SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Carbon Fiber Body Parts, How Much Weight Reduction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 06:38 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Body Parts, How Much Weight Reduction?

Say I replaced my hood, trunk, both doors, and both fenders with carbon fiber parts, how much weight reduction are we talking about? Has anyone done who to their sc300's or 400's?
Old 12-23-09, 07:13 PM
wooziewest
Driver

Ive read a thread like this on here before.

I think the stock hood is like 80lbs, Cf is like 20lbs

Trunk, I have no idea. Prob 20-40lbs reduced

Doors drop like 100lbs from what Ive heard.

Fenders? why? Mabe 10lbs at most
Old 12-23-09, 09:01 PM
scfou
Pole Position

I think it'll be so much quicker. I can already feel the additional weight from another person in the car.
Old 12-23-09, 09:44 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

more horsepower will make your car feel lighter
Old 12-24-09, 01:39 AM
gambit4000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sueno2jz
more horsepower will make your car feel lighter
turning and braking are irrelevant
Old 12-24-09, 08:03 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for what you'd spend on some legit CF doors, you could make oodles more power... yes oodles.
Old 12-24-09, 08:12 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as i know fibreglass fenders save around 25kg, CF would be another 5kg max.
Old 12-24-09, 08:14 AM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by gambit4000
turning and braking are irrelevant
not saying that weight reduction is a waste of time but for a street car i dont think slapping on a bunch of carbon fiber is gonna turn our cars into a ferrari, but to each his own, also if you upgrade your brakes and suspension i think youll be fine, but again its my 2 penny's...
Old 12-24-09, 09:16 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

I think fenders are not worth changing,unless you dont want the dings that metal fenders can get.

I think weightloss can dramaticaly change the characteristics of driving a car. Its so much more fun.

I had an s13 that was down to 2200 lb's and it was a blast to drive(N/A),too bad it rusted through ,lol
Old 12-24-09, 10:06 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take my advice, from some who has replaced nearly every body panel on the car.

The hood will probably be the most you'll ever see in weight loss. The trunk isn't that much lighter than OEM. OEM fenders are already light, probably on the same weight as if not just slightly lighter than the Vertex FG fenders. Doors would probably save a lot of weight, but it'll come back once you add in the reinforcement bars and glass windows. Not to mention, whether or not the CF doors can support the weight. Also, if this is going to still be a street car, bad idea if you get t-boned.

I've stripped out all my sound deadening except the transmission tunnel, firewall, and undercarriage (maybe 20-30lbs) and no back seat.

On our cars, the most you can do without sacrificing real luxury is to just replace both seats with lighter manual seats and change out to a CF hood. The trunk after having done it, is not worth it. Not much weight is saved on the rear for the cost.
Old 12-24-09, 11:16 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexAnt
Take my advice, from some who has replaced nearly every body panel on the car.

The hood will probably be the most you'll ever see in weight loss. The trunk isn't that much lighter than OEM. OEM fenders are already light, probably on the same weight as if not just slightly lighter than the Vertex FG fenders. Doors would probably save a lot of weight, but it'll come back once you add in the reinforcement bars and glass windows. Not to mention, whether or not the CF doors can support the weight. Also, if this is going to still be a street car, bad idea if you get t-boned.

I've stripped out all my sound deadening except the transmission tunnel, firewall, and undercarriage (maybe 20-30lbs) and no back seat.

On our cars, the most you can do without sacrificing real luxury is to just replace both seats with lighter manual seats and change out to a CF hood. The trunk after having done it, is not worth it. Not much weight is saved on the rear for the cost.
i do not reccomend having cf doors if this is a street car if u get t-boned u and ur passenger are done. the reason y i say that is because when a certian car is hit the chassis is designed to collapse a certian way. and when u replace oem stuff with jdm tyte stuff ur car door panels and others are made to take the hits from certian enegry. ill explain the rest later
Old 12-24-09, 12:02 PM
scfou
Pole Position

I don't think replacing all fiberglass parts make more horsepower. It's just lighter and easier for the 1uz to pull off the line. You'll probably see an increased amount of hp but no more than what the original motor is rated at. Thanks to everyone for your opinions and knowledge about fiberglass body parts. I've made up my mind to just replace the hood but possibly the trunk too beacause I hate the fact that it doesn't stay up for long due to weight of the factory spoiler.
Old 12-24-09, 12:03 PM
Jacj3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

seibon CF doors if I'm correct are like $1500 not worth in on a street car unless you are running a full cage. But then all the weight you lost is right back, and also not at all safe.
Old 12-25-09, 12:36 AM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

if you swapped out OEM doors, I think you'd hear everything outside your car, correct me if I'm wrong but you're driving a "Luxury" coupe
Old 12-25-09, 12:02 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Real dry carbon parts save a ton of weight, the parts on the market are fiberglass with a layer of carbon for looks only. The fg parts do save some weight though.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Body Parts, How Much Weight Reduction?