SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Easiest ways to loose wieght... I'm talking about my SC

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-02, 07:43 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Easiest ways to loose wieght... I'm talking about my SC

to get an SC to slim down... I want to get a more supra like curb displacement...

Cost effective ways I'm thinking of:

1. Change the Seats out -- they weigh 75lbs each.
2. Take out the spare tire
3. Buy lightwieght rims (no heavy crap)
4. Carbon fiber drive shaft -- lowing rotating mass & weight... is this worth it?
Any additions? I know there are carbon fiber hoods... but they don't seem to migrate to the US.

Thinking out loud (as usual)
John
Old 05-07-02, 08:37 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a jockey to drive you car

ok ok... A CF hood I think should save you at least 70 lbs. I know that you save 67 lbs by going CF on a Porsche 944, cost? should be around 650$ You would probably have to get someone to custom make it... and find a good CF guy is hard (i'll be emailing you soon Jon, hehe).

A CF drive shaft would save you around 50lbs +- 5lbs. Cost? Last time I talked with ACPT they were talking around 7-900$ (it was a while ago). It will improve that horrible % we SC4 owners get to our rear wheels and will improve acceleration, but not like a TC.

You could always scrape away the sound deadening material, probably good for only about 75lbs... but then you gain all that noise.

The spare tire weighs 54lbs, they are very heavy (in comparison, my 18x9.5" chromed weigh 52lbs)... maybe I have a broken scale...

New (or just avoid 'em all together) mufflers, the old ones weigh a lot, 3 Apexi N1 (and probably similiar) weigh about the same as 1 stock muffler.
Old 05-07-02, 08:58 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Get rid of the transmission. Those things weigh a lot and you don't really need them. I use bicycle gears, 21 speed.

Nah, but seriously, one pound of rotational weight is something like six pounds of dead weight, so some light *** 8-pound wheels will do you loads of good!
Old 05-07-02, 09:24 PM
808state
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DoubleWhoosh has gone through the process. to me, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile adventure (except for the rims). check it out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=weight

in fact, i suggest everyone read all of DoubleWhoosh posts from the past and be ready to learn. just do a search under his username. you can also buy stuff from him at www.tmengineering.net can i get referral credits for sales made from this ???
Old 05-07-02, 09:49 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

That thread is concise and has a lot of good info in it. I know when my friend ripped out all the carpeting in his GS400 to install kick panels, the car was loud as hell on the inside. The GS400 is normally dead quiet, but this carpet-free GS was very loud. The worthwhile mods (IMO) would be first and foremost the lighter wheels, removing the spare tire, swapping the front seats for some fixed all foam racing seats, new mufflers, and the CF hood.

Does anyone know how much the '95 SC wheels weigh (7 spoke)? Who makes them? Are they cast iron?
Old 05-07-02, 10:47 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

you can strip everything off the car except the wheels, frame, engine, stearing wheel, and gas pedal ( who needs brakes???). If u have all those components then u'll be lite as a feather.

but seriously.. if u were to replace the seats which seats would u replace them w/? and wouldn't you miss the automatic seat save function. i'm pretty sure u'd lose that w/ aftermarket seats.
Old 05-07-02, 11:22 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb

Don't forget the "filling your tires with helium" trick!
Old 05-07-02, 11:35 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Howie, there's Recaro, Sparco, Cobra, Momo, Corbeau, Koenig, Omp, Monaco, and many other companies out there... Some of the pricey Porshces come with Recaros custom molded to your butt and fix mounted to the car frame according to your height. No need for adjustment. They are comfy and weigh practically nothing.
Old 05-08-02, 07:01 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

get carbon fiber doors; they'll save far more weight than a hood would....

each door weighs like 70lbs or so... look at the friggin hinges for pete's sake
Old 05-08-02, 12:08 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

remove all the leather(there is alot of them) , sound deadening materials but keep the carpet. No carpet = car is cold. get rid of the AC, install lexan windows, get rid of the power seats, speakers amps radio, get plastic fuel tank, remove everything from trunk including carpet. take all the emblems off. replace steering wheel with racing wheel. remove center console, rear seats, passenger side seat, rear deck and carpeting. Definitely get lighter rims. take out the entire exhaust system and replace with 3" aluminum flex duct piping (they weigh nothing). remove fuse covers, electronic buttons etc that you won't need. Remove antena,antena motor etc. and rear spoile if you have one. Remove dash board and replace with dash pod with 1 7/8" gauges (tach speedo etc). remove power window motors tracks etc (windows won't work anymore) rip out the lining cover for the moonroof and the roof lining. remove headrest. carbon fiber or fiberglass everything that you can. take out the cornering lights and high beam bulbs. Go on a massive diet and weigh in at 84 lbs. Chop off a leg if you are over 5' 6" you are driving an automatic(optional). Shave your head and get a body waxing. Take some laxative and drink water 2 days prior to the weigh in and eat nothing for 48 hours. Cut your toenails and fingernails and if you don't mind shave the eyebrows too. make sure you are being weighed buck naked. Donate some blood. remove the 2 wiper and go to single wiper. while you're at it remove the glove box cover and lining. you know what forget waht I said all the way in the beginning and remove the carpet. let me know if I forgot anything.

Ok disregard everything. I love all the toys in my car. I'm not ripping out anything. I just got bored ... sorry.
Old 05-08-02, 03:23 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

LOL!!!!!! damn VSsc4... u crack me up man
Old 05-08-02, 04:17 PM
importtoys
Pole Position

VSsc400- I may have to print this one!
Old 05-08-02, 04:18 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Taking out the backseat altogether would do mass amounts of good i belive
Old 05-08-02, 04:43 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by the_ez_rhino
Taking out the backseat altogether would do mass amounts of good i belive
Why? They are only cushions. They weigh like eight pounds.
Old 05-08-02, 07:10 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

lex400sc, the stock '95 SC4 7-spoke wheels are alum, 16x7" , with a 225-55 all season tyre, weight is around 41lbs.

Quick Reply: Easiest ways to loose wieght... I'm talking about my SC