SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Toyota dealer tried to upcharge me 10$ for oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-02, 04:10 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota dealer tried to upcharge me 10$ for oil change

I took my 95 SC 300 to a local toyota dealer and saw a sign that said oil change 19.99$ well I pulled through to the service and the guy calls someone and then tells me since I have a lexus the oil change price is 29.99$, Im like why , he says casue you have a lexus and not a Toyota. Im like what the hell??
Old 05-24-02, 04:24 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Toyota dealer tried to upcharge me 10$ for oil change

Originally posted by Din
I took my 95 SC 300 to a local toyota dealer and saw a sign that said oil change 19.99$ well I pulled through to the service and the guy calls someone and then tells me since I have a lexus the oil change price is 29.99$, Im like why , he says casue you have a lexus and not a Toyota. Im like what the hell??
Did you pay? Hope you didn't. I would call them and ask how much is an oil change on a N/A Toyota Supra. If he says 19.95 I would talk to the manager.
Old 05-24-02, 04:47 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

No i didnt i left. I asked him if I brought in a Toyota supra how much it would be he said 19.99$. He stright out told me since I got a Lexus and I want it done its gonna be 29.99$
Old 05-24-02, 11:04 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Din
No i didnt i left. I asked him if I brought in a Toyota supra how much it would be he said 19.99$. He stright out told me since I got a Lexus and I want it done its gonna be 29.99$
Call the dealership, ask for the manager and say that it says you do oil changes for 19.99 dollars. Say that you are being asked 29.99 dollars. Say that's false advertising. Tell him you feel this is not right. Don't threaten him, don't raise your voice, nothing, be polite. If this happened to me you better belive I would get pissed and get what I want. You guys gotta fight for this or else more dealerships will do this.
Old 05-25-02, 12:43 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lexus Dealer here in Ann Arbor, MI, charges 60 bucks for oil change on SC's. Is this a normal price? I can never trust the dealers....after being charged 600 dollars for timing belt replacement.
Old 05-25-02, 02:20 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know about the Lexus service you guys get in the states. But everytime I bring my car for service (oil changes included) I get a free loaner (last time it was a IS300), free car wash/vacuum and personalize treatment. Yes there is a price difference for labor rate they charge for Toyota and Lexus cars. But Lexus owners get different treatment than Toyota owners. Our local dealer not also sell and service Lexus but also GM, Benz and Toyota. Rarely do Lexus owners need to wait long. Never waited in line as we just go directly to the service manager's office and get personal attention. Nice to see other non-Lexus owners waiting in line while I just go directly to the service manager for service. This type of service is also available to post warranty Lexus cars. I don't expect this type of service for walk-in. But only scheduled service.

Chu...
Old 05-25-02, 11:21 AM
kmn5
Lead Lap

Default dealers are crooks

The Lexus dealer of Manhattan, sucks.
I had a scheduled service checkup.
Wanted to have all the fulids including manual tranny fulid changed.
I show up on time, but have to wait cause the rep they have assinged me is trying to make a sale, so I wait 35 mins. Cause they said no one else could help me, cause Mr Jaun Veldez is my customer rep. I asked to speak to the manager to change reps.
But "NO".
The service was Over $500.
NO Loaner,
NO ride to the train (and it was a freaking long walk; 12 blocks!
and these are the huge one's on the west side,)
not even a coffee or cup of water
Hell I'm just there to pick up a part, not even a car buyer.
The dealers in NYC are rude and have no idea for to treat customers.....
Just my 2 cents...............
Old 05-25-02, 08:12 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Why use a dealer, any dealer, for an oil change, anyways?

Here in LA, many tire dealers and even Midas muffler shops will change your oil for $19.99, and even less if you use a coupon found in many newspapers.

Discount coupons are all over the place- in issues of the Pennysaver, the Recycler, in those Blue Val-Paks that are mailed to your house every month, etc. You can register on the Goodyear web page and get on their mailing list and they'll mail you coupons regularly.

This may not be the case in other parts of the country but in LA there is no need to ever pay more than $20 for an oil change, even on a Lexus.
Old 05-26-02, 01:35 AM
nitecow
Driver School Candidate

So exactly is the best oil to put in the SC's? Mobile 1 Synthetic? That's what I've always used on previous cars, but I just got my first lexus and I was wondering if any of you have a preferance?

-Dan
Old 05-26-02, 02:26 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

We use 10W40 right? Just making sure, since it's been a while since I've done an oil change on a car (never done it on the SC). The Lexus dealership here charges $39.99 for an oil change, but you get a Starbuck's wetbar, cookies, satellite tv on a big screen, courtesy phone booths, VERY NICE, comfy Ethan Allen leather couches, and they clean and wash your Lex inside out. Your car smells all scented when you get in, and your pedals are a lot stiffer/responsive. Not a bad price, I'd say, if you have the money for it. It's sure better than getting an oil change at Jiffy Lube, sitting in a non-air conditioned shack for an hour reading back-issues of Auto-trader while you wait eying the questionable mechanic and wondering if he's using the right oil and filter.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the most important part... the waiting room at the dealership has a daycare center too! Thank God! No listening to loud *** whining, fussing, smelly, annoying children and all their little quirks.

Last edited by lex400sc; 05-26-02 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-26-02, 11:05 AM
Lvangundy

$600 for a timing belt replacement? that's really cheap unless it was just the belt...
I paid $1100 for a belt and water pump..couldn't find a cheap place in CA.
Old 05-26-02, 12:02 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

you are kidding me....
the belt itself only costs 50 bucks....
and the rest for labor fee? That's CHEAP?
I didn't even have the water pump replaced at the time.
Old 06-21-02, 06:11 PM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb Timing belts

Hi guys, what mileage did you have on the car when you had the timing belt replaced? thx
Old 06-21-02, 06:18 PM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: Timing belts

Originally posted by lexina
Hi guys, what mileage did you have on the car when you had the timing belt replaced? thx
It's usually around 60k miles I think.
Old 06-21-02, 07:16 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

10w40 oil??? It says right on my engine 5w30. Of cource when I went to Olson Tire here in Jax. for a $10 oil change I ended up paying 250 and staying there for over 6hrs. They talked me into a transmission fluid change (they neglected to mention that they had to special order it......even though I was sitting in on the service) and a air filter change (they chaged me $50 for that service...HA! I WAS PISSED....even though I told them not to do it). Now I only go to the dealership for oil. It costs around 60, but the big screen TV, the leather sofa's, and the fact that they clean the interior and exterior I belive it is worth it. My A/C compressor went out last week so i have to drive to orlando to get that fixed, a frend is going to change it out for around 400 when I was told around 1500 from the dealership.

Quick Reply: Toyota dealer tried to upcharge me 10$ for oil change