SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Heater unit won't work

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-10, 02:43 PM
stonewis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater unit won't work

I tried to plug my cell phone charger last night. The charger fell apart while I was inserting it. (resist the urge to joke about this guys) I took all the parts out of the cigar lighter unit and noticed that the heater wasn't blowing.

Further inspection found that the cigar lighter doesn't have power. I know that the two components do NOT share the same fuses. I checked the fuses and found fuse number 10 (15 amp) under the dash was blown. This is the cigar lighter fuse. I replaced it. I also checked fuse number 2 (10 amp) under the dash and the heater cartridge type fuse under the hood. Neither one was defective.

I wonder if the two events are related, though I don't see how. Yet, the heater was working last night up to the point that I tried to plug the phone charger in.

I've spent the past two hours reading posts, using the "search" function. I can't find anything similar to my problem.

On a further note, I do NOT have an after-market radio or alarm or remote start system.

Can anyone help me? O.L.T., if you're reading this I'd appreciate your input, please!

Thanks for reading and replying....
It's cold here and I need some heat!
Old 02-07-10, 03:27 PM
stonewis
Pole Position

Update: I just checked the cigar lighter and the fuse is blown again. The heater unit still won't work. I pulled the fuse under the dash and the cartridge fuse under the hood and ran a continuity test on them to see if they were defective. They are okay.
The heater/AC unit has no lights at all other than the backlight. I'm going to start taking things apart to see if there are any worn wires.
Anybody have any ideas?
Old 02-07-10, 03:30 PM
stonewis
Pole Position

By "heater/AC unit", I mean the climate control unit. I should use the correct terminology!
Old 02-10-10, 11:21 PM
simplgreen
Pole Position

i had the same problem happen to me! my girl tried plugging in the cellphone charger, n when she did she said there was a penny in it! now my climate control doesnt work at all! only the lights on it turn on.
Old 02-11-10, 05:54 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

I would say if the cig fuse is still blowing that you still have debris in the lighter socket that you probably can't see.

Until you can stop the fuse from blowing, I would concentrate there.

Alan
Old 02-12-10, 03:33 AM
stonewis
Pole Position

I have the cleanest cig lighter assembly ever! I took the console out and sure enough, there's a small metal ring off the end of the charger. Check the chargers for tightness of parts from now on! While I had it off I rebuilt the ash tray cover gears (it wouldn't "spring" open). Wow! What an ordeal because of a small piece of metal!