SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: help me decide
get the high miles ge running put everything back together and do a r154 swap
57.14%
get a 1jzgte 5speed motor set and do the all the wireing your self and use or sell what you have
42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

what should i do?my car is dead...starting to give up! "poll inside"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 11:12 AM

Default what should i do?my car is dead...starting to give up! "poll inside"

as of right now my 92sc300 is dead. i took the na-t rout took me some time and work because i made a ffim. 3 days after i finished my na-t my head gasket took a dump on me while in process of changing the hg i broke/ stripped some headbolts. i have over 200k on my ge . so here is the problem " i don't trust my engine/car" the car has turned off on me while driving in the past when i was na. the car pulls hard now that i'm na but will it still be reliable if i change the hg? will something break latter on in the future? also to add to this im auto!=[ i want to go manual.

my na-t setup is:
holset h1e turbo
2jzgte upper intake manifold custom mounted to the lower ge runners "ffim"
xs manifold
xs downpipe
driftmotion 50mm wastegate
front mount intercooler/pipeing hot is ready for a single setup
oil feed/drain lines from atp turbo
safc 2
lokar throttle cable
aem ugeo
that's all i can remeber it is not that much. just a basic setup.

so right now I'm stuck with 2 options and i keep jumping back a forth and i cant make up my mind.

i'm on a 2500 dolor budget firm nothing more + all the stuf i have now if i can re-use or sell it.

1-do a minor rebuild to my 2jz ge get everything back on and working and do a 5speed swap and call it a day.

i'm guessing it will cost me like 500 to rebuild the engine then mybe another 1200-1500 to do a r154 swap but i will still be on my not trusted ge and only be on a safc with the stock auto ecu to tune

or

2-get a 1jzgte motor with a r154 trans. drop the swap in. but i will not have enuff$$ so i would have to do the wire harness my self its also will be my first swap and i will go by looking at info on forums. then get another 1jz manifold put my turbo on it. reuse my oil/feed lines put my safc on it. sell what i have left

im thinking that since a motor set is around 2000 i can get a new engine and a the tranny clutch flywheel bell houseing etc with in all together. but im not adding the stuff i can run into like car not starting or i did the harnness wrong and f***ked something up...

ps. the engine will come out of the car for the swap or for the rebuild but it will be come out either way.

help please me.

Last edited by djkevin510; 01-05-10 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-05-10, 12:55 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, option 1 will be significantly cheaper to do man. and if you've never done a swap before idk...the GE is quite reliable and it seems like you could get away with just fixing the head gasket and being back in business.
Old 01-05-10, 12:56 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stock GTE pistons 300 bucks brand new from toyota (prob cheapper depending on where u get them) and Eagle rods 450 from titan with arp everything and new seals with rebuild prob lookin at mabey 1100 depending on ur machine shop / builder and u will have a bottom end capable of making over 500hp with no problems i think that will more than solve any reliablity problems with ur GE engine bigger HG injectors and pump and you should be good to go
Old 01-05-10, 01:00 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

already got your front face intake, already have it all together, so just rebuild what you have to make it better, and drop in the 5 speed. drive into the night!
Old 01-05-10, 01:10 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fix it and boost it again. no point in a 1j swap when you still have a good GE that just needs some TLC..I know I'm shooting myself in the foot with the FFIM, but cheaper to rebuild and have a more solid engine in the end using a few aftermarket parts(pistons, HG, headstuds, etc.)

although with your budget you could still go with the 1J, order the single manifold and go with a single turbo 1J..but you dont know the mileage or history of it vs. rebuilding your engine.
Old 01-05-10, 01:16 PM
kanukem
Rookie

i say put everything back together and try to hold out for an aristo swap. when you boost, be prepared to blow your ****. if you rebuild, it'll come back stronger than ever. i'm sure if you've already heard but i wanna take a minute to remind you, "Cheap and reliable is not fast, fast and cheap is not reliable, reliable and fast is not cheap." with that said, no disrespect here. good luck with your build =]
Old 01-05-10, 02:52 PM

thanks everyone for the input I'm starting to lean over to rebuild my engine then... what can i do to the engine that does not include any hard core machine work.. what can i do my self

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-10, 03:00 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1jz that u can get a long block 1j for bout 700.00 and rebuild that and part out ur ge
Old 01-05-10, 03:04 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djkevin510
thanks everyone for the input I'm starting to lean over to rebuild my engine then... what can i do to the engine that does not include any hard core machine work.. what can i do my self
if youre just doing the top end, you can do that yourself. the only machine work there is to send off your head to get it inspected for cracks. take your time. and follow the torque sequences. im still wondering how you stripped the hardware for the heads.
Old 01-05-10, 04:02 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

2500 can buy you another SC
Old 01-05-10, 04:44 PM
Blurr
Driver

I don't know if $2500 will buy a sc in cali. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-05-10, 05:20 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shoot.. you can always pick up a second GE and swap that in. There are many ge's with low miles and you can inspect it before dropping it in. Way less then the rebuild can be lower mileage. Having your second GE block you can always build that for when you are ready for some serious power.

The R154 swap was about 1500.00 for mine.... but it's also a good process/wait to find all the parts and get it shipped in for the swap.
Old 01-05-10, 06:30 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

just fix it!
Old 01-05-10, 07:05 PM

ok im going to fix it and do the 5speed swap!
Old 01-05-10, 07:08 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djkevin510
ok im going to fix it and do the 5speed swap!
attaboy. Don't you ever think of 1jz'ing ever again! hahaha.

Quick Reply: what should i do?my car is dead...starting to give up! "poll inside"