SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

60K Service, $1,375???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-02, 07:08 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing to consider, walk to the service area of the dealer and talk to the mechanic at his bay ask him if he does side job. Some mechanic will do side job because the dealer let their employee have the use of their work bay to do work on their own car after business hour on certain days. They can bring any car in to work on. This way you'll have the same work but less cost. The dealer charge you $80/hr if the mechanic charge you $40/hr you just cut the labor cost in half
Old 05-10-02, 07:09 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by awj
I figured VQT would be all over this one. You're the man.
Old 05-10-02, 08:50 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not kidding...

My owners manual shows first major (non-rough) service at 90k miles, timing belt then makes it MAJOR. Rough service useage requires timing belt change at 60k.

You don't have to take it to a different dealer you just have to be FIRM with yours. Show them the factory recommeded service schedule and insist that only that be done and that it be written up that way by the service writer. I had one dealer, Ford, refund $500 of a $680 charge becuase they didn't read what the service slip said and went ahead and did their gouging routine.

Oil NEVER wears out, lubricating oil NEVER loses the capability to lubricate. You change your engine lubricating oil on a regular basis mostly becuase over time it becomes contaminated with the by-products of combustion, stuff that slips by the compression rings.

Your trans fluid is specially formulated to allow the "dust" from the clutches to settle into the sump and not be a problem. In three cars, a 68 & 75 Ford and a 92 LS I have accrued 580k miles and never drained the trans or the diff'l, and I won't waste of time and money.

The one exception is if you have a certain type of LSD, some need the clutches serviced at about 100k.

Anyone who lets a service shop "gofer" mess with his brake system/fluid deserves what he gets. Brake systems are very thoroughly SEALED, if your brake fluid becomes contaminated the factory has a very seriously flawed design. I might change out my brake fluid at something like 150 to 200k miles but certain not before unless something has failed.

Last edited by wwest; 05-10-02 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-10-02, 09:55 AM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

Don't do it at the dealer. I took my father's LS400 (90K miles) to a local, reputable mechanics and he did it all for only $1000.00 which includes front and rear pads change. All parts were OEM part which I insisted on: Timing Belt, water pump, tensioners, pulleys, fan belts and fresh coolants. He has since put about 2K on it and it is running as soon as a baby's butt.

The point is, just find a reputable independent shop and do it for much less than the dealer. They are just as good.

Jack
98 540I
92 SC400
Old 05-10-02, 12:39 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the 60k doesn't include new brake pads, or any suspension revamping? Rebalancing, alignment, or tire rotation? My brakes are squealing towards the end of my stops. I know this is normal behavior after extended commuting time, but it's annoying to me. What's the lifespan on the pads anyway? What's the lifespan of the stock suspension?

Minus the timing belt, how much SHOULD this service cost? $500-600??
Old 05-10-02, 01:45 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

If your car is old and you do the timing belt you might as well:

Replace the thermostat
Replace water pump
Replace the idler

These are all part of the same labor as the timing belt.

That way you can go another 100k even if you don't have that much yet before replacing these items again.

Just my 2cents
Old 05-10-02, 03:06 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Just came back from the dealership and one of the service consultants told me $1400 does not include the timing belt change. It's only for the standard Schedule B service. His reasoning for the price was that a lot of labor work goes into the valve clearance adjustments since they are DOHC. He said it'd be a lot cheaper and easier on the newer cars where the vavles are located under the block. In that instance, they can just do a listening test. I think it's all elaborate bull***** since you can hear vavle ticking no matter where they are located. So yes, with no timing belt it is $1400 and two full days of labor. Since my car only really needs an oil change right now, I think i'll pass on the 60k until further notice. I also mentioned to him that my mom's 60k was only $500 on a Benz and he claimed that's because Mercedes is on a different service schedule and that they probably do all the heavy work at the 90k (BS). I mentioned that there are dozens of other Lexus owners here that have gotten the 60k done for around $700 and again he pulled the "different service schedule" on me. He said something like all dealerships are indiependently owned therefore it's up to the management when they set the valve inspection, but they usually do it on the 60k or 90k. The Owner's Manual says nothing about that, and clearly states 60 k is valve inspection time. After I CANCELLED the service appointment, he said that if I could materialize a 60k service manifest from another Lexus dealership that showed a different cost for the same services, that he would match it. So if any of you that got your 60k's done for less still have your invoices, I'd be grateful if you could mail me a photocopy of it so that I can get this thing squared away. Thanks.
Old 05-11-02, 03:44 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

