SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sc400 restore/pimpage

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 08:28 AM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damm that headlight looks like they left the front end in a river for sometime....I saw this SC for sale a few weeks ago. Did it run atleast?
Old 02-21-10, 11:22 AM
zhillz
Lead Lap

Thanks for the comments guys.

Originally Posted by Neo300
I was wondering what you got... you don't say much about owning a SC on TR, lol.
Looks like you got quite a project on your hands! I just recently sold my Black Cherry Pearl GS300, and now own a '95 SC300 5-speed. Oh, by the way, I'm Si-R Trickey on TampaRacing.
Your car is beautiful! I havent really had the car long about a month and its really nothing to brag about yet. Dont mind me on TR I use it to buy/sell stuff and to talk **** to people on Pit Road on GCC.

Originally Posted by turbopwr
i just picked up an sc today in almost the same condition also! i believe that despite the condition the car has sooo much potential to be great so I picked it up.

To the OP how many miles are on yours?
175,xxx

Originally Posted by RawkusX187
Damm that headlight looks like they left the front end in a river for sometime....I saw this SC for sale a few weeks ago. Did it run atleast?
The one on clearwater craigslist? It runs great!
Old 02-21-10, 01:25 PM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

yea that one! Not to bust your bubble but you could've tried getting it cheaper with all the work the car needs.
Old 02-21-10, 01:44 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

zhillz, Glad to see she/Sc is in good hands, have fun with the rebuild and restoring the Sc to it's original (beautiful) state.
Old 02-21-10, 02:01 PM
zhillz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RawkusX187
yea that one! Not to bust your bubble but you could've tried getting it cheaper with all the work the car needs.
Good condition sc's are pretty pricey.

--------------------------------------------------

So here are the headlights. The one must have been holding water for a loooong time because it was rusted bad inside. I gave up hope on them so i kinda just threw them back together and im going to be forced to buy new ones. Its still an improvement!

I LOVE this SEM paint. Here is a side by side comparison of SEM vs the Duplicolor stuff.

SEM on top vs Duplicolor on bottom.

The Duplicolor is very splotchy and I can very easily scratch it off. I sprayed just the SEM Color Coat after a good scrub without using their prep stuff or adhesion promoter and 2 hours after i sprayed it i cannot scrape it off with my fingernail!

Thats the only panel I did today too see if I needed any of their prep stuff. I was going to do the carpet today but there has been overcast all day

Last edited by zhillz; 03-30-10 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-21-10, 02:03 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, is this strictly a restore build?

Or a restomod?
Old 02-21-10, 02:27 PM
djteddyk
Driver School Candidate

headlights before and after...night and day. Good luck
Old 02-21-10, 02:35 PM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Nice work so far.
Old 02-21-10, 02:36 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

SEM paint looks good!

sucks about the inside of the headlights.
+1 on the new ones, they are gonna look nice!
Old 02-22-10, 08:22 AM
zhillz
Lead Lap

Another rave about SEM. It is VERY forgiving. In attempt to follow the curves i laid it on thick a few times and i was sure it would run but nope, it dried evenly! When the can is low it does start to spit out air like all aerosol cans but this one doesnt spit globs of paint out! I love this stuff!

1 Can covered the 2 rear panels with the armrest in them, one of the panels above them that goes around the window and had a little left over. Im trying to keep track of how much a can covers for anyone who is looking for a reference on how much to buy.

I did 5-6 light coats you might be able to get away with as little as 4.
Old 02-23-10, 01:12 AM
nolexhere
Driver

Yea that stuff is great. There was this other product that was really good but I think it was from the uk or something and was a bit harder to find. Nice progress so far I'll chek back for updates
Old 02-23-10, 02:09 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, great progress!
Old 02-23-10, 07:50 PM
zhillz
Lead Lap

Look at this nasty *** carpet!

New black carpet and rear seats should be in any day! C'mon FedEx!

I attempted to wrap my headliner today but the way the sun roof was i didnt like it, so i decided to try the SEM. It works well, not hard or crunchy but it does take A LOT. I wish i didnt suck with upholstery.

I have a busy day tomorrow I dunna if I will be able to work on the car but ill try to get pictures of the headliner.

I also did the rear deck which since it is already dark brown, changed nicely! The SEM data sheet says its for carpets but not to change the color, only enhance; I totally agree.

My finger has a permanent indention in it now from all the spraying! Then i remember the nifty tool i had from prior projects. This thing is a lifesaver:

Since i ran out of paint now, and the shop i get mine from wont have any for a few days I decided to tackle another project. All my speakers are blown and before I thought it was a simple job to change rear speakers but you have to remove everything to get to them! Im supposed to be purchasing a new 10" sub tomorrow, i can just wire it up to the factory harness and it will work right? Im still rocking oem radio.

I have a few sets of 5" speakers from cars past and im installing some in the rear that i have, but they are ****ty xplods. Ill be getting better ones for the front.

All I did was screw into the outer lip and it fits perfect and snug.
The part that the wires connect to hit the lip the oem speaker sat on so I took the dremel to it and now its ok. Hopefully they dont stick too high and hit the speaker covers.

I broke the sub cover to hell so i have to make a new cover for it. The 2 small ones where ok but the cover on them had to go. I had plans to recover them but i think they looked ok without them. I touched them up with some of the Krylon Fusion paint which i also used on the wood trim pieces to make it different color then the SEM and be high gloss.

Last edited by zhillz; 02-23-10 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 08:01 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow nice job so far...you got a lot of work ahead.
Old 02-23-10, 08:15 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^ carpet looks bad. glad you removed that thing.. where did you source the black carpet? was it new?

Quick Reply: sc400 restore/pimpage