SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

'96 FogLight Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 02:41 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnut003
The relay should be fine.. it has electricity running through it...

Also did you wire it like written in the first post, OR the way I described it? on this page?

My way allows the fog lamps to be on with the marker lights and ALSO autoturn off when you turn the car off and LEAVING the switch on.
My parking lights light up when I disarm or arm the alarm system. So if I wire up my fogs to that fuse, does that mean they will flash with the parking lights? I have HID fogs I don't want them to flash like that
Old 01-30-10, 02:55 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

The relay should be fine.. it has electricity running through it...

Also did you wire it like written in the first post, OR the way I described it? on this page?

My way allows the fog lamps to be on with the marker lights and ALSO autoturn off when you turn the car off and LEAVING the switch on.
I wired it up the way the OP did. It's a miracle I got that to work. I suck at this kinda stuff so his way although not as practical as yours seemed easier to do.

That's why I asked about the relay being warm/hot, wanted to make sure I didn't do anything wrong.

I may even end up just going back to normal in my fear of burning my car to the ground. haha
Old 01-30-10, 04:51 PM
gunnut003
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc-driver
my parking lights light up when i disarm or arm the alarm system. So if i wire up my fogs to that fuse, does that mean they will flash with the parking lights? I have hid fogs i don't want them to flash like that

see below for update

Last edited by gunnut003; 01-31-10 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-31-10, 05:20 PM
gunnut003
Driver School Candidate

yes, they light up...I have regular fogs, so I can live with it.. Besides, I would rather have them auto-shut off, than risk having my battery drain....
SEE BELOW

******UPDATE********

IF the Fog lights are OFF from the steering wheel switch, they WILL NOT flash with the parking lights...

THey only flash with the parking lights if you leave the foglight on, and they "auto shut-off" with the switch still in the on position.
Old 03-04-10, 08:11 PM
GEZUP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '99 FogLight Mod

Great DIY pics and write up SC300Star!
I have a 99 SC300. It works perfect! Even with the park lights off and the car off...
For those of you that are on the "huskier side" like myself, be sure to un screw the black kick panel under the steering column to get to this relay. I tried the other night and only saw the lower park light relay and assumed it was the right one... I got under there again tonight - and found the correct relay.
By the way - I have 4300k HID's in the fogs and it works with no issues.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...light-mod.html
Old 03-05-10, 02:31 AM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

My parking lights light up when I disarm or arm the alarm system. So if I wire up my fogs to that fuse, does that mean they will flash with the parking lights? I have HID fogs I don't want them to flash like that
Will this hurt the HID system in anyway, because i was gonna switch to the second version but if this isnt good for HID's ill just remember to switch em off.

And if they flash with the fog swich on and they auto shut off. you would physically have to turn them off for them not to which is the same as the first setup. turning them off. I like the second setup i just dont want to mess up my HID's
Old 03-05-10, 02:48 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SpiderN9NE
Will this hurt the HID system in anyway, because i was gonna switch to the second version but if this isnt good for HID's ill just remember to switch em off.

And if they flash with the fog swich on and they auto shut off. you would physically have to turn them off for them not to which is the same as the first setup. turning them off. I like the second setup i just dont want to mess up my HID's
Best thing I can think of is to have a separate relay so that the power to the fog lights cuts off when you shut off the ignition power. Then they will always be off when the ignition is off, and this wouldn't affect anything else.
Old 06-15-10, 05:04 PM
Forte EXE
Pole Position

I just tried to do this and I ran into a problem.

The 15 fuse that needed the fuse tap wouldnt go back into place with the fuse tap on, i tried for about 2 hours and no luck. how did you guys do it? I have a 98 by the way if that matters.
Old 06-15-10, 10:28 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, you can still turn it off. The fog lights become completely independent from the low beams. You can turn on and off whenever you want.

I've been wanting a way so that the fog lights DO NOT turn off when the high beams turn ON. There were a couple threads a while ago pertaining to just this subject but nobody figured out a way to do this. I do a lot of dark canyon driving where there are no lights and its pitch black. It would be nice to have a little bit more light.
Uhmmm.... the main reason nobody does this isn't so much because no one has figured it out (it is totally do-able), it's more that it's totally illegal in most states. Definitely in CA!
Old 06-15-10, 10:43 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do newer sc300/400 have an actual fog light switch on the dash? Or one at all?
Old 06-16-10, 07:16 AM
RED95sc
Pole Position

tried it but when i turn my headlights on the fogs go off

Last edited by RED95sc; 06-16-10 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-07-11, 11:38 AM
gunnut003
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by good2go
Uhmmm.... the main reason nobody does this isn't so much because no one has figured it out (it is totally do-able), it's more that it's totally illegal in most states. Definitely in CA!
Right. I think in most states, you can not have more than 4 forward lights on at one time.
Old 03-31-11, 01:40 PM
IntenseMX
Driver School Candidate

not same wiring but still good

Old 03-31-11, 02:12 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

always wanted to do this mod except for the fact that it wont turn off automatically.
Old 03-31-11, 02:24 PM
aEO 37
Pit Crew

I had made a custom harness for my 92 (97 conversion) and tapped the parking light as a 12v switch so that my fogs turn on as my parking light did also. I had HID on them and they flash every time I lock/ unlock the car and never had a problem with them for 1+ year.

Quick Reply: '96 FogLight Mod