SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

turbo auto or stick

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-02, 02:39 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo auto or stick

I have this problem i can't decide auto or stick my car is auto i already have the 6speed and the complete 2jzgte motor with
both the stick and auto rear ends. I cant make my mind up what
to do .Also the pedals for conversion,any sugestions i also should be getting a extra exhaust from japan will have it for sale when it gets here 80mm piping.

all inputs welcome.
Old 05-17-02, 03:04 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

My suggestion is sell the motor and tranny to me
How much did you pick them up for?

As for the tranny, Ive heard that its a pain in the *** to swap in the manual if you dont have the 5 speed version. I belive that powerhouse racing wont even swap the 6 spd into the manual (if not powerhouse it was another place that does swaps.)

I think it would be fun having an auto with mad power, it would be fun to race with, while hes busy intensly shifting, your sippin on a slurpee or somethin . Wouldnt you feel like a damn fool getting your *** beat by a man holding a drink?

Jason
Old 05-17-02, 03:10 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Oh, and if your worried about the auto being able to handle the power, heres proof of just how much it can handle
http://www.teamkoncept.com/nopi/imag...ous_pix_of_sc/
Old 05-17-02, 04:26 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the auto you won't need a blow-off valve,since you don't close the throttle when shifting.
Old 05-18-02, 09:40 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SCV8
With the auto you won't need a blow-off valve,since you don't close the throttle when shifting.
You'll still need one. What happens when you're boosting 20lbs with it floored, you get to 100mph and decide to let off the gas. All that pressure from the turbo slams into a closed throttlebody and kicks back on the turbo. Ouch.

Plus you can't make the cool PFFFFT! when you want to...lol

SR
Old 05-18-02, 11:16 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

I got the motor with everything for $3800plus the two 6speed boxes i havethere is a lot of money tied up in this car.I will decide this week so i can take the eibach of and install the japanese trd
supra bilstein shocks aand springs.
Old 05-18-02, 07:28 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by the_ez_rhino

As for the tranny, Ive heard that its a pain in the *** to swap in the manual if you dont have the 5 speed version. I belive that powerhouse racing wont even swap the 6 spd into the manual (if not powerhouse it was another place that does swaps.)

Jason
The auto can handle up to ~450 RWHP... But it will slip VeilsideRSP had the auto -- it slipped some, but never gave out. He now has a built AT.

Jason, I think you ment to say that powerhouse racing won't swap the 6sp in unless you have the 5sp -- they won't even touch the AT.

John
Old 05-19-02, 10:41 AM
Unnatural
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by CmputerWiz

You'll still need one. What happens when you're boosting 20lbs with it floored, you get to 100mph and decide to let off the gas. All that pressure from the turbo slams into a closed throttlebody and kicks back on the turbo. Ouch.

Plus you can't make the cool PFFFFT! when you want to...lol

It's still not really necessary. With a manual you'll be kicking boost back into the turbo and driving it against it's bearings with every shift. With the auto this doesn't happen except, like you said, when you let of the gas pedal. My point is your not really doing this enough to damage anything. In fact, if you check out the many Grand National and Turbo Trans Ams, which are all autos from the factory, they'll notice they use NO blow off valves stock. 95% of the modded ones don't use one either, this includes my old Turbo Trans Am. However there is nothing wrong with adding one to your turbo/auto car but you can go without one if you choose to. Just my $.02

As far as the sound goes...can't argue with that! It's worth it just for that!

Last edited by Unnatural; 05-19-02 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-19-02, 01:38 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Ya, I meant they wont touch it unless you have a 5 spd