SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: what to do??? what to do???
50 dollar paint job
3.57%
vinyl wrap
42.86%
maaco
53.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

cheap paint alternative poll...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 07:07 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap paint alternative poll...

so whats everyone think, 50 dollar paint job, vinyl wrap the car, or maaco..... looking for a cheap alternative to the high priced show quality paint jobs, i had the car painted once for 4 grand and im over it now.. the cars not getting any younger and paint doesnt last forever, or at least in florida it doesn't, so just something to make it presentable without breaking my shrinking wallet
Old 11-29-09, 07:08 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Earl scheib is cheap.. ****ty but I think better than maaco
Old 11-29-09, 07:10 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by SCboy
Earl schieb is cheap.. *****ty but I think better than maaco
damn i didnt put them in the poll oops
Old 11-29-09, 07:14 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are both wack, but I think Maaco is a little better, IMO. Atleast near here. I seen both jobs and nether were good, but Maaco had the least runs.

OP, prep the car your self for a better quality look.
Old 11-29-09, 07:19 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

vinyl wrap
Old 11-29-09, 07:36 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
They are both wack, but I think Maaco is a little better, IMO. Atleast near here. I seen both jobs and nether were good, but Maaco had the least runs.

thats good advice, and thats a little expected with the runs in the paint, even the shop that did my car for 4g's didnt do a perfect job...

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
vinyl wrap
i was hoping someone wouldve voted for that, flat black vinyl wrap i think looks pretty sweet with minimal cost compared to paint...
Old 11-29-09, 07:51 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

flat black wrap yo
Old 11-29-09, 07:52 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
vinyl wrap
+1
Maaco paint job, looks like it sounds, a Maaco paint job. 50 dollar paint job requires some expensive equipment and at the end needs a skilled painter. LOTS of work. I say vinyl that bish up with Avery A9 EZ, pretty cost effective and lasts.
Old 11-29-09, 09:05 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS FONZy

oo.. well I wouldn't recommend going to either, I just thought it was a viable option given your budget.

Go vinyl!
Old 11-29-09, 10:00 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

man...isn't vinyl like 3g to wrap the whole car and last about 4 years?
Old 11-29-09, 10:29 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bangdangvn
man...isn't vinyl like 3g to wrap the whole car and last about 4 years?
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56017

There's an SC3 owner that did it himself. I believe it costs a few hundred if you know what you're doing.
Old 11-29-09, 10:48 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

with Earl Scheib... I had a really bad experience with them in the past (not my sc..). I'm always curious of what will be involved before dropping my car off for services which in this case getting the car painted so I asked all the usual questions. They will feed you some BS just to get your business and say they'll do everything (Sand the car down before shooting the paint). They did not do this any of these and just painted the car. When the time I pick the car up I was happy because it looks very good from a distance. I got close and inspected everything and bam, spots here and there. Its my mom's car by the way (92 Camry LE). Anyway, she had door moldings on the corner for preventing other cars to get scratch or whatever when you open. Well, from old age, that molding came off and theres the silicone adhesive left over. Yes, they just freaking painted everything over so there are spots here and there.

Anyway, if you can be **** with them about it then go for it. They even told me prior to leaving the car with convidence that what they say is true, they said that it will also be covered 6 years warranty. Its more of a hassle for us to fight with them so I crossed them off my list of places to take the car in for paint.

Good luck to you tho. I have not tried Maaco so i'll probably give them a shot. I did go to them before going to Earl Schieb. Very professional guys at Maaco. I guess the savings at Earl Schieb sold me to them. The saying is true "You get what you paid for"
Old 11-30-09, 06:20 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sueno2jz

i was hoping someone wouldve voted for that, flat black vinyl wrap i think looks pretty sweet with minimal cost compared to paint...
not minimal cost. to have it professionally done it costs money. to do it on the cheap your self it will look like crap because of the size of the vinyl. from 20 feet away yes it will look good but up close it will be horrible.
Old 11-30-09, 06:50 AM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by Biggu
not minimal cost. to have it professionally done it costs money. to do it on the cheap your self it will look like crap because of the size of the vinyl. from 20 feet away yes it will look good but up close it will be horrible.
yeah i would definitely be doing the wrapping my self if i were to go that route, but i also think i posses the necessary skills to complete the wrap without any problems or having it look fugly... for vinyl being about 300.00 bucks for the roll and looks like a day of prep and stretch, seems like a pretty viable option at this point... it also was stated that the vinyl last 9 years, i dont know how true that is but i think maaco clear coat only last for 2 years from what ive heard,... also i dont think rock chips in the front bumper would be anything to worry about after being vinyl wrapped
Old 11-30-09, 08:53 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

1. Prep the car yourself
2. Take to Maaco/Earl Scheib
3. Colorsand/Polish
4. Great paint job.

Quick Reply: cheap paint alternative poll...