SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Highest Quality KRYPTON/XENON Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-02, 04:22 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The o-ring is a rubber seal. If he's talking about the entire base, that's one fixed fiberglass piece. You'd have to destroy the bulb to seperate it from the base.
Old 05-16-02, 05:39 PM
SCV8
Instructor

PIAA makes some decent bulb replacements.
Old 05-16-02, 06:30 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SCV8
PIAA makes some decent bulb replacements.
Cough!... http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/bulbs/superwhites/
Old 05-17-02, 02:03 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Notice that guy sells competitive products? Every manufacture (even the ones that that guy sells) has the same bullshiat claims as PIAA.

I have owned many sets of bulbs in the past. The "no-namers" suck period. The $10-$30 you save isn't worth it...people who buy these will learn when they burn up a $300 harness or jack up a $300 headlamp housing...

The "big brands" like PIAA, Raybrig, Vestec, Koito, etc. all work pretty good. I've seen the some JDM PIAA's Plasmas in different cars and they were WAY brighter than any other non-upped wattage bulb I've ever seen.

All the PIAA's I've owned have worked flawlessly....

Last edited by Manaray; 05-17-02 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-17-02, 04:37 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
The o-ring is a rubber seal. If he's talking about the entire base, that's one fixed fiberglass piece. You'd have to destroy the bulb to seperate it from the base.
No, I'm talking about the rubber seal. The 9005 composite base is actually skinnier than the 9006. So if you were to just swap bulbs, there would be a moisture problem since it doesn't seal in the housing. But if you take the 9006 o-ring and roll it on top of the 9005 bulb housing, you will have a good air tight seal. The locking giudes are slightly different, but they still fit with careful installation and no modification. Going this route means nothing has to be cut spliced or re-wired. Its actually allot simpler than it sounds.
Old 05-19-02, 12:33 AM
nitecow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well well, I've recieved my lights today and for some reason I got home and they were already opened by one of my roommates. So I don't quite know what i'm going to do with them now that it will be harder to sell "USED" lights. But overall I think there was a HUGE difference in the brights (but you can't tell from the picture). You can see a big difference in the low-beam picture (the first one) but the high beam ones are very very bright. Back to the low beams, I do want to say the stock halogens are brighter but the new Krypton ones are definatly cooler. So it's really a tradeoff, "Coolness"/safety. What do you guys think? Personally I like the change and am not dis satisfied with the quality, but then again back to what godfather said, $300 harness would make me unhappy. I do like them, but I have nothing to compare it to really besides the crappy "Cool Blue" I had in my last car. So even though I'm happy, doesn't mean it's actually good. Also I read the post about the blue license plate lights, what about the blue washer LED things also? I can't decide if I want to do those.. It almost reminds me of high school (everyone did that at the one I attended).. Anyway.. Here's some pics and voice your opinion

Also if you couldn't tell, the one on the drivers side is the one with the new bulbs from the origional post. Also, the little lights also in the low beams, what size are they? 9006 also? After listening to Keith... Would it be a smart thing to do 9005 (high beams) in all 6 lights? Would that do any damage or is that just not necessairy (or just crazy)?
Attached Thumbnails Highest Quality KRYPTON/XENON Bulbs-dsc01095.jpg  

Last edited by nitecow; 05-19-02 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-19-02, 12:34 AM
nitecow
Driver School Candidate

One More...
Attached Thumbnails Highest Quality KRYPTON/XENON Bulbs-dsc01097.jpg  
Old 05-19-02, 01:02 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Your OEM Koito/Sylvania bulbs are definitely bright than the Show Offs. Personally, I prefer the whitest, brightest light to anything with color. The presence of any color be it yellow or blue always diminishes brightness from pure white light. It's up to you what you want to do, but I'd suggest you give Silverstars a try before settling with anything.

Didn't the Show Off ad also say these are 85-watt bulbs? 85 watts should be a helluva lot brighter than that. These Show Offs look to be 40-45 watts. Remember that the OEM bulbs are only 51 watts and are the cheap $9 model bulbs. They can't be held to the same standards as aftermarket bulbs.

I'll snap a pic of my Silverstars when I get a chance. They are a lot brighter, of course pictures aren't always accurate. If you have Adobe Photoshop 5.x or later, I suggest you download the Kodak or Pantone color management plug-ins. It helps out with accuracy.
Old 05-19-02, 01:23 AM
nitecow
Driver School Candidate

It's listed as 100/80w

I'd be very interested to see yours, but it kinda sucks now because this $40 is completely down the drain because they are open. But if it is a significant improvement over these, I'll try those out too but I'd love to see your pics. Getting those plugins for photoshop as we speak.

Thanks for the info,
-Dan
Old 05-19-02, 02:00 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Betcha a lot of this stuff is made by the same company.. I can get Street Glow wholesale so I buy their bulbs.. they work great.
Old 05-19-02, 08:08 AM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Default No No No

Nitecow, don't get the blue led washers. I don't know about where you are from, but they are illegal here, and the cops like to pull people over for those. I've had some white ones on since December, just haven't hooked them up yet. I was thinking about doing them to the turn signal, I think that'll look pretty cool. I've even seen people hook them up to their alarm, so when the car is off and alarm is set, they blink. Also, every time I see one of those, when they run with their lowbeams, it's on a POS car, so I wouldn't want to give people that impression of your car if I were you.
Old 05-20-02, 03:26 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm...I'd make your room mate buy them. They have no business opening your packages period.

If those are 85W bulbs, they suck beyond belief! Like I said, no name bulbs SUCK. Period. Personally, I'd chuck them in the trash and just mark this up as a "lesson in modding".

If you don't want to take the cheap route, get some Silverstars (from AutoZone) or the Koito's (from Steve Ganz)...

If you want to get some REAL increase in lighting, get the $450 HID 4100K 9006 kit through my deal...real HID, real Philips, no "wannabe" crap, will out last any halogen...(check out my write up on it real soon)

And I think the "little light" you're talking about is a 194 Wedge Bulb...

Anyone interested in Raybrig or PIAA 194 weggies? If so, let me know via PM, I have a hook up...
Old 05-20-02, 08:00 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so the verdict is that with a O-ring I can get the highbeams to fit into a low beam socket? Waht is the wattage difference between the low beam and the high beam?
Old 05-20-02, 02:04 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Nitecow, email me.

bizzyseller@hotmail.com
Old 05-21-02, 04:19 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by VSsc400
so the verdict is that with a O-ring I can get the highbeams to fit into a low beam socket? Waht is the wattage difference between the low beam and the high beam?
The high beams will fit w/o the o-ring, but moisture will get in. As for the wattage, every bulb is different, but most are around 55/65W respectively.

Quick Reply: Highest Quality KRYPTON/XENON Bulbs