SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is it Illegal in California to not have a front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 07:41 AM
gsta127
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGCTY
I think your perspective might change a little bit when you are paying your own bills young buck. I'm not so far removed from being your age that I cant remember that the aesthetic quality of my vehicle trumps all logic, but I can tell you that it is NOT worth it. If the money isnt enough for you to throw away, why deal with the aggravation? I mean taking a stand for a social ill is one thing, but a licence plate? We have to have them here is VA and my FL grown SC I just bought does not have one. And I'm not driving it until I get one. I don't want these VA super troopers and local mudducks pulling me over or giving me a ticket for a damn thing. The law is the law, no matter how many hard boiled goatnutz it sucks.

what do you mean by me paying my own bills would change my mind? Its only $10 each time! Even lexus knew when they sold the Sc's that a front license plate looked bad on the car. If you bought one new they would never mount it for you, they would give it to you separately to make it your decision if you wanted to ruin the look.

In addition to its bad looks, why take the risk of getting a ticket from one of those traffic cameras? I'm not saying that I run red lights but since the cameras take a picture of your front plate it just makes sense not to have one.

When you say its a law that I must follow, I see this law on par with the jaywalking law. Who gives a F***. There is always going to be some idiot cop will ticket you for jaywalking, just like for a missing front plate.
Old 03-05-10, 08:03 AM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gsta127
what do you mean by me paying my own bills would change my mind? Its only $10 each time! Even lexus knew when they sold the Sc's that a front license plate looked bad on the car. If you bought one new they would never mount it for you, they would give it to you separately to make it your decision if you wanted to ruin the look.

In addition to its bad looks, why take the risk of getting a ticket from one of those traffic cameras? I'm not saying that I run red lights but since the cameras take a picture of your front plate it just makes sense not to have one.

When you say its a law that I must follow, I see this law on par with the jaywalking law. Who gives a F***. There is always going to be some idiot cop will ticket you for jaywalking, just like for a missing front plate.
Easy now Star ...I only meant that (I ASSume) you don't have to worry about a mortgage/rent, utilities etc since I believe one of your posts said you were still in HS - which means Mom and/or Pop are probably still footing the bills. Those multiple $10 will add up to a REAL bill out here in the REAL world. But it's all good my man, hold on to that rebellion. I was exactly like that, reminds me of me back in the day. But I guarantee as the years go past your perspective will change.

Last edited by BIGCTY; 03-05-10 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-05-10, 08:24 PM
gsta127
Rookie

Alright yeah i hear what your saying, im only 17 so mom and pops do pay for most things, only wish they would pay for gas though. I guess at this point in my life its worth it but maybe down the road ill realize i should just get one permanently mounted.
Old 03-06-10, 02:47 AM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you have a friend that's a cop to sign off those tickets. Paying $10 for processing fees beats paying whatever the hell they want to charge you for
Old 03-06-10, 08:26 AM
NopainT
Driver School Candidate

I'm so glad I live in GA. The laws here are so lenient towards the "Import crowds"
Old 01-25-11, 10:40 PM
debran6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsta127
So i understand that its illegal, but i refuse to pay the fine because it should be a fix-it-ticket not a $90 citation. It still seems that it should be lexus' fault for importing a car without a place to put a front license plate.

also my friend got the same ticket for the same reason on his 03 mini cooper S, so were going to fight this together.

How did you make out with contesting your ticket?
Old 01-25-11, 10:45 PM
Joey91906
Driver School Candidate

It is illegal in NY too, DO NOT DRILL!!! Use zip ties and hook it low on the bumper, to the side to go JDM, lol but dont damage ur car to comply with a BD law, mount it with zip ties it doesnt look too bad
Old 01-25-11, 10:51 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Retractable Front License Plate Mount $49.95

Retractable Front License Plate Mount. Obey the law without ruining the lines of your car. Just because your home state requires a front license plate doesn't mean you have to drill into your new car's bumper cover to mount one. With this innovative, award-winning plate mount, you can satisfy the letter of the law without ruining the lines of your car.
Attached Thumbnails Is it Illegal in California to not have a front license plate?-retractable.jpg  
Old 01-25-11, 11:09 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

is it illegal in jersey too ?
Old 01-26-11, 12:09 AM
Joey91906
Driver School Candidate

They require the front plate because in high traffic areas it makes it easier to ID a vehicle with 2 places to see plate numbers rather than 1
Old 01-26-11, 12:10 AM
Joey91906
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
is it illegal in jersey too ?
Yes, Florida is the only 1 i know for sure that doesnt require it but im sure less populated states dont require it too, Sometimes local gov can require it. like in NYC theres no turn on red but everywhere else its fine. so check where your car is registered if its required and if u get ticketed you can say that where the car is from its not required. more bs fines are being giving because of the economy, where ever they can get money they will nail you, watch your tints and exhaust too =/ iv gotten a few of those
Old 01-26-11, 06:36 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arizona won't even give you a second plate unless you request one. Only required on the rear of the car
Old 01-26-11, 07:28 AM
510sc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nfordhk
Fix the problem have a front license plate
Take pics
Go to court with pics
then they might waive the ticket since you fixed it.

My brother did that with his car. He got a ticket for exhaust then purchased a silence and showed them a receipt for the silencer said he was sorry for disturbing the peace... and they let it go.

^^^+ 1 i say go with this idea maybe it might help...i be riding with my license plate on my dashboard all day and i be passing cops they havent pulled me over yet...or you can just keep fighting it all the way to the end and see if the cop that gave you a ticket shows up or not...if he doesnt show up then i think you could win the case. but damnnnn man that cop must be hella bored when he pulled you over. GL with the ticket brah
Old 01-26-11, 08:37 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

California...it's illegal to do anything here.

I use to be the anti-front license plate guy but eventually I grew up and realized it's not worth the hassle in CA. Sure the fines are small but time is always an issue. No one wants to be fighting tickets when they can be more productive elsewhere. The only opinion of what the car looks like is ME, and when I'm driving, I don't see it so it doesn't bother me
Old 01-26-11, 08:42 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
California...it's illegal to do anything here.

I use to be the anti-front license plate guy but eventually I grew up and realized it's not worth the hassle in CA. Sure the fines are small but time is always an issue. No one wants to be fighting tickets when they can be more productive elsewhere. The only opinion of what the car looks like is ME, and when I'm driving, I don't see it so it doesn't bother me
If you only get pulled over once in a while paying the ticket is cheap insurance for not getting a red light camera ticket.

Last edited by account2x; 02-21-11 at 01:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Is it Illegal in California to not have a front license plate?