SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

60K Service, $1,375???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-02, 04:57 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by black sc
Do all those things yourself and pay about1/4 to 1/3 for parts. The timing belt and water pump should be included if, you are paying that much. BTW, why doesn't the dealer recommend the water pump replacement when, changing the timing belt?
Because the water pump rarely fails, but it does. Why would a dealer or a garage recommend you to change the water pump. They just wait for the pump to fail then you have to pay for the labor to replace the pump, again. You on the other hand don't want to have the possibility of having the pump to develop leaks two months after the timing belt changed. That's is why we recommend to send the money for the new pump now and not having to pay the labor twice. It is just one of the preventive maintenance on top of the timing belt that's all.
I like to drive my SC400 long distance at anytime I feel like. Therefore, I like to have all the preventive maintenance done.
Old 06-04-02, 06:49 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I came back from an oil change at the dealership today and they're telling me the 60k service is now $1295 and includes valve timing adjustment, cooling system work, transmission work, full fluid flush, spark plugs, suspension and braking inspection, and a lot of other stuff. There is a list of around 50 tasks they perform. They said without the vavle timing adjustment it'd be $951. Does this pricing sound about right or still no good? In another 4300 miles, I'll be hitting 60k so I'm approaching the threshold for the service.
Old 06-04-02, 10:37 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,

I had to chime in on this one.

Please save over 1,000 dollars by going out and getting the factory service manual for your car. Then....

1. Can you take a listen to the engine? hear any tapping out of sequence? or louder than the other taps? 1 in 1000 will need any adjustments.

2. Order up some parts from any number of discount Lexus/Toyota parts dealers.

3. Change your spark plugs, fuel filter, pcv valve, coolant, trans fluid, diff fluid, wiper inserts. While your changing the plugs have a look at your timing belt when the covers are off. You will not need to service your timing belt. Period.

There you go, nothing on that 60k service is tough. Basic, basic, basic stuff. I have a 92LS with 130k, 92 SC4 with 75k and a 94 LS with 75k all on the factory timing belt and factory water pumps. Will the engine be damaged if the timing belt breaks? Nope, it wont damage the engine. Do I change the fluids, plugs, coolant, filters? Yes!!!, Yes!!! and Yes!. I do...not the dealers. Do I inspect the timing belt every time I service the cars? Yep, it only takes 5 minutes to inspect the timing belt. I have the complete timing belt service parts list sitting in my tool box when the time comes....belt, wp, idler pulleys, seals and orings. From the looks of the belt in my 92LS....I will plan to change it around 150k if it needs or not. hehe I have had that timing belt, wp and pulleys sitting in my box for ages just waiting to use them on any of the 3 cars. The stuff just collects dust.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-02, 06:25 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do it yourself, parts cost less than $200. Adjusting the valves are more time consuming that what they quote; therefore, I think they just want you to give them the money without doing anything to the valves. I don't know if 95 SC has hydraulic valve lifters if it is no adjustment needed. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-05-02, 02:21 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Well here's the thing... I do hear a steady ticking sound coming from around the block at idle and I think my rear right shock is leaking fluid because there is hydraulic oil crusted around it. For this reason I'm probably going to buy Tokico gas shocks and Eibach Prokits soon. The oil change they performed included:

Engine oil and filter change
Inspect brake fluid and top off
Inspect for fluid leaks
Inspect int and ext lights
Inspect wipers and washer fluid
Inspect battery electrolyte
Inspect auto trans fluid
Inspect exhaust system
Inspect/adjust coolant level
Inspect radiator and hoses
Inspect engine drive belts
Inspect steering system/fluid
Inspect bolts & nuts on chassis
Inspect body for corrosion

They gave the car a clean bill of health, but also said I had a brake light out and that's why my rear light indicator was flashing. I took the tail light out and EVERY bulb worked so I'm weary of their diagnostic abilities.

Basically I'm thinking all I need is new spark plugs and a valve adjustment. The service guy told me they adjust many other electronics in the car too so I really don't know anymore.

One thing I noticed on the invoice is that they're using 5W30 oil. Is this the optimal oil for a California climate or would 10W30 suit me better?

BTW, I think the hydraulic vavle lifters were introduced with VVT-i 2UZ-FEs (1998+).
Old 08-19-02, 01:39 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

lex400sc,

what was the conclusion to your 60k miles service? I'm about to get mine (current at 56k) soon enough. I'd appreciate how everything went with yours. What did you end up doing and how much?
Old 08-19-02, 05:51 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Had a "Lexus friend" do my 60k. I only paid like $230 or so in parts, which included a new window motor regulator. Of course I did pay him an additional $250 for his time .
Old 08-19-02, 07:44 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I was charged over a grand at Lexus of Marin and they sure as hell didn't change my timing belt.. the last straw at their service department was when they chipped my car and the little ***** of a manager denied doing it. On top of it I strongly suspect they didn't do the service either. Lexus dealers are just as shady as any other dealer, if not more so because they lull the customer into a false sense of security.

