SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New key fob for my '92 SC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 06:06 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forsure, i'll let you guys know tuterz. I just won that smart key so should be getting it in the mail within a week, keeping my fingers crossed lol

Yeah, check ebay out bostonSC4. That would be tiiight.

I just hate my '92 key.....its kind of embarrassing when i have to actually go up to my car and insert the key into the door to unlock them. lol
Old 02-21-10, 06:33 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

This brings up a good question.....did all SC's come with keyless entry? When I bought my 94SC4 (used) I did not get a key with the keyless entry buttons ......would be nice to have that function....
Old 02-21-10, 08:10 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

^I know right! same with me
Old 02-21-10, 08:18 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Letsride
This brings up a good question.....did all SC's come with keyless entry? When I bought my 94SC4 (used) I did not get a key with the keyless entry buttons ......would be nice to have that function....
Lol...yes they did.

You must not have gotten a master key.
Old 02-21-10, 08:20 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

bummer, the master key comes in handy.
Old 02-21-10, 08:23 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

^^It sure does. BUT on mine, the keyless entry side button is broke...sooo its kind of pointless..
Old 02-21-10, 10:49 PM
LH97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The smart key won't work with the SC. The FCC ID on my IS250 smart key is completely different from the FCC ID on my SC key. If the ID isn't the same then the car won't recognize the key, so it can't be programmed.
Old 02-21-10, 10:59 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

I don't know if you guys have this button in your SC, but in my SC I got a button right next to the gas tank switch/trunk switch that says "OFF" and "REMOTE". Of course, I have it set to "OFF" all the time because when I bought my SC I only got one master key that opens everything. I have been wondering how to get keyless entry for my SC too since it is a luxury car, that is the only thing that my car is missing. I went to my local Lexus dealership and they told me for JUST the remote including programming and everything it was like $300-400 bucks. I said the hell with that lol. I am looking for a cheap alternative like you guys, although I would like to have a new set of genuine Lexus/Toyota keys, remote transponder, etc.
Old 02-22-10, 09:25 AM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rooticon
I don't know if you guys have this button in your SC, but in my SC I got a button right next to the gas tank switch/trunk switch that says "OFF" and "REMOTE". Of course, I have it set to "OFF" all the time because when I bought my SC I only got one master key that opens everything. I have been wondering how to get keyless entry for my SC too since it is a luxury car, that is the only thing that my car is missing. I went to my local Lexus dealership and they told me for JUST the remote including programming and everything it was like $300-400 bucks. I said the hell with that lol. I am looking for a cheap alternative like you guys, although I would like to have a new set of genuine Lexus/Toyota keys, remote transponder, etc.
if your car came with a master key you should switch it to the remote instead on off.. so that you can use the remote on the master key to unlock your doors..

my car came with 2 master keys.. with remotes on both!!.. =D
Old 02-22-10, 10:33 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Well my key is a master key, but it doesn't have the remote. It is just a plain old key that opens everything manually. I will flip that switch though as soon as I get a damn remote that works lol.
Old 02-22-10, 12:26 PM
stonewis
Pole Position

Weeezy... from what I've read (and I've read a lot!) the fob has a transmitter which is on the same frequency as the receiver in the car. The receiver is located on a chip that is inside the remote lock ecu. This ecu is located behind the panel that is adjacent to the back seat, passenger side. You have to have matching units; ie, the key and chip have to be matched to work. I know Sewell sells the set. You have to provide proof of ownership and have a few bucks... The one you buy off ebay will be matched to another car. Later model cars could be reprogrammed, but not the '92s.
Old 02-22-10, 12:39 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

is there any way i can take my chip out of my key now.. and install it into the new key? .. to one of those buttons.. i just like the look of those new keys better..
Old 02-22-10, 01:36 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Originally Posted by stonewis
Weeezy... from what I've read (and I've read a lot!) the fob has a transmitter which is on the same frequency as the receiver in the car. The receiver is located on a chip that is inside the remote lock ecu. This ecu is located behind the panel that is adjacent to the back seat, passenger side. You have to have matching units; ie, the key and chip have to be matched to work. I know Sewell sells the set. You have to provide proof of ownership and have a few bucks... The one you buy off ebay will be matched to another car. Later model cars could be reprogrammed, but not the '92s.
good info. sucks I cant do it on my 92 =(
Old 02-22-10, 01:39 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Originally Posted by tuterz
is there any way i can take my chip out of my key now.. and install it into the new key? .. to one of those buttons.. i just like the look of those new keys better..
just a matter of resoldering the button. I opened up the master key, and saw only 2 soldered connections for the button. So, I guess you can say you can retrofit the master key internals to a new housing
Old 02-22-10, 01:56 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed

Jonny

Quick Reply: New key fob for my '92 SC?