SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Drag specs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-10 | 09:48 PM
TunerLexx
Driver School Candidate

Talking Drag specs

Just wondering...does anyone know what a stock sc400 automatic runs in a quarter mile? a buddy of mine with a 89 fox body mustang 5.0 with cobra intake and headers with a 273 rear end says he could stomp my car, and I have a 93 sc400 v8 with cold air intake and bored out headers with performance injectors and spark plugs... who would win in your opinion? lol we're gonna run at the atlanta raceway where they held the pinks a year ago in a week. I dunno, I think I'd rip his car...his is a stick 5 speed and mines got O/D with the economy control. Just lookin for honest opinions. His car won't hook and mine hooks from first gear.
Old 01-17-10 | 10:33 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

If the track is prepped I don't think your friend would have any problems hooking. As far as who will win the race, I figure it will be close?
Old 01-18-10 | 04:52 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

I am going to guess the mustang will be tough for you to beat. You need boost! I know where there is a TT kit for your car up for grabs cheap, he would never know what hit him.
Old 01-18-10 | 05:06 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by TunerLexx
I have a 93 sc400 v8 with cold air intake and bored out headers with performance injectors and spark plugs...
What are bored out headers and performance injectors? Did you buy your SC with these modifications?
Old 01-18-10 | 06:48 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Good question Dave, I wondered the same thing but assumed he must have aftermarket headers, there is nothing to bore on stock ones. Injectors? Don't have a clue.
Old 01-18-10 | 03:03 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

i've had a run in w/ a stock foxbody at a track and it was a REALLY close race each time. We ran mid to high 15s. This was before i had the aluminum flywheel installed

As for you, i think the mustang is gonna whoop you, unless he spins out of the hole or misses a gear. i can see him in the low 15s maybe 14s. you would be mid to high 15s. Curious about the mods you mentioned as well....
Old 01-18-10 | 04:56 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

says he could stomp my car.
Yep!
Old 01-18-10 | 06:27 PM
nickvillan
Driver

man...u got to replace that v8 with a chevy small block
Old 01-23-10 | 08:36 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Updates on the mustang stomping?
Old 01-23-10 | 09:54 AM
NopainT
Driver School Candidate

Well what happened? I didn't know they re-opened Atlanta raceway...
Old 01-23-10 | 11:51 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Just wondering...does anyone know what a stock sc400 automatic runs in a quarter mile? a buddy of mine with a 89 fox body mustang 5.0 with cobra intake and headers with a 273 rear end says he could stomp my car, and I have a 93 sc400 v8 with cold air intake and bored out headers with performance injectors and spark plugs... who would win in your opinion? lol we're gonna run at the atlanta raceway where they held the pinks a year ago in a week. I dunno, I think I'd rip his car...his is a stick 5 speed and mines got O/D with the economy control. Just lookin for honest opinions. His car won't hook and mine hooks from first gear.

TunerLexx, Since you are asking, I am going to answer you honestly, but at the middle and end of my post in red. I have a few questions for you:
  1. What type of Cold Air Intake?
  2. What are "Bored out Headers"? Or what do you mean when you write this?
  3. What type of performance injectors do you have? What is their cc size or lbs per minute flow rate?
  4. If you have, I assume, larger injectors from what you are claiming, what means are you using to control them? Are you using an SAFC, or some equivalent Piggy Back to control them?
  5. Performance spark plugs provide no significant increase in power.
  6. Your stock auto tranny with O/D is one of your biggest achilles heels in your whole set up. It is set up to slip into each gear with a buttery soft shift, a retard in timing, and a loss in power between shifts due to the manufacturer's desire to provide luxury, not performance. So it will hurt you in performance.
  7. Finally, his car won't hook up and yours does.....Your car won't spin in first gear because it is designed not to, unless you have the Trac off, and it is raining....Your stock TQ converter is set with a relatively low stall speed to keep you from building up power from take off....This is why the SC400 is such a dog off the line....moving a 3600 lbs car with a factory rating of 250 BHP (probably over rated), and an actual WHP of somewhere between 165 and 195 on a 93 model, unless this guy does not know how to drive, or something of his breaks, my prediction is you will get spanked, and badly.
Sorry guy, but it sounds like you basically have a stock 93 SC400, and while its performance was not bad back in the day, it is sorely missing in todays standards. That is why you see some of us, like me, ScotURnott, Steve Chumo, KC, John Cribb, David Phan and several others adding boost to the 1UZ. It is a significantly underpowered powerplant purposely built that way from the factory. You either have to boost it, or for NA apps build the motor, add performance cams, port the heads and intake, change the valves to oversized, etc, etc. Big dollars, no matter where you go.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but I don't think you have a snowballs chance in hell to beat him, if he has what he says he has.....

BTW, prediction for you:

PAIN!!

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 01-23-10 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-23-10 | 12:13 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Boost does wonders for everyone.

May the force be with you, and start thinking of excuses now.
Old 01-23-10 | 01:12 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

At least you're taking this to the track, props for that!