SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

new guy on the block

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 07:51 PM
BazookaCat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations! you've graduated out of the minor league and have now stepped into the Majors...Think you can handle a fairly high performance RWD car? (My intuition says "No" since you live in the East Coast where the weather makes driving RWD a major challenge) This will be a very far cry from that of any FWD Honda you have driven. And by George's sake, paint that lip and get it mounted on properly and securely, It looks like poo poo.
Old 11-16-09, 07:54 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by BazookaCat
Congratulations! you've graduated out of the minor league and have now stepped into the Majors...Think you can handle a fairly high performance RWD car? (My intuition says "No" since you live in the East Coast where the weather makes driving RWD a major challenge) This will be a very far cry from that of any FWD Honda you have driven. And by George's sake, paint that lip and get it mounted on properly and securely, It looks like poo poo.
Hey calm down there, cat man.

What makes you think he can't handle it?
Old 11-16-09, 07:56 PM
BazookaCat
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC

In the East Coast, FWD/AWD is king...Bad east coast weather and RWD don't mix very well...Capiche?
Old 11-16-09, 07:57 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

hahah, i completely agree with you. the first snow should be interesting.

as for the lip, i know! i bought the car pretty much how it sits. ill be removing the lip probably this weekend for winter so im not as low. then ill be either paint matching or going black. havnt decided. then ill properlly mount it, previous owner didnt use the mounting brackets correctly
Old 11-17-09, 02:08 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC

Seriously... SC's are slugs. Our cars aren't the best in the snow, but I manage every year here in the hills of WA where we get 11" or so every year, sometimes more. Not as much as the East coast, but enough to make a lot of drivers spin into a ditch.
Old 11-17-09, 04:26 AM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats and welcome to CL.
Old 11-17-09, 04:35 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Congrats on the find. Where in MD are you? I had a 1j in my SC couple years ago, if you have any questions let me know.
Old 11-17-09, 06:15 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

remove pinstripe ASAP
Old 11-17-09, 06:32 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to CL, the best car forum in the world. Congrats on your purchase !!
Old 11-17-09, 08:22 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

i reside on the beatiful (to some.. mainly tourists.. if they exist and not just going to OC) island of kent. lol east of annapolis - other side of the puddle.

check out mdspeedlounge.com its my local car meets forum but its for all of MD.. were the people who got banned from mdstreetscene.com lol.

the pin strip will come off this weekend when i do the lip. i wanted to remove the "LEXUS" badge but i found out they leave holes! soo no de-badging for me till i have some bondo and paint for the front lip.
Old 11-17-09, 02:30 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome.

There are quite a few R154 swap threads out there (including mine). Good luck!
Old 11-17-09, 09:12 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

thanks man!

i CAN NOT wait to do a r154 swap. i cant stand the shift/downshifting in the automatic 1jzgte's.. its horrid. add a slipping torque converter and i have one hell of a night..

thankfully my buddy has a spare 1jzgte auto tranny just chilling in his house (hes goin r154). lucky for him, he has the whole manual swap pretty much on his floor. unlike me, who has to start piecing it together. oh well.. all in due time.
Old 11-18-09, 05:10 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Where in Maryland are you?

You need to introduce yourself to (BALConnell) Bart Connelly and (QuickGS300) Omar. They're both SC gurus and when you need parts or have questions they're great guys to check in with.

My name's Mike, and I'll be in Frederick, Maryland until Sunday, then it's back out to Cali to start work in the Santa Cruz mountains.
Old 11-18-09, 06:33 AM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BazookaCat
Congratulations! you've graduated out of the minor league and have now stepped into the Majors...Think you can handle a fairly high performance RWD car? (My intuition says "No" since you live in the East Coast where the weather makes driving RWD a major challenge)
Uhh what. I'm originally from MD. Born and raised 15 minutes outside of DC. I've driven through 2 very tough winters in my SC300 5spd. Never had an issue. 300HP and no traction control mind you. I also did it for a number of years in my 450 hp 300ZXTT and my Camaro SS which I was driving @ 16. So don't automatically assume that he can not drive. Do you have any experience driving in the snow?

But back on topic. Nice to see another turbo SC in the DMV. Funny thing is a member on here a few years ago who I was friends with had a very clean black SC300 5spd who was from Kent Island also. Anyways enjoy the car and have fun with it.
Old 11-19-09, 10:16 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

thanks man! got a few more pics:

^ew, brown radiator. ordering a all aluminum radiator SOON.

Quick Reply: new guy on the block