SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I'm the stupidest jackass in the world.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 02:43 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm the stupidest jackass in the world.

Today on the way home from school, the roads are wet, but it's not raining, I got on to the highway I take home and I started giving it some gas, got up to about 3000rpm in 2nd and all the sudden it started spinning and I lost control and hit the barrier on the side of the road. I was going maybe 30-35 mph, no one was hurt, just me involved in the accident. The first thing I did was scramble for my phone and call my dad, I got out and the woman who was behind me had stopped and called 911, it wasn't bad enough to need any of the people that came aside from the police, but it was just incase.

I don't think I'm ready for this car. The damage isn't that bad, it will need 1 new wheel, quarter panel work, 1 tail light and a coil over. I don't think I can handle that 400hp that the car has, the second the boost comes in, It's completely different, I think I either need to sell it once I fix it or buy a set of stock twins and keep it on the down low. You guy's don't know how stupid I feel, I've never been in an accident, never had a speeding ticket, never gotten in trouble, so this is a complete shock. I didn't get a ticket either.

Anyone have any advice? suggestions? If you're wondering my age, I'm 18.

Every time I think about it I just feel so anxious about how it started to spin as soon as it got going, It makes me feel sick knowning that I had so little control of the situation, and thinking about how I could have been killed, or worse, killed some one else. I can't amagine that ever happening.

Sorry if that was poorly writen or badly plotted, I'm still a bit shaken. I'll provide pics tommarow.
Old 10-30-09, 02:47 PM
icy_SC
Driver School Candidate

Ya at 18 400hp is ***prolly*** too much!
Old 10-30-09, 02:58 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey we've all done stupid stuff, don't beat yourself up about it too much.

As for the 1gen SC's they are notorious in the rain/wet conditions and almost always tend to spin out, esp if you were at 3k rpm, but its cool fix it up and just be careful next time!
Old 10-30-09, 03:15 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

how bad is the qp damage? i had a mishap and did some serious qp damage and have to live with it now, makes me feel like %#$@ every day. Changed my driving so much since that day, you gotta be careful, dont mess around, save it for the track.
Old 10-30-09, 03:16 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

You know, over the last 5 years on Club Lexus i've read so many stories about accidents and people losing control, even with stock SC's..especially in weather conditions. Boost at 18 years old in a car you're probably not completely comfortable driving in can be pretty scary.

I bought my car in November of 2004 with 157,000 miles and it currently has 169,000 on the odometer. I've been hit 3 times while parked and rear ended once in the short time that I have driven my car. I think i'm cursed. Usually I am very paranoid about driving it, considering something seems to happen every time it comes out of the garage.

My advice. Get your ride fixed and drive it like an 80 year old until you get some more experience, (couple thousand miles) and some runs at your local track to get a feel for the power. Avoid bad weather, and wear a seatbelt. Also, a rule I always try to follow (and I hope it would be common sense): don't drift, or street race.. Unless you like breaking stuff, like your car and wallet.

Last edited by codetoad; 10-30-09 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-30-09, 03:17 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont beat urself up dude, we all make mistakes...i try not to even drive my sc in the rain or when its wet unless i dont plan on having any fun with the car...even when the sc is N/A it will spin out..so i kno 400whp had u scared...but shake it off man, lesson learned..just be more careful and turn the boost down or better yet keep the car in vacuum..dont hit not 1 psi!! lol
-As for selling the car i say..negative, keep it bro..dont give up on the sc.
-stock twins will do the same exact thing..they even spool faster than ur single set up so if it happend wit the single it could happen wit the twins only thing to do is jus baby the car and take it easy..because of the weight and how long the sc is it is very easy to slide..so "again jus take it easy bro"
Old 10-30-09, 03:19 PM
omidg89
Pole Position

It's not easy to control a rwd with that much power, people usually dont think about it unless they have experienced it when the back end goes out, don't feel bad because this could happen to anyone even people who have a lot of experience driving these cars, but you can practice making the back end go out on purpose in low speed and empty road and try to fix it, that way you have more knowledge of what to do next time.
do have a lsd?
what tires you are using?
Old 10-30-09, 03:21 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vortes
how bad is the qp damage? i had a mishap and did some serious qp damage and have to live with it now, makes me feel like %#$@ every day. Changed my driving so much since that day, you gotta be careful, dont mess around, save it for the track.
I'm not sure how bad it is, I didn't think it was that bad but the shop just called and said it would cost ~4,000$. That's ****ing rediculous, the only thing worth something on that car is the engine and trans, and thats fine so I guess my best bet would be to buy a roller and swap the engine and trans. But 4000$ for some suspention, quarter panel work, a tail light and some other minor things I'm forgetting? seriously? I don't think I'm going to contact my insurance company, I can find all the part's I need for less that 500$.

omidg89: I don't have an LSD and my rear tires were 275's with about 45-50% left thread wise
Old 10-30-09, 03:23 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yup... SC's are extra squirrely in the rain....
sorry to hear... i agree with above, fix it and take it easy next time(you learn from mistakes).
btw.. wish i had 400HP at 18!!!
Old 10-30-09, 03:40 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

You live and you learn! Don't feel bad, it's all experience.
Old 10-30-09, 03:40 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Looks like I may have to sell it when it is all fixed up, my mom said this when I told her that I was going to fix it and keep it, "I'm going to have to drive around with one of those 'in memory' stickers on the back of my car yet". So I guess I'm going to have to, I think I'm going to try and sell it and wait for a N/A mk4 supra to pop up. Right now I have another car to drive so I'm not in a huge hurry.
Old 10-30-09, 03:43 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by attzor
I don't think I'm ready for this car. The damage isn't that bad, it will need 1 new wheel, quarter panel work, 1 tail light and a coil over. I don't think I can handle that 400hp that the car has

Anyone have any advice? suggestions?
Learn to drive better.

Not being rude about it, just being literal. My boosted cars did fine and they had WELDED diffs on them.
Fun in the rain.

You may also want to take the time to get more familiar w/ your car. I knew the second boost came in and what it did when it was slippery.

Last edited by HeisLegend; 10-30-09 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-30-09, 03:44 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

sorry to hear about that man but just shake it off and stick around 2k, as for the car dont get rid of it, start calling some junk yards and dig for parts, look for parts you can replace that youve been wanting to, and then find the others.
Old 10-30-09, 03:47 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isht happends bro.... Your never going to be "ready" for 400hp unless you take the time to get used to it...
Old 10-30-09, 03:48 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mv350
sorry to hear about that man but just shake it off and stick around 2k, as for the car dont get rid of it, start calling some junk yards and dig for parts, look for parts you can replace that youve been wanting to, and then find the others.
the yards around here keep an online invintory of their cars, I go basicly every weekend, I know one has a semi stripped 92 sc400 and a 95 stripped sc300, and the other's are dry.

Quick Reply: I'm the stupidest jackass in the world.