SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Winshield wipers not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-02, 09:59 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Winshield wipers not working

Anyone had their wipers stop working? Mine started making a funny noise from the fuse box; like a relay getting fried. Now the wipers nor the washers don't work. I don't have a workshop manual, and was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and wether or not it's just a simple relay, or if my whole motor is shot? Seems like nothing on that column stick functions.....and yes, I've checked the fuses!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 05-23-02, 09:39 PM
007lexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey keith,
I wish I can help, but I dont have a manual for troubleshooting. My system works.

Since I've posted to this thread, maybe it'll get some attention and someone can answer you.

Come on folks, keith here has helped many so lets return the favor.

thanks,
Old 05-24-02, 06:08 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried to figure it out but I couldn't. I remember on a old mercedes there is 1 motor that powers both wipers and was connected by a rod in a "T" and the wipers didn't function but you could hear the motor winning because its working with no load.... I don't have a manual so I don't know... but this could be a problem.... i would check with car-parts.com to see what the aseembly looks like..... sorry I can't do more....
Old 05-24-02, 06:37 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I will look for the relevant pages to windsheild wipers and fax them out to anyone whom is interested. I'll check it out when I get home. I have a similar issue with my power side mirrors that I have not yet had the time to trouble shoot. PM me if you need pages. I am still working on getting the manual scanned into a computer file format - damn scanner is acting up.
Old 05-24-02, 06:53 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow Wipers

Keith.....There are three different fuses in the wiper/washer circuit. The "ALT" & "AM1" Fuses are in the fuse block in the engine compartment and the "Wiper" Fuse located in the fuse block on the driver side kick panel.
Since you mentioned that nothing in that column works.....I was reading the troubleshooting chart in the manual.....One step mentions the wiper/washer not working along with the combination switch not working. The steps would be to:

1 - Check the wiper fuse ( you did That)

2 - Check your Ignition Switch

3 - Check wiper switch

4 - Check wiper motor (one motor located on driver side below wipers...you could check if power is getting to motor. Connector pins 1 & 3 are for low speed and pins 1 & 2 are for high speed.

5 - Check wire harness.

Hopes this helps

gadgetSC
Old 05-24-02, 09:44 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. The problem started after I heard a loud clicking noise by the fuse box on the kick pannel. Basically sounded like a relay getting stuck. It was an extreemely fast ticking sound, kinda like if you were to hold down a key on an electric typewriter...........remember those.......or is this the world of microsoft. Anyway you can find them next the 8-track's in the closet.

Back to the problem. I'm thinking its just a relay that burn out, since the whole wiper/washer switch went out at the same time and that god awful relay sound. If anyone has any info on where this relay is, or what it looks like; let me know. If anyone has a schmatic drawing from a manual, etc. Drop me a line. If you have it scanned in , I can be e-mailed at: keith.rivera@dep.state.fl.us .

I had to drive in the rain the other day, and it sucked @ss. I don't want to bring it to the dealer, but if I can't solve this problem in a week, I'll have to bring it in. I'll be out of town this weekend, so I won't be able to check my e-mail or this forum. I'll be back first thing tuesday morning, so if anyone has any other info, I would so greatly appreciate it. Also feel free to bump this message over the weekend too if any one so desires.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday weekend.

Thanks a million,
Keith
Old 05-24-02, 01:46 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Relay block 2 located in the big fuse box in the engine bay on the intake manifold side of the car. ALT fuse and AM1 fuse are what is listed.

Wiper switch - on the column, wiper motor/washer motor, or the harness are next in order. The wiper fuse is located in the fuse box inside the cabin at the driver side kick.

Good luck.