SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ownership as a Married/Family Man?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 10:43 AM
CSSC400STL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not married but my gf hates that i want to do so much wit my car and put my money into it then take care of bills when i am. but other than that i live wit my parents nd we have like 5 cars a charger expedition a durango rt a es300 nd my sc400. but if u can afford both cars nd take of ur fam then ur in good shape
Old 02-20-10, 11:21 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

It all depends on what is practical and what you can afford.i bought all the cars except the civic that my wife bought.my son drives the civic now,i gave my wife the matrix xrs and i bought the sc which sits in the garrage now because i have a company truck.but i'm lucky my wife want a vette.but i'll try to talk her into a genesis coupe six speed.
Old 02-20-10, 12:49 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not married, nor do i have a current gf...but my ex HATED that i'd spend most of my free time with my car and also that i would talk about parts, mods, and the car itself (Which probably explains WHY she's my ex) but i do want a family in the near future and more than likely my SC will STILL be in my life. I mean, i cant let this car go.....even if i wanted to. So when it comes time that I have a family, I will do everything in my power to keep my SC, even if that means buying another car as a family car (Most likely a GS)
Old 02-20-10, 02:44 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's practical to have a vehicle that best suits your situation. An SC, to me, is just my hobby. I don't drive it everyday, although I can. The cost off ownership is much higher than,say, a honda civic. I have both vehicles and I burn through tires 3 times faster in my SC and pay twice as much in fuel.

For me, if I don't have the money to upkeep and modify my SC, then I wouldn't have one....period. I'm just fortunate to have a good paying profession that allows me to keep this and to support my other love, Fishing.

So you have to do what's best for you and your family. It sucks to bite the bullet sometimes, but do what you HAVE to do first.

Hope this helps
Old 02-20-10, 05:08 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ420a
Im 34, married with a daughter. Its not really that bad if you manage your money correctly and of course your making enough.

My wife and daughter love my SC

My line up is:

92 Pathfinder - wifeys
99 SC300 - My DD/project when its nice out
96 Ram 4x4 - My DD when its nasty out
96 Eclipse GSX - Toy
92 240sx - Toy
08 HD Night Rod - Toy

My wife and I together dont make anymore than 60k a year. Like I said, its how you manage your funds and if they will allow it.

I like your response DJ.. sounds like your priorities are in order and can mod when funds allow.. Well said BTW..
Old 02-20-10, 05:16 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

Well here is where i stand...

Im happily married to a lovely italian woman named cristina. I have one child, he is 5 years old name Dominic. I have a house, and I also have two big *** dogs they are italian mastiffs called cane corsos! Now with my car situation u need to make sacrifices, both in your married life and your car. You need to know that you cant just go buy everything u want. I spent over 10000$ on my car last year alone and i might jsut say my wife was pissed!! So with that being said, you need to buy things for the car and make realistic goals for your SC that are able to be met. Dont buy an SC for a project car, thats what i did, I went 1j, then single, now drift.......$16000.00 later.....i have the car i want and the family i want....but it went with great sacrifice and many nights of sleeping ont he couch! haha

When its all said and done there is no way your DONE with your car. When u have a project car, there are always new and improved things to buy for it. So it never ends, its a money pit!!!

my solution....i bought the wife an SUV, 2010 DOdge nitro...now shes happy and i can buy what i want for my car
Old 02-20-10, 05:19 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I like your response DJ.. sounds like your priorities are in order and can mod when funds allow.. Well said BTW..
Exactly I dont use any of my paycheck money towards modding. Modding money for me, is from doing sidework in my shop or selling parts I dont need on ebay.
Old 02-20-10, 05:46 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Married, with 1 kid. Have several cars because really need them.
1. GS 430 for comfort
2. GX470 for wife commuter and family vehicle
3. SC w 1jz swap, commute car 17 mpg , Boosting .
4. Ford Ranger 4x4, Home Depot, Snow and Dump Runs. Soon to be replaced.

