SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

60K Service, $1,375???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-02, 02:27 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 60K Service, $1,375???

My SC400 has about 55,000 miles on it, and I took it in to schedule a 60,000 mile service. All was well until I asked on my way out how much it was going to cost. The lady pulled out a binder and showed me a price of $1375. :eek: Holy Bjesus! There goes all my mod money for a long time!...

Is this the standard price you guys are getting for the 60k service? I want to stay with Lexus service any not some third party auto shop. Are there any uneccessaries that I can cut out of the service? For instance, I know I don't need a new panel filter, and my belts look to be in good condition.

Also, I did a search and didn't get much as far as what is done in a 60k service. What do they actually do to your car for all that money? They're taking my car for two days so I know that it entails a buttload of labor fees. Anyway, this just about takes the bulk of my highly anticipated tax return checks
Old 05-09-02, 02:55 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

holy crap are u for reals?
mine is also at 55k and soon to be ready for the 60k service. u r really scaring me :eek:
Old 05-09-02, 03:37 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Well the 60k service is the biggest one you get and you'll only have to do it maybe twice per car. I'm hoping there is some way to cut the price a little. Do they replace bulbs too, cause all of mine are brand new. What about my cold air box, should I remove that before giving them my car?
Old 05-09-02, 04:10 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask them for the list of 60K mi. service entail. Two days! I don't think so. If you have time, spend those two days at the dealership to see the total time they spend on your car.

If they change the timing belt then the price is reasonable, but they won't replace the water pump unless you tell them. Highly doub that they change the belt though (they could check the condition of the timing belt and not replacing it). Got to check on them.

How much is the labor charge at the dealer? $80/hr?

According to my 93 SC400 repair manual, 60K miles service, with schedule B, replace the following.
- Timing belt
- Oil and filter
- Air filter
- Fuel tank cap gasket
- Spark Plugs
- Brake fluid
- Automatic trans. fluid and differential oil
Make sure they do this if you're paying that kind of money.

FYI, my white SC was service by the dealer on everything. The last owner had money I checked with the service print out to make sure that he didn't lie. He had the car service at 30K, 60K, 90K and even everything in between like 15K, 45K, and 75K miles. So what? The timing belt, trans. oil, plugs and wires were never changed. I haven't check the differential oil yet...
I DON'T TRUST DEALER. They charge the last owner for the service without doing it

Last edited by VQT; 05-09-02 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-09-02, 04:58 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Okay I just checked with my mother and her 60K service for a Mercedes E-class was only $400-500. Something is very wrong here.......

Old 05-09-02, 05:20 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RTI

why don't you bother to look in your owners manual/packet. In there you can discover that factory recommended 60k service should only cost you about $100-$150, $75 DIY.
Old 05-09-02, 05:23 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I misplaced the Owners Manual a while ago. I have a 94 Owners Manual, but I haven't looked at it much. I'll see what it says though...

$150, you're kidding right???
Old 05-09-02, 08:55 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

i was quoted about $850 for the 60k service and they only charged me what they quoted me too. i thought that was real good, that they didn't tack on any unnecessary charges or anything at the last minute. my labor charge is around $80/hr

so it sounds like they are making you pay hella lot for that 60k tune up.

Last edited by machinegt; 05-09-02 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-09-02, 09:09 PM
GOLDSc300
Pit Crew

$1375 doesnt seem that bad considering our local lexus dealer wants $1800 for the 60K service on our 92 SC300. I really think that instead of going to the dealer I might just go to a local repair shop and get it all done for less than 1000.
Old 05-09-02, 10:46 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Okay, so far I have a price range from $150 to $1800 and everything in between. What gives????
Old 05-09-02, 11:46 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Hi Lex400SC,

60K service includes an inspection of everything and the following are replaced:

Engine Coolant (.9hrs)
Fuel Tank Cap Gasket (?hrs)
Spark Plugs
Engine and Oil filter(.5hrs)
Air Filter(2 seconds)

Tune-up from Lexus (3.7 hrs) so subtract the oil filter time.

Total 4.6 hours plus the fuel tank gasket and other stuff.

