SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just Joined Forum with 1992 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-10, 07:21 AM
CRuby
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Joined Forum with 1992 SC400

My son just bought a 1992 SC400 with 180K miles. I hope to get some useful advise out of this club as we repair various worn out/ broken items. I don't have any history of what's been repaired on the car. Several items on our repair list for starters. I haven't yet dug through the prior posts but if you folks can answer or aim me toward prior posts I'd appreciate it. So our initial short list:
1) Hood support struts broken. I'm surprised on how heavy the hood is. Found replacements on **********, but don't want to get stuck getting getting one's that might be too flimsy. Any advise? Local parts stores don't seem to list hood struts for SC400. Do other models use the same size?
2) Trunk support struts broken. How do you remove them? Tough getting to the 12mm nut near trunk arm. Do I remove the clip on forward end 1st? How do I get this clip off?
3) Passenger door doesn't open from inside. Outside works fine. I suspect broken cable or connection from inside linkage. Any tips for what's broken & repair steps. I don't want to mess up door panel as I remove it, so pointers on that would be great.
4) Antenna mast broken. (Power antenna). Can the mast itself be replaced, & still work with power up-down, or must we change the entire power antenna?
5) Timing Belt Intact but lots of cracking. Must replace. Any other items likely to need replacement as we disassemble to get to timing belt?
6) Tune up. Got a list of parts?
7) Fuel pump makes whining noise...sometimes.
8) A/C control display 1/2 visible.

Thanks in advance for all the threads I hope this sparks. The car looks sharp with it's repainted metallic red, & seems to run pretty good. I want to take care of numerous neglected & worn out items. Looking forward to lots of good advise.
Old 01-16-10, 07:36 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Velcommen! Good luck modding- get some aftermarket parts to update your sons SC!
ClubLexus Classified Ads

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 01-16-10 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-16-10, 08:12 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These are all common problems.

1) Hood support struts broken. I'm surprised on how heavy the hood is. Found replacements on **********, but don't want to get stuck getting getting one's that might be too flimsy. Any advise? Local parts stores don't seem to list hood struts for SC400. Do other models use the same size?
2) Trunk support struts broken. There are DIY's out there. Search
DIY
3) Passenger door doesn't open from inside. Outside works fine. I suspect broken cable or connection from inside linkage. Any tips for what's broken & repair steps. I don't want to mess up door panel as I remove it, so pointers on that would be great.
Again - SEARCH Link
4) Antenna mast broken. (Power antenna). Can the mast itself be replaced, & still work with power up-down, or must we change the entire power antenna?
5) Timing Belt Intact but lots of cracking. Must replace. Any other items likely to need replacement as we disassemble to get to timing belt?
6) Tune up. Got a list of parts?
7) Fuel pump makes whining noise...sometimes.
8) A/C control display 1/2 visible.
There are rebuild services on ebay, or you can buy the LCD and DIY, or contact aliga here and buy a used one.

I'll let you search for the others...
Old 01-16-10, 10:20 AM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think ishootstuf did a pretty good job searching your main problems and answering most of questions but

1. If they say replacement and its a reputable site it will probably work.
4. I believe the mast can just be replaced.
8. The bleeding screen over half members on here probably have that problem or have had it. But Aliga your man

Welcome. Pics of car
Old 01-16-10, 02:04 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
Velcommen! Good luck modding- get some aftermarket parts to update your sons SC!
ClubLexus Classified Ads
ahem

it's Willkommen.

Old 01-16-10, 07:16 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Should be a fun project. Welcome to CL..
Old 01-17-10, 07:43 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL, as I have the same car..

For the hood struts, just measure them and take the measurements to Oreilys or Advanced and have them to replace them with new ones. The same for the rear also. Heres the link for replacing the rear..https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...rt-w-pics.html
For the door...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...iy-w-pics.html......
For the antenna, can you hear the motor running at all?
Timing belt.. Uses this link, excellent write up...www.lexls.com.. Look under maintenance and you should find it. Its the same motor but different intake. You dont have to pull the radiator out. To get the crank pulley off, slide a 22mm over the crank bolt with a big ratchet, then slide a piece of pipe over the ratchet, then wedge the pipe under the driver side of the car frame, then BUMP then starter, DO NOT crank it.. Then will remove the crank bolt like butter. Its on there with 192 ft/lbs.
I would replace the spark plugs, air filter, caps, rotor buttons, and wires, while I was doing the water pump and thermostat. All of this will have to removed while you are in there anyway, so replace it.
Fuel pump, search on here.
Blackened LCD or climate, send it to Lextech Lighting. Contact OLT on here or Pm him for advice. You can buy just the LCD off of Ebay for around 125, then resolder it together and junk the old one, I would replace all lighting while in there. DIY is also on here.
Hope this helps you out.. Again Welcome to CL! Good luck with your car..
Old 01-17-10, 11:47 AM
CRuby
Rookie

Thanks for the welcome & the all the prompt replies with numerous links. Lots of good info. Just moved car into the garage for it's various repairs. Doug (my 21 year old son) is dieing to get this baby on the road. I know once he does, it will be hard to take it out of commission to do much work on it. Until then, he's stuck with the '89 Ranger (which I rebuilt). Obviously the Ranger just doesn't have the WOW factor that the SC400 does.
Old 01-17-10, 12:15 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRuby

2) Trunk support struts broken. How do you remove them? Tough getting to the 12mm nut near trunk arm. Do I remove the clip on forward end 1st? How do I get this clip off?
Look at the DIY that was posted above. spray a good amount of WD-40 on the nut and you have to try REALLLY hard to get them off.
make sure you get the correct struts for the trunk because they sell NON-spoiler trunk 92-96 struts and spoilered trunk 92-96 struts.
Old 01-17-10, 04:25 PM
CRuby
Rookie

Trunk struts & hood struts removed. Had to heat the trunk bolts with propane torch to break the loctite. This easily did the trick. However it certainly wouldn't pass the "safety moment" checks at work. Propane torch ~ 6in away from fuel inlet pipe & ~ 1 ft away from the main gas tank. Kept waiting for the KaBoom! But seriously, I made sure no gas smell & adequate ventilation with fan flow. If I saw my son doing this I probably would have chewed him out for being unsafe. BUT do as I say, not as I do... and he didn't see me. Both hood struts & 1 trunk strut were shot.
Old 01-17-10, 09:32 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome!!! What part of Florida are you in? If your in Tampa we got a whole lotta members around that could help you out and get better acquainted with the car. Let me know and good luck on getting the SC back in shape.