SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Omg!!! I almost got got!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 11:27 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Omg!!! I almost got got!!!

Alright guy's i almost got got, as u all kno i have been trying to sell my old exhaust setup, and i wasnt gettin any love on the forums so i posted the exhaust on ebay thinking that somebody out there would be in need for a decent exhaust, id rather not throw it away because i wanna help someone out...anyway it seemed to catch a few peoples eyes and a guy emailed me for the exhaust, several emails after we mayed a deal for him to send me $200 and i will ship the exhaust to his location...

For some strange reason he sends me two money orders of $745.01, i was so confused because all i asked from him was $200, the Money Orders were from Money Gram, after i received the money orders i email the guy asap, and asked him y he sent so much money, he replied that he wanted me to deduct the amount for the exhaust and then Western Union the rest of the money back to his shipping company so that they can come pick the item up...so i take the money order to my bank and deposit it and i have them put a hold on it to see if everything is legit...after 7 business days later the money cleared...the guy has been calling me nonstop telling me to send the money asap and if i dont he will come to my location..

Finally, i got up this morning and something just didnt feel right so i asked my father about it and we both got online and typed in "Money Gram" on google, next thing you kno a bunch of websites and forums come up with people who got caught up in the same mess..i started reading the storys of these fellow victims to compare it to mine..

Basically its a international money order and these people from the UK or Nigeria or any foreigner will try to SCAM YOU they send more money then what u need and tell u to take what is yours and western union the money back to them....I took it even further and called Money Gram, gave them the receipt #'s and Both money orders were Fraudulant!!!!

Im just happy i looked into it more because i would of been of $1500, my credit would of got f*&k**, my account would of been closed, and last but not least i would have put me and my family's life in danger because this guy has my number and address.
*MIGHT I ADD TODAY IS MY BDAY....SO I THANK GOD AND MY PARENTS FOR HELPING ME OUT OF THIS ONE
Old 11-11-09, 11:40 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. I don't understand how that money could clear into your bank account and still be fraudulent. Isn't it the banks responsibility to make sure everything is okay before giving you the funds.

As soon as that guy sent me $1500 for an item that's $200, a couple big red flags would come up in my mind.

So what did you end up doing? Did you notify ebay and your bank yet
Old 11-11-09, 11:50 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ESScee400
Yeah, this is the pretty popular scam right now. They send you fake money orders, then you send money back to them. It's basically free money for them, while screwing you in the meantime. It's also part of the reason why it's in eBay's policy that you're not allowed to work deals for the item outside of the item's auction. Good thing you caught it, but it's kind of your fault too...
Yes, you are right it was my fault that i let it get that far.

Originally Posted by sc-driver
wow. I don't understand how that money could clear into your bank account and still be fraudulent. Isn't it the banks responsibility to make sure everything is okay before giving you the funds.

As soon as that guy sent me $1500 for an item that's $200, a couple big red flags would come up in my mind.

So what did you end up doing? Did you notify ebay and your bank yet
You are exactly right, after he sent me $1490.02 i contacted him asap...that wasnt part of our deal..we agreed on sending $200 but i got $1490.02
-never notified ebay but i will
-and i called the 1 800 # for my bank and they will have the fraudulant department call me back to take car of the issue..
Old 11-11-09, 12:04 PM
PEARL2
Pole Position

It's a good thing you have common sense. My idiot cousin got cought by someone last year with same trick, mo deposit into her acct. subsequently, the bank deducted the amount twice. I had a guy try to pull the same game with me with a property I was renting. His email said he is from the UK and his company will be paying his rent and relocation cost...
Old 11-11-09, 12:09 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thats scary! i dnt even wanna try to sell anything on ebay now
Old 11-11-09, 12:17 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

happpy birthday!! mine is tomorrow = ]
Old 11-11-09, 12:24 PM
SC510
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

man i could have been in the same situation. trying to sell my rims on craigslist and this dude responds saying he'll send me a check for the rims. reading the email it sounded phony, so i spammed his a$$. it's good thing u caught it when u did, or u would have been screwed.
Old 11-11-09, 12:24 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BostonSC4
happpy birthday!! mine is tomorrow = ]
Thanks, man!! the big 2...0 today...i finally made it to 20 years of age..lol
Old 11-11-09, 12:32 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

It sounds to me like he made the deal through email, outside of the auction, which is against eBay's policy anyways. With that said, it will be a waste of time letting eBay know about it. They aren't going to anything for you or to him because that guy didn't break their rules, you did. It sucks, but it's true lol. I had a hack into my eBay account about 2 years ago when I was Power Seller on eBay. Someone got into my account and changed my PayPal email address to his, meaning every one of my customers who payed through PayPal was sending their money to him, not me. It took me about a week to realize it, I lost LOTS of money because I either had to ship the items anyways or give all of those customers a refund on money I never received. I contacted eBay, they did nothing about it besides tell me to "watch out for scammers." I had over 2000 transactions, and they did nothing to help me. They have horrible customer service. Therefore, I now use Craigslist .
Craigslist is even worse..didnt you hear about the people who have been murdered or the prostitutes that have been selling thereself on craigslist...wow its a shame that the world is coming to this!!

and yes it was through email because i needed my item gone asap and he was willing to pay..but next time i will only deal with people who bid...my mistake
Old 11-11-09, 12:35 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Haha I turned 21 last week. I think I'm still drunk...
Happy belated Bday bro!!! and LOLz on still being drunk..
Old 11-11-09, 12:50 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

but.... he still has your address? hmmm....
good thing you got smart...the day you were no longer a teenager! lol.
Old 11-11-09, 01:10 PM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

wow!!!! good thing you found out in time
Old 11-11-09, 01:40 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Depends on what you're using Craigs for. The people getting murdered are the idiots who try to find dates on there lol. I don't accept money orders at all whatsoever, I didn't even accept them when I was selling on eBay. And now, on Craigslist, I only accept cash unless they are far away and ask for electronic payment.
Yea, i will never deal with money order every again, cash only, or paypal..these people now a days are becoming ruthless and dont give a ****** about nobody but themselves!!

Originally Posted by 96SC4
but.... he still has your address? hmmm....
good thing you got smart...the day you were no longer a teenager! lol.
I will remember this for the rest of my life, and yes he still has my address..thats ok tho, if he eva shows up here i got sumthing for his a$$....
Old 11-11-09, 02:31 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 384 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 94_soarer
if he eva shows up here i got sumthing for his a$$....
uhh Nate...since when did you turn gay? LOLOL jk broski happy birthday!
Old 11-11-09, 02:36 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
uhh Nate...since when did you turn gay? LOLOL jk broski happy birthday!
LOL...well i had put something specific up there but i went back and edited it cuz im not to sure of the rules on the forum and i didnt wanna break any..lol but im sure yall all kno what im talkin about..

Quick Reply: Omg!!! I almost got got!!!