SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Add it or not....What say You?
Don't add it, looks like rice!
58.49%
Makes the car look hot, add it!
41.51%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Add it or not....What say you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 10:51 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Have someone photoshop it on the bumper to get a real idea of the look.. This car has come along way.. I think it would look good..
Old 01-08-10, 10:55 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 24boosted

No offense intended, just replying to Killa HZ's comment that it looks the same to the IS300 stock vent. The material you posted, the pattern is similar to that of the Home Depot chicken mesh, that's all I was saying. No implications that your car is ghetto in any way.

It just doesn't look like the IS300 vent to me. It will look even more different when you're standing and looking down at your bumper that's closer to the ground. The IS300 vent will hide your intercooler where as the other vent will not.

No worries.... No offense taken. I understand your point. I have not found any vent that is like the IS, but those are plastic I do believe. It would be tough to make those fit, sizing, contour, etc.

I will tell you I am not interested in the chicken wire look.

Oh well, I am undecided. That is why I posted up this poll and am asking for your opinions.

Ryan
Old 01-08-10, 11:02 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i was wondering about the LFA grille. it looks really nice, and essentially it matters to only the owner of his/her car how they wish to mod it. but given the front profile pic of the car, I would say go ahead and install the grille. this way, it gives added protection down low as well as look almost "caged" in, giving that need to unleash demeanor. just my thoughts...
Old 01-08-10, 11:06 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Will you be driving it on the freeway much? Driving in areas with plenty of airborne debris? If so I'd put it on
Old 01-08-10, 11:18 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for it do the diamond mesh one in the first pic it should look real good. If you dont mind me asking where ur going to get that from ? I am getting a 97 front for my bday and I am going to mod the front and would like to use the same kinda material
Old 01-09-10, 09:34 AM
That-Guy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used the same stuff to make a grill on my origin bumper.... took forever, a lot of bending and forming, but it is by far my favorite mod (don't know why, i just love it) It helps keep the bumper rigid, more so than i ever expected. It cuts way down on the attention the intercooler recieves (if you're still looking for it you can see it, but glancing eyes don't pick up on it). And it looks great, almost makes the car seem like it has teeth or more of a face. Back when i ordered the material i spoke with alot of the manufacturers and what they recommended regarding the process of mounting it.... The best way as it turned out is to use about 1000 heavy duty zip ties (not ghetto trust me) You take a crapload of metal rings, or simply bent copper wire in my case... find a very powerful epoxy, and mount all the rings on the inside edge of the recessed flange on the openings in the bumper tilted at an angle so part of the ring is open to recieve the end of the ziptie... then you put your already cut and formed grill on (which by now looks like a cup that fits over the inside of the air openings) and zip tie it up in about 100 different places. The thing was phenomenally strong, i was amazed. It is going no where, and it will stop whatever comes flying at it... it also made the bumper resistant to flexing and bending on the larger scale. The zip tie method came out great, you can easily pick up the bumper and carry it by the grill, the mounts are so firm... and its not permanent, you can always snip the zipties, and you've left no marks anywhere around the painted surfaces of your bumper woohoo! I can get pics up if you'd like.

just my 2cents....

But defiantely go with the grill.
Old 01-09-10, 12:42 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I say go for it, it will look nice black
Old 01-09-10, 01:39 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Go for it do the diamond mesh one in the first pic it should look real good. If you dont mind me asking where ur going to get that from ? I am getting a 97 front for my bday and I am going to mod the front and would like to use the same kinda material
Custom Car Grills is the name of the company. You can Google them. I don't think I am supposed to post up a link, but they're easy to find.

Originally Posted by That-Guy
i used the same stuff to make a grill on my origin bumper.... took forever, a lot of bending and forming, but it is by far my favorite mod (don't know why, i just love it) It helps keep the bumper rigid, more so than i ever expected. It cuts way down on the attention the intercooler recieves (if you're still looking for it you can see it, but glancing eyes don't pick up on it). And it looks great, almost makes the car seem like it has teeth or more of a face. Back when i ordered the material i spoke with alot of the manufacturers and what they recommended regarding the process of mounting it.... The best way as it turned out is to use about 1000 heavy duty zip ties (not ghetto trust me) You take a crapload of metal rings, or simply bent copper wire in my case... find a very powerful epoxy, and mount all the rings on the inside edge of the recessed flange on the openings in the bumper tilted at an angle so part of the ring is open to recieve the end of the ziptie... then you put your already cut and formed grill on (which by now looks like a cup that fits over the inside of the air openings) and zip tie it up in about 100 different places. The thing was phenomenally strong, i was amazed. It is going no where, and it will stop whatever comes flying at it... it also made the bumper resistant to flexing and bending on the larger scale. The zip tie method came out great, you can easily pick up the bumper and carry it by the grill, the mounts are so firm... and its not permanent, you can always snip the zipties, and you've left no marks anywhere around the painted surfaces of your bumper woohoo! I can get pics up if you'd like.

just my 2cents....

But defiantely go with the grill.
I have a similar thought on the install, but slightly different. Please do send me the pics of your install.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 01-09-10, 03:53 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the fence, I would like it to have more depth too. Perhaps cut up a FJ crusier grille like on my Terdcel LOL (Free mod found laying on the side of the road) Did it as more of a joke since the car had no grille anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Add it or not....What say you?-dscf2167.jpg   Add it or not....What say you?-dscf2169.jpg   Add it or not....What say you?-dscf2170.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-10, 05:29 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i wouldn't add it...
i personally would want my FMIC to be poking out, blinding people with it's shininess
Old 01-09-10, 05:40 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I say noo!! if you want to "hide" the fmic, powder coat it, but I think it looks great as is
Old 01-09-10, 10:49 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

I don't want to hide it. I want to protect it.

Ryan
Old 01-10-10, 03:34 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

I think protecting it would make it look less of a beast that it is, but then i do understand your desire to protect it.
Old 01-10-10, 08:03 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Don't add it, keep the FMIC in kabaam-mode! A grill won't be protecting the fmic from anything.

As far as your front bumper, is that a molded on lip?
Old 01-10-10, 09:06 AM
ZachTriggs
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this help at all? IllRollers SC

Quick Reply: Add it or not....What say you?