They are ripping you off.

Just check all the fluid levels yourself since many times they don't really check everything anyway.

If you really want to do a good tune-up do this.
Get the air filter yourself since a monkey could install it.
Get the plugs,caps,rotors, maybe wires changed(2hrs labor)
Get the fuel filter changed(.5hrs)
Flush your coolant(.9hrs)
Change the differential fluid(.5hrs)
Change your tranny fluid(1hrs) remember to only use Lexus Spec ATF or you'll be sorry
Parts ~ $325
Service ~ $350

Use the $700 you save for some mods.

Get the parts at LexusSC400.com, Irontoad.com, or from Steve at Carson Toyota.
Old 05-10-02, 12:14 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Anything else I need to know? I'm sure a lot of us have had the 60k done on our cars, is this the same price they are quoting you? I know she didn't pull the price out of her ***, because she whipped out a binder and flipped to a chart that said | $1375 | 1995 SC400 | 60,000mi |. Maybe they have a special binder labelled "suckers" for those like me that will pay it.

I think I'm going to print this out and show the service consultant lady that quoted me nearly $1400. Depending on what she has to say, I might just cancel the service and leave that dealership for the last time. I was quite shocked at the price initially, but being that this is the first vehicle I've ever had to take into get a 60k, I wasn't sure if my reaction had any basis. Thanks for all your help guys!

BTW: This Owner's Manual thingy has some good stuff in it!
Old 05-10-02, 05:14 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
Anything else I need to know? I'm sure a lot of us have had the 60k done on our cars, is this the same price they are quoting you? I know she didn't pull the price out of her ***, because she whipped out a binder and flipped to a chart that said | $1375 | 1995 SC400 | 60,000mi |. Maybe they have a special binder labelled "suckers" for those like me that will pay it.

I think I'm going to print this out and show the service consultant lady that quoted me nearly $1400. Depending on what she has to say, I might just cancel the service and leave that dealership for the last time. I was quite shocked at the price initially, but being that this is the first vehicle I've ever had to take into get a 60k, I wasn't sure if my reaction had any basis. Thanks for all your help guys!

BTW: This Owner's Manual thingy has some good stuff in it!
lex400sc,

If they change the timing belt then the price seem alright for a dealer. That is what the dealer charge everyone. Does it make you feel better that you're not the only sucker

You haven't read the owner manual yet And you are a moderator of SC400 forum

Recommend you spend money to buy the repair manual and work on what you can with the car. The things that you can't handle then let the dealer or a local garage handle.
Old 05-10-02, 05:44 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I figured VQT would be all over this one. You're the man.

I just turned 100,000 a few days ago and called the dealer in Cincinnati about service intervals and cost. He said ( the guy in the service dept. ) that you need a 60k and 120k and that is it. Well, I know that is not all - but I also do routine inspections of the cars I own. I also know a good local tech - I always try to find one whenever I move to an area. Therefore, I'm not worried about it. You need to inspect your belts, fluid levels and such routinely. I also check tires, rotors, and whatever else I think of while I'm at it. Anyways, the dealer in Cincy told me a price of
680$ or so for the full 60k service.

Therefore - you are getting screwed.
Find another dealership or a good local tech. Or do it yourself.
Good luck.

Edit:
On second thought - that is a qoute for the 2jz-ge -
The UZ-FE may be more money. Especially if valve lash adjustment is accounted for.

Last edited by awj; 05-10-02 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-10-02, 06:04 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only have 50K miles on my 92 SC400 but since the car is old I went ahead and did the 60K service ahead of schedule. I paid in the 1400 range. Hhe is what they did.

Replaced timing belt, replaced spark plugs and wires. Checked valve stems springs etc and adjusted as necessary. Tranny fluid change, differential service, oil change, coolant flush and fill, fuel filter change, new air filter, brake fluid, power steering(i paid extra since the pump had to be changed but normally included), 60 point visual check, the also washed and vaccumed my car. I remember these items but I'll check if they did anything else and post if they did anything else.

Quick Reply: 60K Service, $1,375???