SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

lowest possible on coils, with drivability...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 06:08 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our cars may LOOK awesome when they are on the ground, however, I advise that you be careful.

If you use your car for anything other than daily driving, i.e. road racing, autox, etc, you DO NOT want to go too low. The first problem being on our cars we need all of the suspension travel we can get! The other issue being that your driver side front tire will start to eat through the harness under hard cornering, which can cause all kinds of issues.

I originally had my car pretty low and although I had no problem with normal driving when I was racing the tire would rub on the fender liner and began to eat though the harness. Although I relocated my harness into the engine bay I still raised the entire car up to take advantage of the added suspension travel.

Josh
Old 01-15-10, 06:37 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRonTom3
a cup kit is a shock and spring kit where the shock is specifically tuned to work with the spring.
uh no, that would be a properly setup coilover. A coilover that has the damper tuned specifically for the spring rate would be ideal. Hard to believe, but it would give a decent ride quality while performing extremely well under hard driving/corners.

a cup kit is this:

It's an air cylinder that sits between the springs and upper mount. When driving, no air can be inside the cylinder allowing low ride height and the suspension be full-on coilover. When a driveway or speedbump comes along, air goes into the cylinder, pushing up the upper mount, essentially raising the car.

since the pictures are fairly large
full down; solely on coilovers
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...m/P1010403.JPG

when need be, full up; max air into cylinders
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...m/P1010419.JPG
Old 01-15-10, 06:43 PM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I seriously didnt know about this suspension till now.... im newb in this area

This is what I want. Whats the pricing compared to air? Also how does air get into it? Is it similiar to a setup like airbags??

Last edited by soulific; 01-15-10 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 06:48 PM
soulific
Advanced

Ok I just googled it.

This seems to be what Im looking for rather than airbags. Top secret has one as you shown, as well as platinum VIP.

Pricing seems to be the same as air though. I hope one of these cup kits will work with it my bc racing. UAS doesn't work with it Im told. Since the cup goes over the spring, it should be more versatile, i hope.

Last edited by soulific; 01-15-10 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 06:52 PM
zuhhed
Rookie

Originally Posted by soulific
I have corner 8's on right now. I have a set of bc racing coilovers on thier way with custom spring rates and valving coming next week hopefully.

Do I know you zuhhed? I see your drive a es. May seem random but are you the zed that killed my fish?
yeah, it's me haha. sorry about chubby!
Old 01-16-10, 02:31 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soulific
Ok I just googled it.

This seems to be what Im looking for rather than airbags. Top secret has one as you shown, as well as platinum VIP.

Pricing seems to be the same as air though. I hope one of these cup kits will work with it my bc racing. UAS doesn't work with it Im told. Since the cup goes over the spring, it should be more versatile, i hope.
Roberuta I know of, not sure of the other cup kit companies, can make the cup kit to work with any existing coilover. What you will need to do is provide them with the measurements they need to ensure the cup kit fits precisely over the springs and still work with the upper mounts.
Old 01-28-10, 03:00 AM
sgvdd525
Driver

Originally Posted by LexAnt
Roberuta I know of, not sure of the other cup kit companies, can make the cup kit to work with any existing coilover. What you will need to do is provide them with the measurements they need to ensure the cup kit fits precisely over the springs and still work with the upper mounts.
yup... most company will require you to bring in your suspension to be measure so they will make you a custom fit cup kit.

i know platinum vip does that... and from what they have told me is that the cup is special and better than roberuta since the Phantom Cup Kit allows you to ride/drive with air in the cups. from first hand knowledge, airforce cup kit suspension burns out if you drive with air in the cups.
Old 01-28-10, 06:24 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

i've driven with air in the cups for a good while when need be. for example, highway 80 wasn't finished being repaved and there were patches of new and old paved roads resulting in abrupt level changes. this resulted in a lot of sparks flying for my friends while we were on our way to Thunderhill. I just aired up my cups and drove for probably 20-30 miles with them up, enduring those abrupt level changes. Cups are still good, i will say that they had their effect on tire wear though obviously.
Old 01-29-10, 01:02 AM
soulific
Advanced

Originally Posted by sgvdd525
yup... most company will require you to bring in your suspension to be measure so they will make you a custom fit cup kit.

i know platinum vip does that... and from what they have told me is that the cup is special and better than roberuta since the Phantom Cup Kit allows you to ride/drive with air in the cups. from first hand knowledge, airforce cup kit suspension burns out if you drive with air in the cups.

True... platinum Vip was very helpful in answering my questions. They said the phantom kit fits fine, but they are like you said gonna measure everything to make sure.

I already made my choice to go with the phantom kit when I get the money.
Old 01-29-10, 07:26 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

^ im getting the phantom kit too yay for air!