SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Shopping for an aluminum radiator....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09, 07:58 AM
ImpactBlue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for an aluminum radiator....

My radiator is toast and I'm looking to upgrade to an all aluminum, 3 row, electric fan setup, as I will be going turbo at some point. I can't seem to find anything specifically for my SC300, but I am seeing a lot of 53mm Mishimoto this and Mizu that on the ebay for MKIII & IV Supras, and IS300's as well.

Does anyone have first hand experience on what works best with very little modification, or none at all? so far as welding new mounts and custom hosing for inlet/outlet positions. The Koyo and Fluidyne market is a little out of reach.

Please and thank you! Safe New Year's all.
Old 12-29-09, 08:24 AM
IonFeright
Lead Lap

I just picked up a Megan Racing aluminum radiator but I did have to have all four mounting points welded to fit. I stuck with the stock clutch fan for now tho.
Old 12-29-09, 08:38 AM
ImpactBlue
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IonFeright
I just picked up a Megan Racing aluminum radiator but I did have to have all four mounting points welded to fit. I stuck with the stock clutch fan for now tho.
What application was it? a universal fit or for another chassis? Thanks for your input.
Old 12-29-09, 08:53 AM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the mishimoto radiator for the mk4 supra tt. I had to do plenty of cutting and trimming of the stock fan shroud because I kept the stock fan clutch. Since you are going electrical fans then you won't have a problem. This is on a 1jzgte setup. The radiator hoses fit the same as stock. And the mounting was pretty much the same.
Old 12-29-09, 09:19 AM
IonFeright
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ImpactBlue
What application was it? a universal fit or for another chassis? Thanks for your input.
I got the Supra radiator after I was told it should drop right in but it wasnt even close.
Old 12-29-09, 09:27 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Griffin rad for a Supra TT and it basically droped right in. My battery tray is banged up so i had no clearance issues. The NA fan shroud also works but will need to be trimmed to fit the shorter Supra rad and you will have to come up with some sort of mounting for it at the top. Also if ur car is automatic Supra rads do not bring the plumbing for transmssion fluid to go through it so you will need an external transmission cooler to make it work
Old 12-29-09, 10:51 AM
ImpactBlue
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IonFeright
I got the Supra radiator after I was told it should drop right in but it wasnt even close.
Which Supra? Mark II, III, or IV?

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
I have a Griffin rad for a Supra TT and it basically droped right in. My battery tray is banged up so i had no clearance issues. The NA fan shroud also works but will need to be trimmed to fit the shorter Supra rad and you will have to come up with some sort of mounting for it at the top. Also if ur car is automatic Supra rads do not bring the plumbing for transmssion fluid to go through it so you will need an external transmission cooler to make it work
I have a 5 speed manual, so I hope this shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-29-09, 12:28 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

PMd ya ImpactBlue
Old 12-29-09, 02:24 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

I'm interested in a radiator as well. Which model did you say bolted right up?
Old 12-29-09, 02:41 PM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no Aluminum Radiators for our cars. You have to buy the MKIV Supra radiator which is from 93-98. I just bought the Fluidyne which is pricier than the others but I've done some research and it's a direct drop in with no modifications to battery tray, fan shroud, etc.
Old 03-07-10, 10:24 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wicked SC
There are no Aluminum Radiators for our cars. You have to buy the MKIV Supra radiator which is from 93-98. I just bought the Fluidyne which is pricier than the others but I've done some research and it's a direct drop in with no modifications to battery tray, fan shroud, etc.
Is the Fluidyne a more OEM type replacement with aftermarket name? or is it a true performance ALL ALUMINUM radiator? Just went NA-T...judging from what youve stated, Im hoping my search has ended.
Old 03-07-10, 10:32 PM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ashtray
Is the Fluidyne a more OEM type replacement with aftermarket name? or is it a true performance ALL ALUMINUM radiator? Just went NA-T...judging from what youve stated, Im hoping my search has ended.
It's a true All Aluminum performance radiator...Also, we just attended the Titan Motorsports Grand Opening yesterday in Orlando and they had some great giveaway raffles and username on CL Punky ended up winning a Brand new Fluidyne Aluminum radiator. They retail for $465-$485 so shoot him a reasonable offer and he might sell it to you...I don't think he's going to use it. Good luck!
Old 03-07-10, 10:40 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

K great. I pm'ed him. Thanks for the input! If not a Fluidyne..what else is out there thats good performance wise?
Old 03-07-10, 11:44 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

just get a koyo thats what i just got and its frekkin awesome!
Old 03-08-10, 08:19 AM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ashtray
K great. I pm'ed him. Thanks for the input! If not a Fluidyne..what else is out there thats good performance wise?
Koyo or Griffin are good also....