SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

anyone here changed the sparkplugs on a SC300 themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-02, 02:41 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone here changed the sparkplugs on a SC300 themselves?

I jsut went to try to do it seem like I got to take everything above where the sparkplugs sit to do this? Should I even try or jsut take it to someone to have them do it? I have change spark plug in Hondas before and I feel I am pretty mechincly inclinde to do work on cars.
Old 05-11-02, 05:38 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

You don't have to remove half of the intake manifold to change the plugs on a honda. The 2jz-ge intake manifold has to be unbolted at a few points in order to access the plugs. I haven't tried this yet but you will need a torque wrench to get those manifold bolts tightened back to spec. You will also probably need the gaskets that go on those seals as it is not recommended to reuse gaskets. Not to mention the lines that run all over those pieces. It probably is really not that hard if you know what you're doing. Just get the manual and take it slow. Or take it to someone who knows lexus.
Old 05-11-02, 07:00 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

Well I got a torque wrech, now I jsut need to find me a service manual.
Old 05-12-02, 09:14 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default not that hard

It is not that difficult to do. The hardest part being to disconnect the EGR line between the intake and firewall.
The intake uses metal gaskets that CAN be reused since they are not the crushable type and 2 or 3 layers. I would still recommend new ones, but it is not required. Torque wrench is extremely difficuly to use on the lower intake bolts, though not impossible. A flex joint must be used which will give false readings so be careful.
Otherwise a straight plug swap.
Since the intake will be off, clean the throttle body really good to remove the gunk that builds up which the SC cars are prone to have.
Do use quality plugs such as Denso /NGK Iridiums. I have done about 25-30 of these plug changes, no real surprises, just a little elbow grease and time.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-12-02 at 09:16 AM.