SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

manual or auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-09, 09:13 PM
KANG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default manual or auto

being someone who never driven a stick shift, i really want to buy a manual supra for dd. but there r not much choices cause most of them r auto. so wats good n bad between auto and manual. besides manual shift r fun and cooler to drive, wat other good things about it, i heard its faster? will i still b able to eat n drive with stick shift?
Old 11-26-09, 09:23 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

stick shift is more fun to drive but they are terrible in traffic. they are definetly faster also you can start them on a dead battery. they are definetly rarer. and no, you cannot eat and drive with a manual. you can always get something like suprashift for the automatic and keep the auto shift for daily driving then when you want to have fun you can switch to ect power for manual shifting. if this is a daily driver i recommend an auto but if its just for fun (weekend car) go with a manual. hope this helps.
Old 11-26-09, 10:01 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=1SickSC;5032606]Why the hell would you eat and drive? I can't believe you even asked that. Are you 15?[/QUOTE

i know what you mean my dad ruined his Z71 Tahoe in half a year going to McDonalds each day
Old 11-26-09, 10:05 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

If you want to eat while driving, you should try a little thing called public transportation.
Old 11-26-09, 10:16 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
Why the hell would you eat and drive? I can't believe you even asked that. Are you 15?
??????????? whats wrong with that? I bet you talk on the phone and drive, isn't it all the same?
Old 11-26-09, 10:18 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
Have you or anyone you cared about been in an accident because of someone else's stupidity? Apparently not. Why start a thread asking whether to drive a manual or auto when his concern is "i heard it's faster", it's "cooler to drive" and "will i still b able to eat n drive with stick shift?"? An irresponsible driver should not even be driving.

To answer his question. You should get neither.
i know what you mean i got in a wreck in my brand new suv once and was so pissed at the other driver because they weren't paying attention, and by no means do i encourage street racing go to a race track or a drag strip but every day i have to go to a freeway entrance and i like the security of a fast start so i don't get hit. so going back to speed being a bad thing, that is not necisarilly true.
Old 11-26-09, 10:25 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

manual is more fun to drive imo...not hard to learn at all.
Old 11-26-09, 10:26 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by maynanator
i know what you mean my dad ruined his Z71 Tahoe in half a year going to McDonalds each day
The Tahoe ain't the only thing your father ruined.

To the OP, get what you like. One of the downsides of an automatic in a Supra is that there is a significant loss of power versus the manual. I don't know what age you are, but shifting your own gears definitely isn't 'cooler.' It's a matter of personal preference, something some people only realize as they grow older. Trust me, rowing through gears gets old, quick, especially when there are things like DSG and TC-SST out there that perform better and offer the pros of a manual with the convenience of an automatic.
Old 11-26-09, 10:28 PM
SClean93
Driver

wow!! just wow....i know the questions he ask was a lil off(alot) but it makes it scarry to ask questions around here...u might get a "internet death"....
but really the question it self was odd and if you can eat while driving a stick is just irresponsible
Old 11-26-09, 10:39 PM
SClean93
Driver

But to the question i love my two cars and they are sticks just bought my wife a altima and its auto but its like a breath of fresh air not having to shift ...also i couldnt see or imagine a supra being a dd so learn how and get the manual..and think before you type (its hard for me too)lol
Old 11-26-09, 10:48 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about you go to the supraforums to ask about a supra....but find a cheap manual DD to learn before you go and fry the clutch on a supra

Last edited by bangdangvn; 11-26-09 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-26-09, 10:53 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm not gonna lie, i eat and drive all the time in a manual car..just gotta keep your eyes on the road while you eat and make sure the burger wrapper doesn't block your view and when there's a lot of traffic then don't eat, wait till there's less trafic....i'm not telling anyone to do this, i'm just saying that i've done it before so don't flame...
Old 11-26-09, 11:53 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC300_704
i'm not gonna lie, i eat and drive all the time in a manual car..just gotta keep your eyes on the road while you eat and make sure the burger wrapper doesn't block your view and when there's a lot of traffic then don't eat, wait till there's less trafic....i'm not telling anyone to do this, i'm just saying that i've done it before so don't flame...
I eat all the time in the car, but not in my sc, I can only amagine how difficult it would be unless I'm in 4th cruising with no stop lights ahead.
Old 11-27-09, 01:22 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

If you can find a decent manual one go for it. They are fun to drive. IMO i have more control driving a manual although mines auto. But i did have mt sr20 powered 240.
Old 11-27-09, 02:04 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your main concern is being able to eat while driving, stick with auto. Leave the manuals to others that truly wants it for performance, not for "cool" factor.

Quick Reply: manual or auto