29 AM
EDTUN3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by icy_SC
Ya at 18 400hp is ***prolly*** too much!
Age Has Nothing To Do With Handlong Too Much Power!!! Its the seat time that is required to handle such power.There are ppl out there in mid 30 and cant handle that power either. BTW Im 19
Old 11-06-09 | 08:40 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

I am in a 400hp GS, and I gotta say I love it. These cars can be scary. I don't drive like an idiot, and when the weather gets bad, I make sure to play it safe.
Don't let it get ya down. It happens to us all. Just take the time to get used to it. 400whp is a lot of power.
I can also reccommend going to some driver training courses. I have gone to drift events, auto x events, and many others and have leared a lot from them all. I have also completed different drivers training classes they offer around my area. Definatly some fun classes too!
Keep the car and get used to it man
Old 11-06-09 | 09:36 PM
Myblacksc
Pole Position

Take it to the track. Learn the car.
Old 11-08-09 | 04:50 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

UPDATE
So today I finished up fixing the suspension, we finally got the broken tie rod out and replaced it with the good one, now it drives, for a while the dust pan was rubbing bad but it's fixed now, after removing the dust pan. I also installed a OEM 92-96 spoiler that, it's not painted yet, but I'm going to have to have the whole thing painted and professionally cleaned up soon enough. I also got the new bumper on, and a tail light that I got for free from Derek (MCG33) thanks man! and the quarter panel is decently repaired. I could only drive it around in my neighborhood due to my mom taking the insurance off of it.

I've also devised a plan for emissions, my father lives down in florida, so I'm going to register my car at that address, and if I'm correct, there isn't emission's in florida.

I'll get some pics tommarow when it's light outside.
Old 03-08-10 | 02:28 PM
1SICSC4
Driver

Learn how to counter steer!!! This will save you in any rear wheel drive car. They all break loose especially in the rain. Go practice and don't sell your car. You are 18 and you should be old enough to do what you want not what your mommy wants.
Old 03-08-10 | 04:21 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICSC4
Learn how to counter steer!!! This will save you in any rear wheel drive car. They all break loose especially in the rain. Go practice and don't sell your car. You are 18 and you should be old enough to do what you want not what your mommy wants.
Lol man, this thread is 4 monts old, I really didn't do anything with the car, it's been sitting in my garage for these 4 months, I've tried to sell it twice, for about a week at a time, and each time I end up keeping it because I change my mind on what I want. It's going to go back up forsale today, as I just found out that I need a car I can dd asap, unless I can find someone to slide me past emissions, I have to sell it.
Old 03-08-10 | 05:24 PM
mrae101
Rookie

your story reminds me of a guy I knew once had just gotten him self a skyline gts. He was so proud having saved so long to get one. just to lose it to a barrier in the rain
Old 03-08-10 | 05:47 PM
1SICSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by attzor
Lol man, this thread is 4 monts old, I really didn't do anything with the car, it's been sitting in my garage for these 4 months, I've tried to sell it twice, for about a week at a time, and each time I end up keeping it because I change my mind on what I want. It's going to go back up forsale today, as I just found out that I need a car I can dd asap, unless I can find someone to slide me past emissions, I have to sell it.
What do you want for the car? I might be interested.
Old 03-08-10 | 06:13 PM
jimmysc3
Driver School Candidate

I had something similar happened to me today. Roads are wet but not raining as I went onto a hair pin freeway ramp and decided to give it gas. Car started getting sideways as if I was to drift but I managed to keep it under control by counter steering. It was scary but fun for me lol.

Quick Reply: I'm the stupidest jackass in the world.