When 3 cars were down for repairs, I wondered how one car family did it. But I guess I wasn't use to it. So I just called in sick for the week. LMAO.
Old 02-21-10, 09:08 AM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

Well life is a *itch!.....So I married her

When that time comes for me I'll be on a LS43 hehe
Old 02-21-10, 09:35 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

I'm 34, married w/ two children (one from a previous relationship that comes to visit during the summer and holidays). I bought my SC as a third vehicle five years ago. Up until a few months ago our stable consisted of an E39 (wife's dd and travel), SC (my dd), and an 850 wagon (hauler). The wagon was totaled so now we're down to two. Since our kids are getting older (13 & 10), we'll be purchasing another wagon or 5-seater SUV.

Ideally, I'd try to pick up a four-door car if I were in your shoes (something like a 5th gen Accord, 2nd gen Altima, or 3rd gen Camry). The baby seat can be a hassle in some four-door cars let alone a SC. That way you could still keep the coupe.

Mousiee
Old 02-21-10, 09:40 AM
davidv433
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im lucky my wife loves the sc, it was her choice to buy it. i have two kids 7 and 3 and they both like the car. we have a 95 accord 4 door as the family car.
Old 02-21-10, 10:05 AM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

My SC is a daily driver and works well with a family as a 2nd car DD. It has side impact beams and airbags which are a selling point for safety, but there is a American family mindset that one must have a mini-van. Recently sold an FX35 (the SUV compromise to a mini-van) and unfortunately it looks like my SC will be replaced by a sport sedan as we move back into an SUV secondary to acquiring an Irish Wolfhound. Moral of the story is that an SC can work as a second car for the family as long as one sticks with small dogs and does not overfeed one's children.
Old 02-21-10, 10:40 AM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

I'm 32 with one Child (10 MONTHS) and Happily married. Before he was born I knew that I had to sell my love, A.K.A. the 91 s13 (SR20 BLK TOP, HKS INTAKE MANI, T28, All JDM OEM SIDES & REARS, SUDE door panels, Working AC!! and a whole lot other stuff to mention!) Because As soon as the wife took a ride in the car it was over! One day just after my son's birth my wife's car rad. broke and I had to take them to his first Doctors visit. Long story short she asked me " Why does your car jump like that?!" I Responded " Honey that's the turbo!" then she said " WTF! what's hitting me in my head!?" I responded " C-pillar bar" then she asked in a very motherly tone " IS THIS CAR SAFE!?" I said very stupidly " Honey this car ain't even got ABS" I was going the speed limit!! trust me! Thinking the conversation was over she looked up on the internet what ABS, TRC , SRS and all the safety options that come on cars nowadays. The next day as I was washing up the car, she told me " My son will never ever get in that car again and you need to sell the car!!" I said honey I need/want a coupe!!! period and all the stuff you want me to have would have my paying a car note which we can't afford at the moment and we had a deal I move to San Diego from Chicago I get a coupe and keep it for the rest of my life!!!(Personal dream of mine)" she said " I don't care!". I liked the SC series since high school and looked into them and well my car has ABS, Duel airbags, and she felt what can I do with a SC? Sold the S13 for 7500 Cheap if you ask me! got the coupe for 1850, 1jz for 1200 shipped, 650 for the manual conversion ,1900 for swap and parts, 250 for new BLK seats front and back, JDM LIPKIT 325 shipped, 80 for the LS400 BBK, 50 HKS FIREBALL exhaust and traded a set of R32gtr rims for lowering springs. that's 6305 so far and I still need RIMS, PANT, NEW SIDES AND REAR , FMIC, and I want supra shocks. You can build a decent car when you are a parent but know that the KID and Wife comes first , the junk yard should be your best friend and be happy with what you got and know it takes time. Spread out your projects that make sense like if your SC is your Daily do projects that take less time with car in the air first then do the big things last like pant and motor swaps. The way these cars are getting cheaper by the day I think I might go out and buy a 1st gen GS300 AND DO A 5 SPEED SWAP ON THAT!!!! LOL!

My last car :

My little legion of super hero member: Kent

My new money pit at 6,305 and counting:
Old 02-21-10, 11:51 AM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Everything can fit in there fine. No tippage problems. Huge trunk. Good safety. Win.
Old 02-21-10, 12:21 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 24boosted
College degree is your answer.
Not always true, but it does help and it can make life a lot easier when hunting for a job. Most of the wealthy people in the US are not college grads.

I don't have any kids, but I do have a dog and 4 cars that require a lot of attention, well 5 cars sometimes. Can't leave out girlfriend's IS

Quick Reply: Ownership as a Married/Family Man?