SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is it Illegal in California to not have a front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 08:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. Having no license plate doesn't automatically get you a ticket, but it can increase the chance if the cop is being ****.

And no, it's not cheap insurance for not getting a red light camera ticket. It's a common misconception that has somehow spread around, but have you ever seen that particular ticket? They send you one with a picture of the front AND back of the car. Go to an intersection where there are light cameras and observe the camera positions. The one that's going to shoot you from behind is placed well behind the intersection so you cannot escape it. By the time you even hit the first white line, the camera is already maybe 50 feet behind you. They didn't just randomly placed the camera. It's well thought out to ensure they catch you. They aren't going to spend millions of dollars for a system that is blind.

I have no problem with people not running front plates because it's their choice and it certainly doesn't affect me. I just happen to put mine on because it's not worth it and living with it for so long, it doesn't bother me anymore. I know plenty of people who use to take theirs off, but again, most grew out of the phase and slapped their plates back on.
Old 01-26-11, 08:55 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
And no, it's not cheap insurance for not getting a red light camera ticket. It's a common misconception that has somehow spread around, but have you ever seen that particular ticket? They send you one with a picture of the front AND back of the car. Go to an intersection where there are light cameras and observe the camera positions. The one that's going to shoot you from behind is placed well behind the intersection so you cannot escape it. By the time you even hit the first white line, the camera is already maybe 50 feet behind you. They didn't just randomly placed the camera. It's well thought out to ensure they catch you. They aren't going to spend millions of dollars for a system that is blind.
Perhaps you misunderstood me. I know perfectly well that they take pictures of both the front and the back but that's not the issue. What is important is the laws & the system and part of that system is double checking or making sure or whatever you want to call it. Without the front license plate they will throw out the citation.
Old 01-26-11, 09:14 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get one of these plates and be done with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1zIG...eature=related
Old 01-26-11, 09:32 AM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running without a front plate on my car for 3 years now and I haven't got pulled over...yet.
Old 01-26-11, 10:26 AM
JDM FINEST
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea
i got two tickets already in LA =/
it hurt to drill 2 holes in the front bumper
it just doesnt look the same with the plates in front
sighhh**
Old 01-26-11, 11:15 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

yup just got a ticket signed off and paid for a few months back
Old 01-26-11, 06:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
Perhaps you misunderstood me. I know perfectly well that they take pictures of both the front and the back but that's not the issue. What is important is the laws & the system and part of that system is double checking or making sure or whatever you want to call it. Without the front license plate they will throw out the citation.
I can tell you have little experience with how the system works. They take both front and back to allow maximum exposure in case one camera doesn't catch the plate as well as the other. As long as the plate is legible (front or back), then it doesn't matter. You still get a ticket. Cameras now are set up to take pictures a few times to get the best picture. Not to mention, video recording is now common so if they can't read your plate at 0.2 seconds, they'll just read it at 0.5 seconds.
Old 01-26-11, 06:57 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

The fine for not having a front license plate just went up about 2 weeks ago. I think it's at $140 or $180 now No insurance is at about $800.
Old 01-26-11, 08:25 PM
DiRocco
Driver School Candidate

Default It's the law

And who made the law? Laws are made by the people! People can have a law repealed under certain instances. If it means enough to you, do some research. What's the revenue on front plate tickets vs the cost of ALL those second front plates for example. Start a petition with a good set of pros and cons which convinces people the benefits of repealing the front plate law. It's a little more complicated than that, but it's just a thought.

Love that hide away plate!
Old 01-26-11, 08:40 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts

California has to be the worst place to own a car....

Oklahoma and Florida seem to be the most relaxed places to own a car.
Old 01-26-11, 08:44 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Default ..

nope .. not legal... got a ticket myself for it... definitely not worth it... keep it on...