SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

giving up sc, buying supra

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 09:50 PM
KANG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
for what you want, I'd either turbo your SC4 or buy a MANUAL SC3 with that 10k and turbo that. Supras are overrated. Sure they look nice, but what about insurance? Willing to pay 3x as much for full coverage?
Prices for supras are over-inflated. You said you were willing to use credit cards to fund the purchase? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Unless you have EXCELLENT credit and can get a car loan from a bank for less than 7%, it sounds like you're better off having your DAD buy it for you.
if my sc is manual, i will keep it, even if its manual, i still like supra better. i was checking out supra forums, some said the insurance is less than a new corolla? i was thinking about getting 6k on balance transfer with one of my credit cards, just like wat i did to get my sc, i borrowed 7k from card, 3%fee=$210, and 0% apr for a year. and yea, i have good credit.
Old 11-21-09, 10:43 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go for it man , if i ever sell my SC i will be going that route.
I always wanted one and i will get one lol.
If you are looking for 550 to 600rwhp i will go Na-T + AEM.
If you go with the TT you will still have to go single to to meet that power goal, it's like going from Na to Na-T.
It's all about how far you wanna go with it.
Again go for it,and Good look.
Old 11-22-09, 07:22 PM
KANG

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Go for it man , if i ever sell my SC i will be going that route.
I always wanted one and i will get one lol.
If you are looking for 550 to 600rwhp i will go Na-T + AEM.
If you go with the TT you will still have to go single to to meet that power goal, it's like going from Na to Na-T.
It's all about how far you wanna go with it.
Again go for it,and Good look.
well, if i do get a na, i wont spend too much money on performance stuff, i think 400 hp at the wheels is plenty for me, plus body kits, i am looking to spend 10k on the car total.
Old 11-23-09, 06:19 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Lol 400HP is not gonna be enought for you man haha, we all said that !!!
Seriously when you start you will always want more and more.
I bought a GE engine built it from top to botton, and decided oh i don't need 700rwhp so I went ahead and bought 1jzgte full swap and thinking oh i am only looking for 300rwhp and am done no it didn't happen like that.
Everyything is hang out with the Sc guys it's makes me spend more money on performance.
Just this month i spent about $2200.00 on going single Turbo and only looking for 500rwhp haha once i reach that point i will want more and more.
For 400hp just do the GTE and be done with GL man .
Old 11-23-09, 08:06 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KANG
well, if i do get a na, i wont spend too much money on performance stuff, i think 400 hp at the wheels is plenty for me, plus body kits, i am looking to spend 10k on the car total.
You're just saying that haha.. trust me when you get the car that $10K will go quick!!
Old 11-23-09, 02:33 PM
KANG

i found a 95 black on black supra non turbo, 120k miles , good condition for 16500. i haven't make offer yet, wat u guys think?
Old 11-24-09, 08:55 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Non Turbo around 100k to 120k i think 10k will be fair!!
Old 11-24-09, 02:31 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by baoser
no tt 6 spd no care, kthxbye
+1...............
Old 11-24-09, 02:42 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Kong....stick with the L!!

I have a '97 SC3 NA-T that I am thinkin bout sellin.
Old 11-24-09, 02:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by attzor
There isn't anything wrong with a stock or bpu supra, don't give him a false impression that he shouldnt own the car unless he mods the **** out of it. Trust me, start at the bpu or stock and work your way up, that way you don't do anything stupid, like spin into a guard rail.
I'll give him any impression I wish. Maybe he isn't "stupid" and can't speak from your perspective (see bold). Who knows, but I'm still right either way, a 400 hp supra is a turd.

Our '99 Sc4's bone stock are 300hp, a supra with a mere 100hp more than a 99 sc400 ain't gonna impress anyone but grandma.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 11-24-09 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-24-09, 10:06 PM
KANG

if i get a supra, its going to b my daily driver. i am not looking for serious power out of the thing. gas mileage is goin to Suck!. my 97 sc4 is doin 17 mpg in city and iam tired of filling it up. i might just get a supra and dont do anthing other than the exterior mods. i dont know man, i need a dd in 2 months.
Old 11-26-09, 11:10 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 118 Posts

get a cheap used car and use that for a DD. THEN get the Supra.