Moreover, the dealer has you changing the oil at every 5000 miles. BAD IDEA!! the oil was black like paint at 4000 when I changed it myself, and so I've been changing at 3000 with synthetic ever since.
Old 08-19-02, 11:36 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I too have had bad experiences with my Lexus dealer, and would never trust them to touch my car again. This is the same dealer my girlfriend just picked up a new RX300 from, and it turns out this thing has been damaged and repainted in the rear. They didn't even bother to offer an explanation. It's been a couple months now, and it's still not straightened out, she's been back to them at least half a dozen times now, they didn't even bother to detail it when she came to pick it up! If it were me I would have stopped payment long ago, but she says she just wants them to make the truck right, and she'll be happy, she's waaay too nice if you ask me, lord knows what I would do to those *****less thieves. I did the service myself and had the comfort of knowing it had been done right, I spent definitely more than $200 for the parts, but I did everything, diff lube, oil+filter, PCV, fuel filter, plugs, wires, caps, rotors, Dex-Cool, etc, etc, etc. By the way, they told me they never change a fuel filter, even on a 150k mile car, because the fittings strip :eek: , and they weren't even using Dex-Cool until recently, just regular green coolant. I quizzed them and found out they knew far less about the car than I did, and figured i'd be better off letting a Taliban work on my car . Hey, scam artists can be 'elite of Lexus' too, ya know?
- Jon
Attached Thumbnails 60K Service, alt=,375???-compressed-01-25-02-service.jpg  
Old 08-19-02, 12:00 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys. I got my SC400 tuned up at the dealer. Well it was a maintance service for 60K miles. They said it would be about $600 so I told them to go ahead and do it. They told me it would take 2 days and on the second day I called them to see if my car was done and they told me yes and I asked how much it would be and they told me the total will be something like $1600. Actually it was way over 1600 it was closer to 2Gs. I was so mad especially when I got the car back because They didnt notice my AC was boken even tho I asked them to look in that in me half burned out needle. They didht notice some engine noise or anything else like my CD player. I told them to check all these things which they never did. When I got there I was so pissed and I talked to the rep and shes like you never told me and I was like WTF I was right here talking to you about this yesterday and now you're telling me I didnt tell you. I got a few sheets of paper back with the things they did on it and all they did for about 2grand was check a few things change a few fluids and change my brakes which I had to pay for. I think it was a total rip off since I could have went to a different mechanic and got all the done for a lot lessss. I would never get anything done at the dealership. I think it said something about changing spark plugs and all this other stuff. When I looked under the hood and checked around I realized they didnt even touch it. What a rip off. Never got to the dealership unless you got money to waste for nothing.
Old 08-19-02, 01:29 PM
SC400onDubs
Rookie

I just got my lexus serviced at Stevens Creek Dealer about a month ago. Since I replaced my oil at Wal-Mart (full synthetic for 27 bucks), I told the dealer not to replace the oil. I requested not to change my spark plugs as well since I did it already.

Without spark plugs and an oil change my bill was $750. Valve adjustment was "supposedly" done.
Old 08-19-02, 01:59 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

boy oh boy. all the horror stories.
one main reason i want to get the major service done at the dealership is for re-sale value. it always helps to see a car has been serviced properly at the dealer (lexus keeps track of everything and a detailed report can be generated for you).
for resale value alone i thought it'd be worth it to pay a bit more.

does anyone live in VA/MD/DC? Pohanka Lexus is right next to my work and I wonder if anyone has anything to say about them.
Please help (or recommend me a mechanic in my area) ? ?
Old 08-19-02, 03:26 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

If you live in CA, AZ, or NV, take your Lex to Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys. ClubLexus has a 15% off deal with Keyes Lexus. Just mention it and you get 15% off any part you buy there. Even though they may charge you the standard 60K labor fee, they will take care of you. No rip offs, lies, shady deals, misuse or abuse, or anything like that.

Legends6spd, I have a Lexus receipt for all the 60K parts with my car's mileage and date printed on it. So anyone that can put two and two together will know that I had a 60K service performed on time.

MadMax, so Lexus of Marin sucks? I'll keep that in mind. Have you tried Serramonte? I've "heard" they are pretty good, but never had any service done there before.
Old 08-19-02, 03:30 PM
SC400onDubs
Rookie

I heard Magnussen Lexus of Fremont has the best service of all Lexus dealers. The would even tow your car when your at work. The only thing is thier notorious with the pricing as well.
Old 08-19-02, 08:58 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Serramonte has been a good place as far as I know.. most of the mechanics there are gearheads with Supras and MR2s who know what they're doing. I bought my L-Tuned wheels down there and their guy hauled my old wheels all the way back up to Marin for free. They also held the ClubLexus meet there last July and that's where I met Leo from Weapon-R and a couple other guys.