SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Original vs Knockoff...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-09, 03:55 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Original vs Knockoff...

I'm mainly talking about our cars cause I'm relating it to value. This has probably been argued since the dawn of time, but I haven't really seen a thread about it. Usually it only gets argued when a knock off (i.e. AIT body kit, Shine Auto, or Linea Corse) comes out. Personally, I'm 50/50. I don't own any knock offs or plan to in the future. However, I can see why someone wouldn't want to throw down $2,500 on a body kit or $4k for rims on a car worth, on average, 5-8k when first purchased. Does having an original supplant or surpass getting value?...Whats everyone's thoughts?
Old 11-19-09, 04:04 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many factors to consider in this. Some people don't care about branding and just want to look cool, some consider the superiority in quality of certain brands in reference to their knock off (crappy fitting knock off kits), some people want to support the culture so they do not buy knock offs, and some people just want bragging rights of owning the real thing.

When people go out looking to buy parts they are seeking different types of benefits and have different values. So by asking this question you are going to get a lot of different answers.

Value can be evaluated differently by different people. Some might view value as they got a bangin deal on a decently fitting kit. Some view value as they bought a quality product with good branding, that many people respect.

Personally i bought this 5-8k car so that i could throw money into modifications. I probably could've bought a Z or something else in that price range. But I wouldn't have money for anything else.........and that's no fun. However as i learned with my accident, throwing a buttload of money into such an old car that only depreciates in value isn't such a good idea.

I'm rambling a lot because i'm at school and i don't have any friends here. So now, Clublexus is my friend

Last edited by vinh; 11-19-09 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-19-09, 04:05 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

For me, if i had a a $2500 and a new paint job, and my car gets hit, id go nuts. I wouldnt get crap back.
Old 11-19-09, 04:14 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vinh
However as i learned with my accident, throwing a buttload of money into such an old car that only depreciates in value isn't such a good idea.
great point...i guess one can argue that buying brand products can make a car's value greater....i guess monetary value is one to consider...
Old 11-19-09, 04:22 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rpx13
great point...i guess one can argue that buying brand products can make a car's value greater....i guess monetary value is one to consider...
well not exactly. Just with everything you purchase keep all of the invoices. Those are going to be crucial in trying to get some money back if you get into an accident. Whether or not it is a knock off or a genuine product isn't going to matter to the insurance company. All that matters is if you have the invoice.
Old 11-19-09, 04:32 PM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

thats why i just want to go 97+ oem!
Old 11-19-09, 04:37 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kingluis6
thats why i just want to go 97+ oem!
what if they sold the oem for $400 cheaper?....Would u buy it?
Old 11-19-09, 04:38 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Wouldnt insurance only cover a certain amount?
Old 11-19-09, 04:43 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Modifying a car is a bad investment in any way. If you modify your car for a benefit of some sort (other than personal gratitude) such as for fabrication, engineering, etc., and the costs can be justified, then it is generally worth it.
Old 11-19-09, 04:46 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
Modifying a car is a bad investment in any way. If you modify your car for a benefit of some sort (other than personal gratitude) such as for fabrication, engineering, etc., and the costs can be justified, then it is generally worth it.
do you have any pictures of your car? Particularly the one with the cops.
Old 11-19-09, 05:15 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Sometimes the fitment is the same but better material is used in producing the replica body kit. For example, I have Shine parts on my 350z, if I were to hit anything that was the real deal kit it would have fallen apart being that the original part was made from fiberglass.
Old 11-19-09, 05:24 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm rambling a lot because i'm at school and i don't have any friends here. So now, Clublexus is my friend
lol so emo

do you have any pictures of your car? Particularly the one with the cops.
he has a couple old threads with pics.. back when he was plat silver too. sick car

Honestly when it comes to knockoff, I wouldn't mind rocking a Shine kit over AC if I can put that extra couple hundred towards something else. Keep in mind I am talking as a college student with a small budget that shouldn't be spent on something as frivolous as car mods to begin with. With a body kit, I KNOW it's going to get broken, etc, and I want something more aggressive than the OEM kit. Most of the stuff I get that's genuine, I get at a steal or sometimes I feel the need to splurge. I was actually considering picking up a set of BBS LM reps because honestly, they look good, and after getting a bend on one of my SSR SP1s, I realized just how easy it could've been worse, and it just sucks if I spent a buttload of money on it.

