SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1992 SC400 Project. Buy or walk away?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 09:51 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are not planning to swap out the motor and just want a daily driver..walk away and spend the extra money that you will to get this car running into a nice SC that has keys lol!
Old 01-23-10, 10:20 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

if your good with cars buy it...... i bought a 95 with blown headgaskets and quarter panel for dirt but im just putting all the interior stuff in my 94 since like that other cl member said its all cracked etc. and i bought a 90 ls400 for 600 that needs a starter but i love wrenching on these i just love these cars. So to each their own but just make sure you have your mind made up before you buy it , but if it was me i would buy the key with the vin number and go from there because he should agree to pay you back for the key if you decide not to buy , I mean he needs a key either way right? and that way you can find out if its worth in your eyes 800 or not .... Thats just me though
Old 01-24-10, 12:20 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I ended up purchasing the car today.

Immediately after I bought it I found the key under the drivers seat. So I decided to jump start it to see how/if it was in running condition. It started right up and poured out white steam/smoke and ran horribly. After about a minute the steam died down and the car was just putting out puffs of white smoke that smelled like pure gasoline.

After I had it towed home, I put some fresh gas in it, topped off the power steering fluid, and a new battery.

Now it was time to get to work. I figured it was having some sort of ignition issue due to how rich it was running, so I examined the plug wires. Immediately after remove the plastic cover I notice the wire that goes to the ignition coil is cut! So I rummage through a set of spark plug wires from my old LS400 and replace the wire to the coil. I start it up and, and it's purring like a Lexus V8 should, no smoke on start up this time or any unusual sounds.

Next it was time for a test drive. I start it and put it in reverse...so far so good. I put it in drive and head down the street and to my surprise the transmission shifted very smoothly and was very responsive. The engine has good power and traction control worked as it should.

I'm still undecided on weather of not to keep the car here's what it has going for it:

Engine and tranny appear to be good
Body is in decent shape showing only a few minor dings and dents
Climate control and the A/C compressor work
Most interior power features work
Tires have a good amount of tread and all match
Cluster needles work

The bad:
Few minor exhaust leaks originating from closer to the rear of the car
Power steering works but appears to leak
Stereo doesn't function, sub is missing
Pass window regulator shot
Almost every interior panel needs replacing
Timing belt looks a tad aged

So the question would be after bringing maintenance up (oil change, coolant, and transmission flush), what would be a fair asking price for it in it's current shape? And should I sell it? I don't mind spending some money to fix it up, just don't what it to be a total money pit. Opinions?

Some pics:

Last edited by Scotty; 01-24-10 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-24-10, 03:57 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

keep it and beat it i mean if you do all the maintenance etc. yourself and dont worry about the interior or get it cheap from aliga or a local pick and pull i would say 400 would definitely cover the maintenance oil change timing belt water pump tensioner and pullleys tranny filter and a couple quarts toyota t4
Old 01-24-10, 04:55 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a keeper
Old 01-24-10, 05:05 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should keep it! Glad you were able to get it running smoothly. Most parts can be found cheap in the classifieds section
Old 01-25-10, 01:10 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

leatherseats.com
power steering leak is from factory LOLOLOL
keep that beast. do all the luids and enjoy it its gonna run forver and do the timing belt.
Old 01-25-10, 09:42 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
leatherseats.com
power steering leak is from factory LOLOLOL
keep that beast. do all the luids and enjoy it its gonna run forver and do the timing belt.
Yeah, Every 90-97 Lexus I've owned has had some sort of power steering leak.

Will be doing some interior work soon. Trying to decide how much money to invest in this car because no matter what I do I probably won't make a profit off of fixing it up/selling it.
Old 01-25-10, 12:19 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

So you bought it, haha, congrats on the purchase and GL on the repairs. It should be a fun project, and if you do sell, glws. Keep a budget on ur expenses and you should be profitable
Old 01-25-10, 01:56 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great you found the key! Sounds like you found a great deal.