SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sc400...what should I do with it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10, 09:13 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just has to still be a timing deal. What bolt sheared on the cam? so you had the complete front covers all pulled and doubled check both cams timing with the crank, right?
Old 01-14-10, 11:49 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cam bolt that holds the pulley to the camshaft broke. I put in an ls400 cam lined up the 4 dots (my mechanic buddy just messaged me back saying the timing is on spec) and it still wont fire. No CEL no nothing just a crank crank crank (a few more times and them puff white smoke out of the intake.
Old 01-15-10, 07:01 AM
skitso1080
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that reminds me of the days when i had a nitrous powered integra, after shooting nitrous it didn't want to start, and just cranked and cranked. i popped the hood and the spark plug wires were all jacked up. so i replaced them and it started. not saying it may be your issue, but i would check the wires and plugs, just to be safe.

if you want to unload your car, i might have money after tax return season.
Old 01-15-10, 07:36 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
The cam bolt that holds the pulley to the camshaft broke. I put in an ls400 cam lined up the 4 dots (my mechanic buddy just messaged me back saying the timing is on spec) and it still wont fire. No CEL no nothing just a crank crank crank (a few more times and them puff white smoke out of the intake.
Man it sure still sounds like a timing issue. Sounds like you did it right, my next thing was going to be to have you make sure they lined up marks and not the tabs on the timing gears but it sounds like they used the marks.

Dont suppose there is a chance you got a LS intake cam from the wrong side of the motor? I know its a long shot but you never know.
Old 01-15-10, 12:57 PM
sc400-97
Driver School Candidate

I'm assuming the bolt sheared while the engine was running? If so, is it possible that you had some piston to valve interference, and now have bent valves? Have you done a compression test on the cylinders on that side?
Old 01-15-10, 01:56 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

I was under the assumption I had a non interference motor. All marks are lined up as per the lexus manual. Plugs and wires are new, I get spark to all cylinders. Its seriously a mind eff (if ya know what I mean) I have built numerous cars and this one was un modded (engine wise). I got the cam off ebay and they had it marked as a "right intake cam (passenger side)" maybe it is the wrong cam I have no way of knowing. I actually just got a text from my mechanic saying upon startup there should be vaccuum and the car has no vaccuum upon start up. Maybe I should go to old school carborated motors...haha. if I can't figure it out soon I'm just going to offload the vehicle. So rims and ice or the sweet goodies for the remainder of the loan and just pic up another sc...scott u wanna sell uzztt's car? Lol
Old 01-15-10, 02:30 PM
sc400-97
Driver School Candidate

As far as I know the 1UZ is an interference motor. No vaccuum definetly sounds like you have valve/timing issues. A compression test will tell the story...
Old 01-17-10, 08:20 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

So since its at me mechanics shop i asked him if he compression checked it and he said it has compression. He thinks since it;s its just not turning over fast enough. Any way my semester starts in a week and i have 17 unit load, so i am probably just going to sell it for 1600 with the rims, audi tt hid retrofit, polished parts (intake [injen], throttle body, upper intake manifold, and valve covers), BG 2" lowering springs (supra) on stock supra struts and shocks and with the "custom" exhaust (if you can call it that). O if anyone is lookin to pick up a good chassis, solid car or have time to trouble shoot it, then help out a student pay off his car loan and start saving for another sc!!
Old 01-17-10, 08:38 AM
skitso1080
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
So since its at me mechanics shop i asked him if he compression checked it and he said it has compression. He thinks since it;s its just not turning over fast enough. Any way my semester starts in a week and i have 17 unit load, so i am probably just going to sell it for 1600 with the rims, audi tt hid retrofit, polished parts (intake [injen], throttle body, upper intake manifold, and valve covers), BG 2" lowering springs (supra) on stock supra struts and shocks and with the "custom" exhaust (if you can call it that). O if anyone is lookin to pick up a good chassis, solid car or have time to trouble shoot it, then help out a student pay off his car loan and start saving for another sc!!
where in cali are you ?
Old 01-17-10, 09:34 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

San Diego...The place where the JETS are gonna get rocked in a few hours.
Old 01-28-10, 08:03 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Ok, so i had a buyer for the car but he is lagging. So i may just keep it, I only owe 1200 on the car, should i still get rid of it and start fresh or buy a 1jz+r154 motorset and call it a day? I have been reading the 1jz is a super simple swap into an sc400! Unless scott has a v8 with a turbo kit on he would sell cheap...lol
Old 01-28-10, 08:38 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sell it to me... or convert it to a virtual reality, hook up electronics to the steering, pedals and put in a stick shift that's electronic to go with the setup. then do a big screen on the front maybe a wrap around and projectors on top of the car. if you have time and money, this is a stripped car for this use.. you get some actuators to hold the car off the ground that shakes and moves the car around with you in it for a very realistic experience..
Old 01-28-10, 08:39 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

do a carbureted crate motor!
Old 01-28-10, 09:04 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

HAHAHA...i like the virtural reality bit. You interested in the car? It has some goodies on it.
Old 01-28-10, 11:48 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

where in cali? i have a 2jzge from my car still ill throw that ish in it lol. or make it a drift machine. gutted caged... it will be put to good use thats for sure.

Quick Reply: sc400...what should I do with it?