I've been in 4 accidents (not my fault), and I realize how easily an authentic kit could've been broken to pieces, or how authentic wheels could be bashed against the curb. It's definitely not worth it. I mod my car for personal satisfaction only, and if I can get to that level while spending less, yay me. I bought my car with $12k+ in authentic, top name mods, and I love it, but I probably never would've been able to put all that in myself. All I'm left with is playing with the exterior look and sprucing up the interior and hopefully by the end of this year I will have a bomb product. I will be rocking some replica items such as skirts and rear because I know they will get damaged from the steep driveways I encounter constantly.

ps. OP, did I meet you at Irvine Guppys over the summer? I had a black 1SC with another black 1SC and 2 2GS

Last edited by Hil; 11-19-09 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-19-09, 05:40 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

If you have mods in excess of the car's value it's time to talk to your insurance company and negotiate an "Agreed Value" policy. An independent appraiser will access the car's value and you will pay a policy premium based on the "Agreed Value" of your vehicle.

This is different than a "stated value" policy.

Real or Knockoff depends on what level you are taking the SC too. There is a 'break-out' point with these cars that you seriously need to consider before modifying them. You need to know the ultimate goal in advance. You break past the limit of seeing a return or semi-return on investment and go for a monster machine.

The SC is a great platform to invest 30-50K dollars into. It has the potential to be a monster machine on most fronts, but most will choose to modify to a level and keep it under 10 grand and go with some knockoff parts and get the look they desire and keep costs reasonable.
Old 11-19-09, 05:53 PM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I prefer a mixture of both. For me it's Value, and basic critical thinking.

It all comes down to what you prefer. Who gives a ish about what others think. Its about what your going for and what satisfies you.

I wanted real bbs lm's, but didnt think spending the same amount of money I spent on my car would be smart for a car I drove only 7 days out of a month. So I got reps (lineas), Im happy. I even tell people they are fake when they think its real. If I cared about just flossing, I would of got a real set and showed them off.

I got curbage within the first month on my reps. It hurt, but didn't hurt as much as having the curbage on $5,000 dollar wheels. I realize I only spent $1,200 on rims. I want to get a set of ssr ms1's. I can now sell the reps and get the ms1's and still not reach the price of the real bbs. no stress

I also wanted exhaust but wanted a good deal. I got the top speed ebay system for around $300. Im happy with them. I read that hp gains were minimum anyways with changing the exhaust on the sc. So I used that in my decision. Anything was better than stock.

My suspension is also ebay. I have a brand called corner 8. I just needed the car to be low. Im not tracking, or do I give a dam about ride comfort. My only go was to get the thing low. This set cost me around $600 new. They actually ride nice. Are they better quality then name brands? Maybe not, but I only care about going low, and im not tracking my car so it doesnt matter to me.

Right now Im in between getting a 97+ oem kit with oem lip or getting a replica kit of some sort. Im still weighing everything out. As of now the 97 oem is in the lead.

So most of my car is budget. BUT when it comes down to other mods, I can tell you that I wont be going budget. A 2jz-gte swap, turbo upgrade, body work and paint. Im willing to spend the $$$$$$$ Those to me are worth the money.

Last edited by soulific; 11-19-09 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-19-09, 07:37 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 24boosted
Sometimes the fitment is the same but better material is used in producing the replica body kit. For example, I have Shine parts on my 350z, if I were to hit anything that was the real deal kit it would have fallen apart being that the original part was made from fiberglass.
i'd have to disagree here. i can say with certainty that vertex parts are definitely better made material and process wise than the knockoffs. for one, i was in an accident a year ago, with the vertex bumper and fender, the damage to my car was less than the brand new spankin civic si. his hood got bent, bumper torn, lights cracked, radiator support squished. my damage was just a new vertex bumper and fender. also not to mention, i've been to thunderhill a couple times and i always find myself rubbing the left fender against the tire consistently on the right hand sweeper after the corkscrew turn. on inspection there's no visible or felt damage on the inside or outside of that fiberglass fender.

in the end, you can't classify strength of authentic vs knockoff. each company will have their own type of material and how they make that material, just because it's fiberglass doesn't mean it's weaker, one company's fiberglass doesn't equal another company's fiberglass.

Quick Reply: Original vs Knockoff...