I don't know where in indiana you live, but snow, blizzards and ice storms are just HELL (you SoCal and southerners reading this SHOULD experience this once in your life!).

This also goes for the gas mileage... Gas prices WILL continue to rise (premium here in the NW burbs of Chicago is already 2.85 in Dupage, 3.05 in Cook (even higher in city limits). Indiana is famous for having cheaper gas, but even in a supra, you'd be hard pressed to get anything higher than 22 mpg in DD duty in a fully tuned up stock engine
Old 11-26-09, 03:48 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the supra, trust me, you won't be nearly as happy with a fast sc than you would be with a slower supra, and the value of the supra will depreciate far slower if at all.
Old 11-26-09, 03:57 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KANG
i got my 97 sc4 7 months now, have 82k miles on it. about to give it to my sis, then my father will pay me 10k. i still love the sc, it still going to b in the family, i can get it back if i decide to, anyway, i am sorry, supra look sportier than sc, iam looking for 93-98 supra, manual, i want a fast car , around 400hp, just want some suggestions on wat to look for, should i get the non turbo one, then swap in a twin turbo, and upgrade it, or buy a stock twin turbo supra then upgrade from there? if i get the non turbo one, should i get the 2jzge(93-96) or MFI(97-98), thanks , i will post this on supra forums. i also thought of getting g35 coupe for long time, but they r just too common, wat u guys think? i really like the fact the supras r very rare!, it just feels cool own one..
either buy a turbo supra or stick with the sc
Old 12-06-09, 09:23 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing with buying a non turbo Supra is that they still aren't cheap. $10k is a lot of money period.

If you take a non turbo and go na-t or GTE there's things that will need upgraded.

I won't talk to the automatics...and I wont estimate labor

1.) If its a 5spd W58...it probably wont last unless you drive like grandma so it will need upgraded. $2k for a R154 with clutch...and if its a 95+ you will need a Soarer R154 or shifter extension which cost $350 everywhere...

Want V160 6spd? Add roughly $4-6k for trans,new clutch,driveshaft

2.) The rear end in the non turbo might have an LSD, but the gearing is going to suck on the highway after you turbo it..been there done that..you'll need the TT auto Supra 3.76 or 3.92 gears $500-1k for entire pumpkin or you could find the gearset you want and swap that in which would be cheaper.

3.) OVCP intake manifold and sparkplugs is just a *****...its one of the main reasons I went GTE..I can do GTE plugs in 10mins taking my time

4.) Brakes...the non turbo brakes aren't adequate..you'll need an upgrade $1k

5.) NA-T demands fuel ecu or piggybacks $300-2k for AEM

6.) NA-T demands tuning if you want it reliable $300-1000...a stock GTE ecu is reliable out of the box, but I do carry a spare cause they're cheap

So you spend $10k on a non turbo then another $10k going na-t or GTE and upgrades...not including labor. Well you coulda bought a 6pd TT and the value of the car is still right there with you...almost.

7.) One important thing about an NA-T. You insurance company isn't going to pay out for all your mods or turbo kit on your non turbo supra..you'll fight for trade in value. If you have a turbo model to begin with you'll get more money and at 400hp you wont have to invest much to get there, so if you wreck it you wont be out lots of cash for the mods.

Some guy lost $90-100k on supraforums last year when the tuner wrecked his mkiv and he had over $100k invested and got the value of the car and lost his a$$ and his insurance probably skyrockted next cycle for the next 3-5yrs...and they were talking like the tuner should've had insurance to cover it but even if he did the insurance company woulda said F-you...you get book value or even worse..AUCTION black book value and then your ****ed.

SC300s aren't worth much cash value to banks like Supras tend to be. If you put $10k into an Sc300, then you wreck it..your screwed and will probably take a major hit to buy the car back and part it out or swap the parts over.

I also don't think taking a loan on to get a Supra is entirely a bad idea if you have another car to daily so the miles dont rack up too bad.. You just need to put down as much cash money as you can. You also don't want to buy a 150k mileage Supra for $15-25k and then have to do the control arms, turbos, clutch or ANYTHING else. That would SUCK...so you need to either find low mileage or one that has verifiable service records.

Good luck if you even read this post anyways...its long but it stuff to take into consideration

Last edited by RyanV; 12-06-09 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: giving up sc, buying supra