SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

95 Era SC400 ECU - Has Anyone Dissembled or Re-Pin'd Them Before?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 10:08 PM
Chambers45
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 95 Era SC400 ECU - Has Anyone Dissembled or Re-Pin'd Them Before?

Hi all,

I have a 1UZ-FE ECU out of a 95 SC400. I noticed some corrosion on plug "E11" (The single gray 40 pin plug), took a closer look and found pin 33 missing, that pin is the "BATT" on the ECU and gets power from the 30A EFI fuse. I attempted to dissemble the ECU but the glue/silicone under the covers stopped me from progressing, and I do not want to damage it any more than it is.

So, my questions to all of you are; has anyone dissembled one of these ECUs before, and has anyone re-pin'd them? Any info or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
Old 12-19-09, 12:00 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been playing with the SC400 a lot, especially the 95 SC400, but I haven't seen anyone had touched to fix or modiy the stock ECU. If you really want to do it and are willing to take the risk, then you can use a solder gun to heat up the silicone around the edge to soften it. A heat gun may heat up the whole ECU and possibly fry other circuits inside of it.
Old 12-19-09, 02:16 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just used a small flat head screwdriver and popped it open. The glue wasn't hard to get off. Its like the same stuff they use on brochures. The kind you can peel off and form it like puddy.
Old 12-19-09, 09:02 AM
Chambers45
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stevechumo
I've been playing with the SC400 a lot, especially the 95 SC400, but I haven't seen anyone had touched to fix or modiy the stock ECU. If you really want to do it and are willing to take the risk, then you can use a solder gun to heat up the silicone around the edge to soften it. A heat gun may heat up the whole ECU and possibly fry other circuits inside of it.
Originally Posted by sc-driver
I just used a small flat head screwdriver and popped it open. The glue wasn't hard to get off. Its like the same stuff they use on brochures. The kind you can peel off and form it like puddy.
Ok, I think I will give it another go then. Its already "broke" so the worst that could happen is I have to find another one. Thanks for your replies, If I'm adamant enough I will post some pics of my progress.
Old 12-19-09, 06:36 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

I have a spare 95 SC400 ECU in good working condition. I took it out and replaced with the AEM standalone to control my turbo/engine, so in case if you break yours, let me know and we can work something out.
Old 12-19-09, 08:42 PM
Chambers45
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

I have a spare 95 SC400 ECU in good working condition. I took it out and replaced with the AEM standalone to control my turbo/engine, so in case if you break yours, let me know and we can work something out.
Ok, you have a PM.
Old 12-19-09, 08:47 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are so gay!!! Haha. Im kidding...man I love your car
Old 12-19-09, 09:02 PM
Chambers45
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

So I was able to pop the covers off, and found a lot of corrosion, but it also seemed similar to the aftermath of a capacitor blowing. I'm unsure, but the ECU looks shot. After trying to dissemble this ECU, I can understand why people have not attempted to modify them, they are a pain in the ars.
I never got a chance to see how hard it would be to re-pin the ECU because there were another two phillips head screws, other than the obvious one holding the board on that just stripped out right away, so it may still be possible, but it looks way easier to just get a new ECU.

Here are a set of pics and some descriptions of each:

First, the thing that got me started on this, the broken pin:

Top cover:

Board under the top cover:

Underside of the bottom cover, when the pic was taken I had already cleaned out a lot of "corrosion:"

Board under the bottom cover, "corrosion" over it:

The bottom board was secured with phillips head screws that were filled in with solder, but a pair of small pliers broke them loose quite easily:

Upon replacing this screw, I caught a resistor, it ripped the top layer of the board, so yea, this ECU is definitely done.

Thanks for looking!
Old 12-19-09, 11:37 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

It seems you had a whole bucket of water spilled on it. It's good to check if the floor area around the ECU got rusted or corroded. You got PM.