SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Add it or not....What say You?
Don't add it, looks like rice!
58.49%
Makes the car look hot, add it!
41.51%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Add it or not....What say you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 09:54 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Add it or not....What say you?

Hay gang, I am nearing my project completion on my Twin Turbo SC400. I am torn as wheter or not to add this grill or not. I like the protection it affords my FMIC, and it matches the vents on my custom hood. I have posted a few pics for you to review and then post up your thoughts.

Here is a pic of my custom front bumper and the airdam showcasing the FMIC:

Here is a pic showing the cutouts for the air cooling vents in my hood:

Here is a pic of the matching powder coated diamond mesh grill I am thinking of adding to the front air dam to protect the FMIC:

Here is a pic of the non powder coated mesh to show how it really looks. The black one may be a flat mesh, which is not the one I am considering, I am considering this one but in high gloss black powder coat:

For a perspective, here is a pic of the LFA with the front diamond mesh grill. I am not trying to copy the LFA. In fact, I chose my custom hood venting long before the LFA pics came out. I have also been considering these mesh grills for over 2 years.

Please vote and give me your opinions.

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 01-08-10 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 09:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Yes.....but only if it is large mesh, which it appears to be.
Old 01-08-10, 09:59 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say do it, just keep it black.
Old 01-08-10, 09:59 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely no grill. Yes it will add more protection, but it makes the front end so much less clean looking. The FMIC is too beautiful to be covered. It's like having a supermodel wear a poncho. It just isn't right.
Old 01-08-10, 10:05 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vinh
Definitely no grill. Yes it will add more protection, but it makes the front end so much less clean looking. The FMIC is too beautiful to be covered. It's like having a supermodel wear a poncho. It just isn't right.
a super model in a poncho? id say thats a bit extreme...that FMIC is so big and shiny as is, the grill wont completely block it, and protection means alot more than looks in some cases. to each his own, lets see what else CL members vote for.
Old 01-08-10, 10:06 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

It's factory on IS300's, It'll be hawt.

Old 01-08-10, 10:07 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

It doesn't look like the IS300, it's got angles and bends on the fins. Looks like the same chicken wire sold at Home Depot just painted. Just get some of that stuff, put it on, if you don't like it take it off.
Old 01-08-10, 10:09 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

You might wanna pay attention to the ruler by the mesh in the OP, it's almost identical. Just slightly mishapen compared to the oblong mesh on the IS. The stuff he is looking at is thick and wide.
Old 01-08-10, 10:27 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

OP's material is similar to this and if you've ever handled this stuff, it doesn't look like the factory grill on the IS300. It's very thin and fine whereas the IS300 is nice and thick. I know what you mean by the size of the vents/holes but when it's installed it looks different.

Originally Posted by Killa-Hz
You might wanna pay attention to the ruler by the mesh in the OP, it's almost identical. Just slightly mishapen compared to the oblong mesh on the IS. The stuff he is looking at is thick and wide.
You can see the thickness of the OEM grill on the picture you posted.

Last edited by 24boosted; 01-08-10 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 10:30 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 24boosted
It doesn't look like the IS300, it's got angles and bends on the fins. Looks like the same chicken wire sold at Home Depot just painted. Just get some of that stuff, put it on, if you don't like it take it off.
Dude, this is so not Home Depot....Can you not see the diff? I am sorry if I seem a little insulted, and I am not bragging, but what on this project has been anywhere near Home Depot, or the crappy quality of chicken wire? This stuff is made from 0.051 thick high quality aluminum and is powder coated in a high gloss black finish. Instead of being made from plastic as so many OEM grills are, this one is metal. Being Aluminum, it is light weight and flexible enough for me to shape it to fit the contour of the bumper.

Originally Posted by Killa-Hz
Exactly, it is just slightly different to the IS grill in shape, but not mis shapened, just a slightly different pattern. Again, it matches my hood vent grill pattern.

Thanks Brian.

Ryan
Old 01-08-10, 10:34 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 24boosted

OP's material is similar to this and if you've ever handled this stuff, it doesn't look like the factory grill on the IS300. It's very thin and fine whereas the IS300 is nice and thick. I know what you mean by the size of the vents/holes but when it's installed it looks different.

You posted the wrong mesh grill. The one you posted up is flat, and it states it as such. The one I am considering is not flat at all. Do you have an actual sample of the non-flat mesh?

Ryan
Old 01-08-10, 10:44 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Here is another pic of the non-flat mesh that is not powder coated:

As you can see, it is definitely not flat.

Perhaps the powder coated picture is of the flat mesh. I do not like the flat mesh.

Ryan
Old 01-08-10, 10:47 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote no. I really think it looks so much better showing the fmic.
Old 01-08-10, 10:49 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

I agree it does look great showing the FMIC.

Ryan
Old 01-08-10, 10:50 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Dude, this is so not Home Depot....Can you not see the diff? I am sorry if I seem a little insulted, and I am not bragging, but what on this project has been anywhere near Home Depot
No offense intended, just replying to Killa HZ's comment that it looks the same to the IS300 stock vent. The material you posted, the pattern is similar to that of the Home Depot chicken mesh, that's all I was saying. No implications that your car is ghetto in any way.

It just doesn't look like the IS300 vent to me. It will look even more different when you're standing and looking down at your bumper that's closer to the ground. The IS300 vent will hide your intercooler where as the other grill will not.

I agree with you that it does not look flat.

Quick Reply: Add it or not....What say you?