SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cheapest Working Turbo Setups ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 10:53 PM
snook
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest Working Turbo Setups ?

Wondering who here has put together or built their own turbo setup for the SC 300 and how much it cost them broken out by piece.
Old 12-22-09, 09:12 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was just over $1600, but dont recall the cost of each part, but give me a little while and I will dig through all my PM's and emails and get a list..

I do remember another member spending less than that, but a majority of the parts I used are brand new.
Old 12-22-09, 09:30 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

The cost really depends on the brands and how much boost you'll run.
Old 12-22-09, 09:34 AM
snook
Racer

Im going to run the minimal boost so that I don't have to change the headgasket or fuel system, Im also keeping the stock exhaust with it.
I basically need a manifold, turbo, downpipe, wastegate, and some sort of fuel control
oil feed/return lines...unless there's something else Im forgetting

have greddy bov,, I have the supra tt intercooler and piping,
Old 12-22-09, 10:38 AM
tcrow31
Pole Position

If your going that basic then a SAFC2 will work for fuel managment. I bought mine used for $125.00.
Old 12-22-09, 10:45 AM
snook
Racer

cool yeah im going as basic as possible, I just want the turbo effect not a lot of hp from it.

I also dont want to replace my clutch the first week since its fairly new thats why Im going for low boost too

Can you guys think of any other parts Ill need? It seems like to me the hardest part is doing the oil feed/return lines
Old 12-22-09, 11:57 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

the oil return line is simple, just take your time doing it and take your time standing up once its finished cause your back may hurt a little..also be sure to keep it greased up really nice and dont push hard, let the drill do the work.

basic parts:

turbo
manifold
WG with dump tube
downpipe
intercooler with pipes (side mount is fine)
t-bolt clamps
bov
various sized vacuum lines
nut/bolt variety pack/box (trust me you will need it)
safc-2 (I recommend it cause you can store 2 different maps, and its easy to use)
oil feed and return lines (get the return flange from mark{98mkiv** over at clubna-t)
rtv silicone/turbo flange gasket
boost gauge
and last but not least and very important, wideband o2 sensor.

Last edited by turbodremz; 12-22-09 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 01:21 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

depends on what you want..
the rule of thumb is..

CHEAP. FAST. RELIABLE

you can pick 2 but you cant have all 3.
Old 12-22-09, 02:09 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eliteskill
depends on what you want..
the rule of thumb is..

CHEAP. FAST. RELIABLE

you can pick 2 but you cant have all 3.
not true at all..I have all 3, and its used daily. Spent less than $2k, that includes a turbo that was new(turbonetics), safc-2, wideband, blah blah blah..and if it wasnt for the stock auto trans, I wouldnt have a problem running more than 10psi.

Cheap: spent less than $2k on entire kit, including fuel control/gauges

Fast: I dont think twice anymore when next to a GTO/SVT/RX8/Etc..est. mid 13's down the 1320..brakes tires loose first and second gear with the stock auto

Reliable: DD, now more than 1k miles since kit has been installed, was babied for the first 500 miles, but since then have been a bit more aggressive with it
Old 12-22-09, 02:16 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Cheap. Fast. Reliable quote

"cheap & reliable is not fast
fast & cheap is not reliable
reliable and fast is not cheap"
**Lexus**

haha definetly heard that ad before^ but turbodremz seems to definetly have done it, so props man
Old 12-22-09, 02:21 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

yea its a common quote among turbo charged vehicles. (but i think its a engineering term)

but it all goes with opinion on what you think is FAST and how CHEAP is CHEAP. that varies from guy to guy.. some people are happy with 300hp some think 500hp is their fast point. im kinda a happy median with 400whp for DD.

turbodremz has a nice setup i worry about that auto trans but if its holding im happy for you bro. I was going NA-T my auto before but i wanted to pull higher hp down the line and didnt want to deal with tranny swapping so i just went straight to find a V160.

Last edited by eliteskill; 12-22-09 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 02:31 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

I'm goin through my gte twins to single build, and went a pretty cheap route. All new unless noted.

Turbo is BEP s366 =$999 shipped

WG Tial 44 10psi spring= $320 shipped.

Flea bay manifold T4 twin scroll used =$100 Shipped

Oil feed line= $14 shipped

Oil Return= $34 custom made

Oil fittings for the turbo and block total about $40

The only thing that was "expensive" and, in my opinion, overpriced was the fabrication of a dp and intercooler piping which will be around $650.

Thats a little over 2k, but remember some things were "sacrificed". Such as a name brand manifold. Also this doesn't include misc bolts and stuff like coolant, and rtv silicon gaskets. My goal was to have it below 2k, but I had to go custom dp and charge pipe since my kit was pieced together.

I still need to buy some kind of tuning device, but will probably be a map ecu or greddy emanage blue which can be readily found around 400 new.

Last edited by lemmiewink; 12-22-09 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-22-09, 08:16 PM
snook
Racer

650 for a downpipe and intercooler piping to be made?
You are getting ripped off they have IC piping kits you could figure most of it out with for 150 shipped and the downpipe should be no more than 100 for a shop to make, the most expensive part will be the flanges and clamps depending on what your turbo hotside has
Old 12-22-09, 08:49 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by snook
650 for a downpipe and intercooler piping to be made?
You are getting ripped off they have IC piping kits you could figure most of it out with for 150 shipped and the downpipe should be no more than 100 for a shop to make, the most expensive part will be the flanges and clamps depending on what your turbo hotside has
I've been to several shops and thats the area what they quoted me. These are performance shops, tig welding everything. Its not a mexi muffler shop where they mig using spare scrap metal. They are pricey I will agree, but I think the craftmanship will help offset the price, even if it is quite high.
Old 12-22-09, 10:01 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

actually snook, $5-600 for custom fabricated parts like that sounds right...you need to factor in the amount of time for measuring, cutting, measuring, test fitting, welding, re-fitting, any changes that need to be made, and then final prep plus installation..and thats just the labor side..that wont include the fabricators pay, plus materials.

but if you piece your kit together correctly and shop wisely, you wont need parts fabricated..you can piece together a "bolt on" kit, just take your time when looking for parts, and dont just settle with what comes along at first sight.

Quick Reply: Cheapest Working Turbo Setups ?