SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-02, 07:50 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default grinding noise

This is very random. It tends to happen more when its cold and dry. When I turn my steering wheel at low speed (like parallel parking) I can hear grinding noise. It seems to be comming from the steering column area. It almost sounds like a squeeky door opening and closing slowly. Any ideas? I took the car to the dealer. I have new suspension bushings, tranny mount, engine mount, and new shocks. What could the noise be? Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-08-02, 09:35 AM
007lexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you said your noise is coming from the front area of the car?

what tire size do you have in front?

Does the noise happen only when you turn the wheel direction in a certain direction like left/right? if so, which turn direction do you hear the noise coming from(left/right)?

Old 05-08-02, 10:09 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default It could be the power steering....

...when you turn your steering wheel at low (or no) speed, that is when your power steering pump is working its hardest. If the pump, fluid, and belt is not totally up to snuff, it will make noise at that time.

Our cars (and the LS) are notorious for power steering pump failures. I put up with mine for a few years (always carrying extra fluid in the trunk), and then replaced it about a year ago, when the noise got to be constant (and loud)!
Old 05-08-02, 10:18 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

the noise is comming from the front of the car. I have 16" rims and good year tires. don't know the size but they are not rubbing. It makes noise in either direction I turn.

I just had the power steering pump changed at the dealer less than 6 months ago.
Old 05-08-02, 10:23 AM
007lexus
Driver

Originally posted by VSsc400
the noise is comming from the front of the car. I have 16" rims and good year tires. don't know the size but they are not rubbing. It makes noise in either direction I turn.

I just had the power steering pump changed at the dealer less than 6 months ago.
do you hear the noise when your at 0 mph(at stand still?)

or

when your moving at <1mph?
Old 05-08-02, 10:42 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

0 to 7mph
Old 05-08-02, 10:55 AM
007lexus
Driver

Originally posted by VSsc400
0 to 7mph

well if noise occurs when your at complete stop still then it has todo with your steering system.

Old 05-08-02, 11:06 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you for all the help. What I am worried about is having no steering while driving on the road. I went down to the dealer and they went through the entire car. I have spent over $5000 @ the dealer replace every known filter and almost all known gaskets, break lines, p-steering pump, full tune up, valve stem adjustment new spark plugs, wires etc etc and the list is 8 pages long from Lexus. If it looked like something was going to go wrong I changed it. Well long story short they don't see any problem with the car..... The car does make noise when its @ 0 mph... any usual suspect except the Power steering pump???
Old 05-08-02, 11:16 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Question if it makes noise, how can they say they don't see any problem with the car?

If you spent over $5000, what is stopping you from returning the car to the dealer and having them check out the noise?

If it only happens when the car is cold, have them keep it overnight and loan you an SC430 in the meantime.

And just because the power steering pump is 6 months old, doesn't mean that it couldn't be the culprit. In fact, let's hope it is, since they will probably replace it for free, since you spent over $5000 with them already.

I don't think I've every heard of a car's steering system failing completely- I would not worry about driving the car back to the dealer.
Old 05-08-02, 11:25 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

i have already gone back to the dealer. I left there car there for 3 days and had them check it out. But they can't hear the noise. Its very random and it is very possible that the car doesn't make the noise when its there. After I heard the noise I had them go through the car inch by inch (thus the car being at the dealer for 3 days). Last time I heard the noise was over 1 week ago. They went and did a 128 point check 2 weeks ago when they fixed my flat tire (drove over a bent nail) and came back with no problems. They plugged the car to a computer or something and no error codes. The team (3 guys) assigned to look over my car told me they have never seen a 92 car run so well. Don't know. If I ever find out what the problem was i will post. Another mechanic(who I didn't take the car to) said that it could be CB boot but that wasn't it either. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 05-08-02, 11:27 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

one more thing it makes that noise when its dry and cold as in weather not the engine... so I guess i may not hear the noise for the rest of the summer....
Old 05-09-02, 12:43 PM
teberhardt
Driver School Candidate

My 93 sc400 does the same thing. I took it to the local private lexus repair shop and they said it was the power steering pump. I did not change it since it is ramdom and only on right turns. I have been driving it that way for 6 months. Let me know if you fix yours! I am not really sure its the pump anyway!!
Old 05-09-02, 01:22 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

I am going to go back to the dealer since I had a new pump put in only a few months ago. I'll go back and shove their head down the engine bay and MAKE THEM check it. Thanx
Old 05-09-02, 01:41 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please read

I had the same problem. Check your power steering fluid level. If it is low you will get a whining noise when the car is cold. Once the car is warm though the fluid expands and the noise fades away sicne there is enough fluid. Check the dipstick as soon as possible when the car is cold (morning before work). If low use Dexron III or whatever is the recommended fluid. The problem should go away. Don't wait too long as you do not want to have to replace the pump.

This should help, it helped me

If this has been checked then perhaps they dropped the ball and put in the wrong fluid.
Old 05-09-02, 02:27 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Thumbs up Hermosa is right in that low fluid levels will make that noise...

...and that is why I lived with my bad pump for a few years- I was able to get away with topping off the fluid when it got low, and the noise went away.

But after a few years, I had to replace it because it made the noise even when full of fluid- and not just on cold, dry days, either- all the time! It became a constant turbine-like sound that to an untrained ear was initially impressive- some passengers asked "what kinda hot-rod is this, anyways"?

Quick Reply: grinding noise