SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Use your iPhone to start your SC. Viper SmartStart in action video.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 01:54 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it does 2 way. After the first year you have to start paying a fee. and the thing has a msrp of 299. ~299 for everything that your key chain remote already does...

I think other comparable viper systems have a 1 mile range in the first place. But i think in the real world that comes down to 1/4 miles(2 way), which puts it well with in 99/100 out of parking situations.

I think the viper alarms are awesome though. the remotes look so much better compared to everything else out there.

im close to getting a 5901 myself.
Old 12-17-09, 02:20 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TecnoSmurf
I don't think it does 2 way. After the first year you have to start paying a fee. and the thing has a msrp of 299. ~299 for everything that your key chain remote already does...

I think other comparable viper systems have a 1 mile range in the first place. But i think in the real world that comes down to 1/4 miles(2 way), which puts it well with in 99/100 out of parking situations.

I think the viper alarms are awesome though. the remotes look so much better compared to everything else out there.

Like I was saying in my previous post in the future it will have 2-way capability for alarm notification, that's what Viper's tech support told me when I was activating my unit. Service cost's $29.99/year

I actually have the 5901, I misposted it as a 5701. I love it, best two-way unit I've owned and the rechargeable remote is very nice. I liked my Viper 791XV I had on a previous vehicle but replacing AAA batteries all the time gets old.

I agree, if you park next to your house and don't need it's "unlimited" range the SmartStart might not be for you. In my case I primarily use it where the 5901 remote won't work.
Old 12-17-09, 02:29 AM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TecnoSmurf

I agree with you that this is more of a WOW factor product. I honestly couldnt see myself using this over the normal remote that often but if I had this system I would def get it just so when my friends ask me "oh I left something in your car can I get your keys for a sec" I can just hand over my iphone. New pick up line maybe?
Old 12-17-09, 06:56 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Amalan
I agree with you that this is more of a WOW factor product. I honestly couldnt see myself using this over the normal remote that often but if I had this system I would def get it just so when my friends ask me "oh I left something in your car can I get your keys for a sec" I can just hand over my iphone. New pick up line maybe?
It definitely is a bit of a toy. I use it for it's range and because it's a fun add on to have. I like the pickup line idea!
Old 12-17-09, 07:02 AM
djb5118
Lead Lap

i wonder if you need to somehow bypass the clutch with a 5spd for the remote start to work?
Old 12-17-09, 07:31 AM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djb5118
i wonder if you need to somehow bypass the clutch with a 5spd for the remote start to work?
I believe what they do is put two thin wires across the shifter so if the shifter is in gear itll touch the wire and disable remote start.
Old 12-17-09, 07:44 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Does this unit have a paging service? If someone bumps your car and triggers the alarm, will the alarm send a signal to your phone to let you know what is going on?
Old 12-17-09, 08:04 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Very cool!
Old 12-17-09, 10:00 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djb5118
Yes, normally you would use a relay to momentarily connect the clutch switch. Also, on a manual it's a good idea to connect the neutral safety wire so the remote start will only function if the car isn't in gear.

Originally Posted by Luxor
Does this unit have a paging service? If someone bumps your car and triggers the alarm, will the alarm send a signal to your phone to let you know what is going on?
Not presently, but the tech support folks say the capability is there and they plan on adding it in the relatively near future without needing to swap any hardware.
Old 12-17-09, 12:08 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

this seems great for the primary use of cold start warm ups before you get in your car... but if it was your only key, better hope you don't run outa battery.
Old 12-17-09, 12:19 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Overall, I have always been impressed with the securtiy works from Viper. I like it, so you dont have to get into a cold leather seat. My leather seats takes nearly 20 minutes to really feel the heat. Will this work through a Ipod Touch? I didnt know if it was 3G network or what? You have my vote!
Old 12-17-09, 03:52 PM
SClean93
Driver

now i just need an iphone....and the viper smartstart.......and an engine....this is getting difficult
Old 12-17-09, 03:59 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Overall, I have always been impressed with the securtiy works from Viper. I like it, so you dont have to get into a cold leather seat. My leather seats takes nearly 20 minutes to really feel the heat. Will this work through a Ipod Touch? I didnt know if it was 3G network or what? You have my vote!
Im sure its a standard app, which means it wlll also work on an ipod touch...but you'll have to have wi fi
Old 12-17-09, 04:00 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice..........
Old 12-17-09, 05:42 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by That-Guy
this seems great for the primary use of cold start warm ups before you get in your car... but if it was your only key, better hope you don't run outa battery.
Actually you still have to use have to use your regular key to drive, like other remote starts this unit's sole purpose is to allow you to warm up/cool down your vehicle.

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Yes, you can use an iPod Touch. Like TomLee said, you just have to have wifi internet access to use the SmartStart app.

Quick Reply: Use your iPhone to start your SC. Viper SmartStart in action video.