I agreed on adjusting the valves is a lot of work. It is up to you to have the valves adjust, I don't think the car need it. Do you abuse your car like people brag about their car on this forum? I baby my car all the time, and rarely red line the engine. I do jump on it from time to time. My white SC400 has 130K mi. and the Green one has 160K now. I don't think both ever had the valves adjusted by the last owner and boht run fine.
Old 05-11-02, 05:58 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

It's time like this I wish I had self-adjusting hydrolic vavles (VVTI).
Old 05-11-02, 09:18 PM
strongsail
Instructor

fwiw, a local independent shop owner who works on lots of Lexi told me he has been ordered many times by v8 owners to check valve adjustment as part of routine service, and he has never - never - had to re-shim a valve. Regardless of mileage, clearance was always within spec. Skip the valve adjust.

Lexus of Portland (OR) quotes $498 for the 60K service and $345 for the 90K, timing belt is another $390.
Old 05-12-02, 12:38 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by machinegt
i was quoted about $850 for the 60k service
Thats how much it is for my GS 400. It's nto at 60k yet, but i saw the price list on a guys desk at JM Lexus.
Old 05-12-02, 01:06 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

You have VVTi and if Machinegt has a 98+ SC400 so does he. That would eliminate all the major work and drops the price down dramatically. I wonderif they check it anyway? $850 seems like a lot for just fluid flushing, general inspection, new filters, and new spark plugs. Either way, I'll skip the valve inspection because I don't hear a ticking sound anyway.

Portland Oregon seems like the place to be. Maybe it's the 0% sales tax?? I'm working on a couple things for the 60k right now, but if all else fails, I may get in touch with Lexus of Portland. Could you imagine if Steve Ganz ran a parts shop up there?! :eek:
Old 05-12-02, 12:41 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

yah 850 is a ton for a regular tune up, but i made sure to milk as many free sodas and juices from the lounge as i could! hehe
Old 05-12-02, 02:01 PM
ArraKis
Driver School Candidate

Hi fellows,

In talking to various mechanics including some that work for the Lexus dealer here in Dallas, I was told by everyone of them that it would be a waste to change timing belt before 90k. None of the mechanics I spoke with have seen a timing belt failure due solely to high mileage. They were all replaced only because of the maintenance recommendation, and just like me, no one wants to risk the possible damage on the engine. As far as I know, my 95 SC400 is NOT a non-interference model.

Most of you have probably seen the timing belt on an SC400, it is hugh and made out of teflon and it hardly ever fails. I replaced mine at 90K a few months ago and with all the services including OEM timing belt, drive-train belt, OEM spark-plug wire, NGK platinum spark-plugs, water pumps, thermostat, pulleys, and all the fluid change except differential, the total bill came under $1,400. However, I did use the service from a very honest and dependable AAA shop here in Plano TX which I have done business with for almost 16 years. It would have cost me more than $2,000 if I had taken my car to the local Lexus dealer. I know because I have checked the price with two different dealerships in town. Hope this helps.

AK

Last edited by ArraKis; 05-12-02 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-13-02, 01:28 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Do all those things yourself and pay about1/4 to 1/3 for parts. The timing belt and water pump should be included if, you are paying that much. BTW, why doesn't the dealer recommend the water pump replacement when, changing the timing belt?

Quick Reply: 60K Service, $1,375???