SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I need you guys to take a look at my oil drain pan.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-10, 02:43 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need you guys to take a look at my oil drain pan.

As I was pouring my oil to another container from my drain pan, I noticed this substance accumulating by where the spout was (which was where the oil was draining to). It looks kind of white. I have a picture so you guys can see... This **** has me a bit worried.

Also is it ok if you put the screw from under the car without a washer? When I was taking it off I noticed that it did not have a washer, which I thought was weird because I thought it had one. I put it back without a washer and when I was draining the oil I noticed that the washer fell into the oil pan. I don't know how it got in there because I didn't drop the screw in...

EDIT: The flash is unimportant. The white substance can be easily seen on top of the picture to the right. I'm referring to to the washer that goes with the screw to hold the oil underneath the car. The washer fell into the oil drain pan, but I did not notice, so I simply put the screw back in without a washer. As I was draining my oil later, I saw the washer in the pan.

Last edited by MarcusMIA; 01-01-10 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-01-10, 02:50 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there are 2 things wrong with this post...1 the flash is killing whatever "white" substance your referring to...and second, what "screw" from underneath the car did you find that didnt have a washer, that you found, that you didnt know was there appeared where?

crop the picture down to show exactly what your talking about and clarify the "screw" and "washer" ordeal..
Old 01-01-10, 02:51 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont have a waher on mine and no leaks ever from around it. I believe its torqued around 15-20 pounds.
Old 01-01-10, 03:18 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

You should be able to see it well now.
Old 01-01-10, 04:08 PM
bjf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you sure that wasnt something that was in there before. it looks like there is something on the lip of the pan also.
Old 01-01-10, 04:55 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Probably a little coolant got in your oil.
Old 01-01-10, 05:20 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

IDK about the white stuff, could be residue from moisture build up from a bad PCV valve. Could also be a blown head gasket, but i highly doubt that.

As for the washer, i would put a new one on there. I work at a toyota dealer and i've seen a few customers come back after an oil change and complain of oil stains on their garage floor. It will leak a little, but not significantly.
Old 01-01-10, 08:17 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Reminds me of the gunk you get from burnt antifreeze. Has your car even been "over heated"?

Just a wild thought.
Old 01-01-10, 09:15 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Coolant was my guess... Could this be a potentially serious problem?
Old 01-01-10, 09:31 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

I need you guys to take a look at my oil drain pan.
Fine, but I ain't looking at your tailpipe.
Old 01-01-10, 11:28 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

that washer probably was stuck to the bottom of the oil pan and finally fell off.you can buy packs of those at the auto store for pennies.or go to the lex store and pay 2 bucks for it when you buy a new oil filter.that's the last time i buy one from their.
Old 01-02-10, 03:33 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Or maybe it's just decomposed oil in the form of water?
Old 01-03-10, 09:30 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Okay okay this thread is bothering the crap out of me. I haven't posted in the SC section for months now I think this thread brought me back lol. First thing, there is NOT supposed to be a washer on the drain pan at all ,but a plastic composite gasket. Here is a link of what is should look like. (The one on the right is a new drain plug gasket the other is from the factory.) http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/atta...-rswasher1.jpg The part # is 90430-12082 Second, it is called a oil drain bolt not a screw cause that sounds rigged up. Do you add any kind of oil cleaner to the motor? This could be built up deposits that could have been loosened up. In the usual case this would be a coolant issue ,but most of the oil would be this milky substance. Check the oil cap on top of the valve cover and see if it has that substance under the cap. If you do you could have a possible head gasket issue. If it has over heated before that could have done the motor in. These motors are not known for popping head gaskets unless the owner did not take care of the vehicle and it over heated. If you had some left over fluid in the pan that could have mixed with the oil and caused some weird color to show up. Your best bet is when you do the next oil change see if that milky substance comes back again. If it does you need to do a compression and leak down test to see if you have a issue. Get that drain plug gasket cause your oil pan will start to leak. Good luck.
Old 01-03-10, 11:25 AM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Okay okay this thread is bothering the crap out of me. I haven't posted in the SC section for months now I think this thread brought me back lol. First thing, there is NOT supposed to be a washer on the drain pan at all ,but a plastic composite gasket. Here is a link of what is should look like. (The one on the right is a new drain plug gasket the other is from the factory.) http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/atta...-rswasher1.jpg The part # is 90430-12082 Second, it is called a oil drain bolt not a screw cause that sounds rigged up. Do you add any kind of oil cleaner to the motor? This could be built up deposits that could have been loosened up. In the usual case this would be a coolant issue ,but most of the oil would be this milky substance. Check the oil cap on top of the valve cover and see if it has that substance under the cap. If you do you could have a possible head gasket issue. If it has over heated before that could have done the motor in. These motors are not known for popping head gaskets unless the owner did not take care of the vehicle and it over heated. If you had some left over fluid in the pan that could have mixed with the oil and caused some weird color to show up. Your best bet is when you do the next oil change see if that milky substance comes back again. If it does you need to do a compression and leak down test to see if you have a issue. Get that drain plug gasket cause your oil pan will start to leak. Good luck.
Game. Thank you.