Highest Quality KRYPTON/XENON Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-02, 03:37 AM
nitecow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highest Quality KRYPTON/XENON Bulbs [NEW PIC COMAPARISON]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...578597&r=0&t=0

I have a 96 SC400 and was looking for a little upgrade. I bought some differnt ones for my previous car (96 Eclipse GS-T) that I thought looked good from the advertisement but really didn't impress me when I put them in. So I was asking on what you guys thought about the one up above (the link) and also what kind of improvement it really is (based on whatever expierence you may have with these products). I can't seem to find a good crediable comparison source.

Thanks alot for your input,

-Dan

Last edited by nitecow; 05-19-02 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-14-02, 12:14 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

What bulbs did you use before?

The Xenon and Krypton bulbs have been tested and actually perform worse than halogens. However, since I drive mostly in the city, I don't need the extra light and perfer the bluish light on the road. It is more pleasing to my eyes. I have noticed that I can see a bit more infront of me using Xenons, but when the road gets wet then the blue colour just gets absorbed by the road, which makes it pretty dangerous.

If you want to have a nice look and not sacrifice the light output, get Sylivana (sp?) Silver Stars. When you look at them head on, then you see a bluish tint. However the output of light on the ground is totally halogen. They output more than regular halogens as well.

If you want to upgrade those lights even more. Instead of purchasing 9006 low beams, purchase four 9005 high beam bulbs. Stick a pair in the highbeam sockets, and modify the other pair of 9005's to fit in your lowbeam socket. This will increase the output by a whole lot! (I speak from experience) If you are not familiar with the 9006-9005 conversion I can post instructions later.

Michael
Old 05-14-02, 02:56 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually most halogen bulbs today have some sort of mixture of kryton, argon, or xenon. It helps with bulb endurance by dampening tungsten evaporation. Doesn't do anything more than that though. Lots of bulb vendors like to capitalize on the word 'xenon' by saying it is an "HID bulb upgrade" so to speak. The xenon used in halogens is a buffer. The xenon used in gas discharge bulbs are active ingredients (fuel so to speak). Whiter light in halogen is obtained by burning more tungsten and hotter, and by coating the bulb in a blue film as shown.

I've never heard of a bulb company named "Show Off", have you? That should speak enough in itself. If you want brightness with halogens, get a Sylvania Silverstar 9005 bulb, cut the tabs in the socket, and cut the short tab on the rim and insert it into your 9006 headlight socket. That's truly as good as halogen gets.

For future reference, take note that 98% of the lighting sold on ebay is falsely advertised and downright bull*****. That's right, 98%. Countless number of pictures and comparisons used are also stolen or altered images. I know quite a bit about audio systems too and there is a lot of BS circulating around that on ebay too. IMO, ebay has become a festering pool of the lowest scum on the planet. You can only really trust a seller on ebay if he isn't running multiple auctions at a time.

EDIT: Reading through this auction, there are a lot of BS statements they are making too.

Last edited by lex400sc; 05-14-02 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-14-02, 08:01 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lex400sc
That should speak enough in itself. If you want brightness with halogens, get a Sylvania Silverstar 9005 bulb, cut the tabs in the socket, and cut the short tab on the rim and insert it into your 9006 headlight socket. That's truly as good as halogen gets.
Ermmm... Didn't I say that?
:eek:
Old 05-14-02, 08:22 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Default Oops!!

Sorry, must have missed that...
Old 05-14-02, 09:20 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Its all good
You posted what I didn't as well!
The instructions!

The intentions are good! So its all good

Michael
Old 05-14-02, 10:45 PM
nitecow
Driver School Candidate

Great Information!

Unfortunatly based on some PM's from some users I bought those from the auction. But I think I'll go ahead and get the SilverStar and put the "showoff" ones back up for auction.

I'm semi new to all these different bulbs. So the Xenon/Krypton bulbs like the auction are still considered Halogen? And as for what your baseing the SilverStar's on, is it from like "Raw Performance" or the closeness to real HID systems? Or are those really the same thing.

Also referring to the origional post by me, the ones got for my eclipse were "Cool Blue" I believe. The performance could have been caused by a foggy/dingy headlight though (I currently have a thread going on how to fix that. [Headlight Cleaning Skill Level])

Thanks Again For the Info,

-Dan
Old 05-15-02, 01:57 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Koito's "WhiteBeam" (I think that's the name) is also nice. Steve Ganz has them in his SC (not the supra) and I it looks nice. Koito is also a OEM manufacturer so you know the quality is there. You can hit up Steve Ganz for a price (800-90-TOYOTA)
Old 05-15-02, 02:09 AM
nitecow
Driver School Candidate

I'll do that tommorow. Thanks Godfather...

-Dan
Old 05-15-02, 12:57 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Nitecow, before you return them, why not do a quick comparison? Just for fun. The Show Off bulbs are 85w, compared to Koito OEM 50w, and Silverstar's 55w. I don't know how much wattage the Whitebeam runs though. The higher wattage will be brighter, but will ultimately die quicker.
Old 05-15-02, 01:15 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rather than going through all of these compex procedures I think someone mentione that you can replace the low beams with high beams(of course you would need the low beam socket replaced with high beam socket). Anyone tried this method?
Old 05-15-02, 05:41 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Are you suggesting to cut the 9006 wiring harness, and splice in a 9005 harness? You could do that too. The method we were describing takes no more than 10 seconds per bulb to do though. All you need is wire cutters and four surgical snips.
Old 05-16-02, 04:10 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

NO need to cut anything; just get a set of old 9006 O-rings off an old bulb and roll them onto the 9005 bulb (it should go exactly on top of the 9005 o-ring. Now the 9005 bulb will seal properly in the 9006 housing. There is a plastic tab that prevents the 9006 wiring harness from attaching to the 9005 bulb. This will naturally break off when you go to connect the plug, or you can help it a little .

Swap should only take 5 min to do (frigging big battery gets in the way).

Improvement is night and day; especially for those w/ tinted winshields.

Keith
Old 05-16-02, 02:28 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Question

I don't follow. You're saying swap the o-rings on the 9005 and 9006? They are just rubber seals, how does that resolve the issue of the incompatible sockets and wiring harnesses? You'd have to cut/break something to make them fit.
Old 05-16-02, 03:09 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I don't think you can swap the o rings?....
Aren't they just one big piece along with the base of the light?

Quick Reply: Highest Quality KRYPTON/XENON Bulbs