SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ownership as a Married/Family Man?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 01:16 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
Im a married man of almost 3 years now, Luckly my wife and i are both into cars. There for she is understanding of my need to Mod.

Thankfully no kids yet, But honestly i cant wait to have them so its acceptable for me to play with legos again and make forts.....BUT she knows we are both keeping our fun cars, we dont plan on having kids until both of us have our careers set and have enough security to give them everything they need, Including a Swagger Van if we need one.
you dont have to have kids to play with legos and build forts, but it does make it more entertaining..my daughter thinks its the coolest thing to build her little forts, but lately shes been helping me with my wrenches
Old 03-23-10, 05:05 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get a couple extra cars/truck, you will need them when you mod your car anyway.
Old 03-23-10, 06:25 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, for me, I have my "Me" car already with my T-Type. When we start having kids I'll see how I manage with the car seat. My buddy had an infant when I first got the car, and when we'd go places in it (instead of his 318ti, which is surprisingly good), the car seat fit just fine. If not, I'll try for something 4 door and fun.

Like I said, I have my toy, I really only require one of them. If I could afford more, that'd be great, but I think I'll have other things on my mind by then (mortgage, ugh).
Old 03-23-10, 07:01 AM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

This has been very interesting/entertaining reading. I always thought that once you got married/had kids it was all over. But a good friend of mine dispelled that theory. He's still buying whatever he wants, and is by no means rich though he does have a good job. As a matter of fact his wife went back to school to get her RN degree so they are living on just his income, and this past Saturday we went and picked up his lastest toy, a 1970 Cutlass convertible. He also has a 1972 Chevy Cheyenne, 2000 Silverado, 02 Caravan, and 01 Acura CL. Hes selling his 75 Delta 88 convertible.

I've been with my GF for over 6 years, but she has her OWN house and does NOT live with me. I have 6 cars myself (2 classics for cruising and car shows, Legend GS 6 speed, the SC, a pick'em up, and a VERY coll 78 Dodge ******* wagon van), it's nothing more than a hobby to me. It all depends on how you buy them IMO...if you buy them right then you'll never have to worry about being in hole because you can SELL them right too. I will not buy a car unless I know I can sell it a year later for more (or at very least equal) than I bought it for.

I know there can be many factors in this equation I'm not considering, but it seems to me like keeping the SC and finding a GOOD four door family car for a GOOD price shouldnt be that hard.
Old 05-05-10, 11:51 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

whenever i get a gf she is well aware of the car and what the deal is. the car is the wife the girl is the gf.. lol then later they are both wives lol
Old 05-05-10, 01:38 PM
countrygre
Rookie

nice package deal cleanshots, its very important to let the gf know about the love of the wife.
Old 05-05-10, 02:02 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

so far all past gf's have been fine with it. you just gotta make it known from the very start and if they still wanna date you and be with you then everything is good. a girl that is into cars herself helps..
Old 05-05-10, 02:19 PM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
so far all past gf's have been fine with it.
Sure about that?
Old 05-05-10, 02:52 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BIGCTY
Sure about that?
Hahaha !

I second that though, the girl has to understand this love affair.
Old 05-05-10, 03:24 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIGCTY
This has been very interesting/entertaining reading. I always thought that once you got married/had kids it was all over. But a good friend of mine dispelled that theory. He's still buying whatever he wants, and is by no means rich though he does have a good job. As a matter of fact his wife went back to school to get her RN degree so they are living on just his income, ...
story of my life right there.
Old 05-05-10, 07:05 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

40 years old, happily divorced, and have two kids out of car seats. 14 y/o boy and 10 y/o girl. They make do with a two door car with minimal complaints. I'm going to buy and drive whatever I want that I can afford. Someone said that SC's are money pits. Well they haven't owned a MKIII Supra, lol.

And for you guys who have insecure girlfriends and wives who hate your car. I truly feel sorry for you as it will never end with them. If you're not married...run! Find a woman who won't be jealous of a car.
Old 05-06-10, 10:33 AM
rdubious23
Rookie

I love this thread!! I am not alone!! I'm 37, 3 kids ages 1, 6, 7....I had to sell 2 G35s because of that rear facing child seat issue. Now I got the SUV, the wife's TSX, my A6 daily and the SC. So she only comes out during 'me' time. Wife has tried to talk ***** about the time and money I put into the SC, but it came to a point where I had to say hey.........I'm in the freaking garage, at an auto shop, or in some parking lot with other dudes about damn cars. It's either that or me being out who knows where doing who knows what! She hasn't tripped on it since. And *****, I f'ing pay for everything anyway, so a $4000 16 year old car that I've put a little $$ into beats the hell out of the mid-life earring and Corvette syndrome! Done venting.....good luck fellas.

I really thinks she's just jealous cuz it's too low for her to drive.... lol