SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

electric fan=ice cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 02:30 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric fan=ice cold

Today was probably the coldest morning 30% since i had my electric fan.i had new radiator hoses,coolant flushed and switched over to toyota red stuff this past summer.anyway this morning i let the car warm up before i left to get my NEW EXHAUST.on the way to the shop the temperature gauge was at the 1st marking from the bottom no big deal but when i turned the heat up i noticed the gauge dropped all the way down it was not registering i thought something was broken(here we go again)i pulled over to check and everything looked fine.i shut the heat off and the needle started to register again back to 1 marking up from the bottom.usually in the summer months it is almost at the halfway point.have anyone have this problem with their car running cold and is it a problem.i almost wanted to unplug the fan to see if the temperature would increase.should i be concerned or is this what electric fans do especially on a cold morning.i will have to wait until i get my car back since the exhaust job was not finished.let me know what you guys think.
Old 12-30-09, 02:39 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by matrixgts
Today was probably the coldest morning 30% since i had my electric fan.i had new radiator hoses,coolant flushed and switched over to toyota red stuff this past summer.anyway this morning i let the car warm up before i left to get my NEW EXHAUST.on the way to the shop the temperature gauge was at the 1st marking from the bottom no big deal but when i turned the heat up i noticed the gauge dropped all the way down it was not registering i thought something was broken(here we go again)i pulled over to check and everything looked fine.i shut the heat off and the needle started to register again back to 1 marking up from the bottom.usually in the summer months it is almost at the halfway point.have anyone have this problem with their car running cold and is it a problem.i almost wanted to unplug the fan to see if the temperature would increase.should i be concerned or is this what electric fans do especially on a cold morning.i will have to wait until i get my car back since the exhaust job was not finished.let me know what you guys think.
did you replace the thermostat at the same time you did the other work, it could be stuck open.... also when you turned the heater on was it hot or did it feel like it wasnt warming up...
Old 12-30-09, 02:46 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sueno2jz
did you replace the thermostat at the same time you did the other work, it could be stuck open.... also when you turned the heater on was it hot or did it feel like it wasnt warming up...
the thermostat was replaced.the car was not cold but i felt it needed to be warmer.the temp was set to 70 so i turned it up and usually i would feel the warmer air instantly.the temp gauge was registering but very low.
Old 12-31-09, 12:19 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your fan powered of ignition or temp switch?
Old 12-31-09, 06:43 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

sounds like a thermostat issue.
Old 12-31-09, 06:48 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that's a thermostat or gauge issue. If the thermostat was working, you could have a hurricane blowing through your radiator and the car would still warm up.
Old 12-31-09, 03:47 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Is your fan powered of ignition or temp switch?
it's ignition powered fonz
Old 12-31-09, 04:01 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

got car from the shop today' headers through muffs all new baby.who ever said these cars was a money pit was right.1100 after ordering parts and having it installed with custom piping.and something else always pop up or i want something done.temp gauge ran warmer today but it was also a little warmer.may get new thermostat if it gets outta control.but first i need to figure why i'm hearing vibrating noise after exhaust install(i think header is vibrating on engine mount piece)always something.